IP Addresses

Same ISP but my receivers are connected on the WAN side of the router so each one gets its own IP from the ISP.
Running anything on the WAN side of your router is something you can (and arguably should) be taken away by the men in the white coats for. Do you think your ISP provides a sufficient firewall to protect your DVR from attack?

Running anything on the WAN side of your router is something you can (and arguably should) be taken away by the men in the white coats for. Do you think your ISP provides a sufficient firewall to protect your DVR from attack?
I see no reason to worry abt someone attacking the DVR. Go ahead and try if you want.

Considering that Dish approves of having your STB's hooked-up to broadband as a substitute for a phone line, one would have to conclude that Dish is still able to determain, to a fair degree, that one is not account stacking.

What about if your main connection were cable, but in the HT room it were DSL and you had a total of 4 receivers (three connected to the cable and one connected to the DSL). Do you think they'd notice or care that there are two different IP addresses and providers?

I have a reciever in a room with a dedicated phone line separate from the main phone and was able to get dish to add that number to the account so they wouldn't react to seeing two different numbers.

Not sure what dish actually sees, as far as IP addresses go, but the actual IP address of my DVR is a local network IP assigned by DHCP from my firewall/router (I use smoothwall express if anyone is familiar) so on top of the fact that my IP from verizon is dynamic the actual ip of the dvr would mean nothing to dish as far as determing location. The IP assigned by Verizon, would at least return as being assigned in the general local area (i think it references Boston) as opposed to my actual town.
Really unless you are trying to do something you shouldn't be I think the only issue could be that when hooked up to the phone dish knows that your box is at the account holders location and you probably won't be bothered by the audit nazis. However if you are hooked up to just broadband dish only knows the general geographical location of your IP not the actual address it is assigned too so maybe you aren't totally immune to an audit????

FYI I just did a "WHOIS" search on the IP assigned to my DSL router and the best I can get is is that it is a boston verizon IP. I don't know if there is anyway of getting closer than that without going through verizon, of course who knows.....
Ross

Not sure what dish actually sees, as far as IP addresses go, but the actual IP address of my DVR is a local network IP assigned by DHCP from my firewall/router (I use smoothwall express if anyone is familiar) so on top of the fact that my IP from verizon is dynamic the actual ip of the dvr would mean nothing to dish as far as determing location. The IP assigned by Verizon, would at least return as being assigned in the general local area (i think it references Boston) as opposed to my actual town.
The idea is that if you have more than one Internet connected receiver behind a router, they will all talk to the mother ship on the Internet address of your router. NAT assures that it doesn't matter what your LAN addresses are in the grand scheme of the Internet.

DISH is justified in assuming that all of your networked receivers should have the same Internet IP address at any given time. The address doesn't need to be static for this to work. If DISH sends satellite signals to "call roll" and they get answers from different IP addresses, that will probably throw a monster flag that some receivers aren't co-located.

Down the road, IPV6 will trash this theory and they'll have to figure out another scheme but until then, the current scheme helps to some extent to detect account stacking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)