IP Address Issue: DISH on Demand

Whyclef

Original poster
Jan 26, 2016
Tyler, TX
We have a Hopper with Sling connected via ethernet (75 download/ 8 upload) using Suddelink Cable Internet. DISH on Demand has always been available on our Hopper and we have never had any problems. One week ago, we received a message that said, "Internet-based On Demand content is not available in your area, only On Demand content on your hard drive is displayed." It appears our IP Address displayed on the Hopper is a private IP address when searched, but when I google our IP address on my Macbook or iPhone it provides a different public IP address. That public IP address provides a location and name of the ISP. Dish is telling me to contact my ISP (Suddenlink), but I find it odd that the Hopper is my only connected device showing a private IP address.

Can anyone provide advice that I am unlikely to get from Tier 1 or Tier 2 of Dish tech support?

Is this an ISP issue or Dish Network software issue?

Thanks for the advice...

1. We attempted the reset of cable modem and the Hopper, unfortunately it did not resolve the issue.

2. The first 3 digits of the IP address showing up on the Hopper are 10.0

3. I will reach out to Suddenlink to see if the IP address was purchased from a different country and is showing outside of the USA.

Bring up a command prompt on a pc or laptop..type ipconfig..the default gateway will be the ip address your ISP assigned you..do a Google search on that ip.. to bring up a cmd prompt..go to start menu..search..type run..when the box pops up type cmd. .a small black window will appear..type the command in that bix

Bring up a command prompt on a pc or laptop..type ipconfig..the default gateway will be the ip address your ISP assigned you..do a Google search on that ip.. to bring up a cmd prompt..go to start menu..search..type run..when the box pops up type cmd. .a small black window will appear..type the command in that bix

Or...that will be the IP address of his router.

Reactions: TheKrell
Or...that will be the IP address of his router.
You might have to get in the router..so type that ip address in a browser..that will let you log into the router..look for a wan address..that will be your ISP ip address..hopefully not ipv6..if you reset your cable modem. .that usually forces your cable company or whoever..to issue you a new ip address..assuming they use a dhcp pool..resetting your router alone may not do it

You might have to get in the router..so type that ip address in a browser..that will let you log into the router..look for a wan address..that will be your ISP ip address..hopefully not ipv6
That's way overcomplicating it.

TheKrell's method above will give his public IP address, with links to see what at least one geolocation source says about it. There are multiple geolocation databases, and they do not always agree. No clue what Dish uses.

Also, simply googling "whats my ip" will give your public IP as the first answer.

Reactions: TheKrell
That's way overcomplicating it.

TheKrell's method above will give his public IP address, with links to see what at least one geolocation source says about it. There are multiple geolocation databases, and they do not always agree. No clue what Dish uses.

Also, simply googling "whats my ip" will give your public IP as the first answer.
I just provided another way to do it...if you reset your cable modem..the ip will change unless you pay for a static ip

I just provided another way to do it...if you reset your cable modem..the ip will change unless you pay for a static ip
Really depends on the provider. Around here Comcast and UVerse are effectively static, just not guaranteed to be. Same UVerse IP for 3+ years. Same Comcast IP since it was installed a year or so ago. But either could change any minute.

Really depends on the provider. Around here Comcast and UVerse are effectively static, just not guaranteed to be. Same UVerse IP for 3+ years. Same Comcast IP since it was installed a year or so ago. But either could change any minute.
No..static if you don't lose power or reboot..try it and watch it change..it's really done to prevent residential accounts to be used for businesses

No..static if you don't lose power or reboot..try it and watch it change..it's really done to prevent residential accounts to be used for businesses
Do you really think there hasn't been a reboot in over 3 years?

Multiple power outages, resets and reboots. The addresses don't change. It's usually a waste of money to pay for a static IP around here with those providers. If someone can't deal with a possible few minutes lag for dynamic dns to update once in a blue moon, then they probably need a whole different class of service.

It's dangerous to make blanket statements and silly to argue what you don't know.

Do you really think there hasn't been a reboot in over 3 years?

Multiple power outages, resets and reboots. The addresses don't change. It's usually a waste of money to pay for a static IP around here with those providers. If someone can't deal with a possible few minutes lag for dynamic dns to update once in a blue moon, then they probably need a whole different class of service.

It's dangerous to make blanket statements and silly to argue what you don't know.
It's not a blanket statement..it was a solution on how to change an ip address ..I have a bit of knowledge on the subject. .you can call your provider..who won't understand the problem till tier 3 or 4 support..just reboot. .grab another ip address and enjoy life..

It's not a blanket statement..it was a solution on how to change an ip address ..I have a bit of knowledge on the subject. .you can call your provider..who won't understand the problem till tier 3 or 4 support..just reboot. .grab another ip address and enjoy life..
You assume the IP will change. Maybe the OP's Suddenlink will, but many won't.