IPad App Updated - the start of Out-of-Home streaming

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

JerryVolunteer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
Memphis, TN
Could not find this so I apologize if there is already a thread.

I had an update to my Directv I pad App today that allows you to watch the Audience Network channel away from your home. I tested it out and it works great. Hopefully this is the beginning to getting more channels we can watch away from homes.

Very cool!!

Since that channel is Directv's, easy to see why it's the first to stream outside of home network.
Sadly I think we are still a bit away from adding other channels.

Edit.
Very reliable source is saying that my statement on adding other channels for viewing outside home network WILL happen sooner than later. Nice!!

Yes. Jason is that reliable source.:)

Last edited:
Just had a little conference this evening with DirecTV talking about the iPad updates today.

Audience Network is now available for out-of-home streaming - and is the only network at this time, but there will be other networks soon. Sounded like there will be some that are available in-home that will not be available out of home, but many will.

There will be an "On the Go" icon indicating available out of home.

There is also an update coming soon for the iphone app that will add in-home streaming similar to what we have on the ipad.

Android apps currently have very limited streaming of some ondemand and PPV, they are working on live streaming for androind devices as well.

Couple side notes -
iphone 5 - app will not be formatted for the larger screen at launch.
Nomad - still working on ipad, android, etc, but it is coming soon.

They will have to format the app for the iphone 5 soon. They will get alot of complaints on that

I'm sure they will, but it will be good and functional until the next update. Apple is so secretive about that stuff, I think there will be a ton of app developers working overtime for the next month or so, industry-wide.

The Directv iPad app is the only app that I know of that has hdmi out and converts to full 16:9 HDTV. Very nice feature and hope this is kept through these updates. Will come in handy while watching out of town on another HDTV.

Does this allow live stream on jb iPad away from home network?

tigerfan33 said:
Does this allow live stream on jb iPad away from home network?

Just allows you to do exactly what the APP is supposed to do. DirecTV blocks the APP from working on JB devices. But they are not smart enough to realize that JB also allows work arounds.

Sent from my Jailbroken iPad using SatelliteGuys

But they are not smart enough to realize that JB also allows work arounds.

That may not be a fair statement, they may be plenty smart enough to know there are workarounds.

It may be that the jailbreak deterrent is required by content providers, which all TV companies will prioritize anything to keep the content providers happy. They may simply choose to have the deterrent, but not be concerned with the loophole so to speak.

Kinda like Apple with the jailbreaking, if they took a hard stance and made the software unbeatable, they would sell less phones.

jcrandall said:
That may not be a fair statement, they may be plenty smart enough to know there are workarounds.

It may be that the jailbreak deterrent is required by content providers, which all TV companies will prioritize anything to keep the content providers happy. They may simply choose to have the deterrent, but not be concerned with the loophole so to speak.

Kinda like Apple with the jailbreaking, if they took a hard stance and made the software unbeatable, they would sell less phones.

You're probably right.

Sent from my Jailbroken iPad using SatelliteGuys

iPhone app update is out.
Let's you watch movies and tv programs anywhere that you have available. Stream live channels within your home network.
HDMI out let's you play on big screen HDTV but unlike the iPad app does not fill the whole screen.

Last edited:
Hdmi out works after iOS 6 update but will not expand video to the whole HDTV but uses center only like other apps.

Streams tv and movies fine unlike my iPhone after update.

Per Satelliteracer.

Two more channels launching on tv everywhere today in home. DIY and ION.

Bigger news is 4 more channels to launch out of home network. beIN, SONY, Shorts and AXSTV.
The way I see it the more channels added outside the home make more room for more channels to be added later. Or sooner.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts