iPAD Mini Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
We're getting close to the launch of the iPAD mini ( unofficial name ). It seems that Apple can no longer control it's upcoming product secrets these days. Main leaks are coming from component suppliers. The real question is when and what's the cost.

Apple Suppliers Now Mass-Producing Tablets Smaller Than Existing iPad -Sources
3:21a ET October 3, 2012 (Dow Jones)
Apple Suppliers Now Mass-Producing Tablets Smaller Than Existing iPad -Sources

By Lorraine Luk

TAIPEI--Apple Inc.'s (AAPL) Asian component suppliers have started mass production of a new tablet computer smaller than the current iPad, people with knowledge of the situation said Wednesday, as the Silicon Valley company tries to stay competitive against rivals such as Google Inc. and Amazon.com Inc. that are offering smaller, less expensive alternatives to the iPad.
Two of the people said that the smaller tablet will have a 7.85-inch liquid crystal display with a lower resolution compared with the latest iPad model that came out in March. South Korea's LG Display Co. (034220.SE) and Taiwan's AU Optronics Corp. (2409.TW) last month started mass production of the LCD screens for the new device, they said.
The current iPad's screen measures 9.7 inches. The size hasn't changed since the first model was released in 2010.
Apple spokeswomen in the U.S. and Beijing didn't immediately respond to requests for comment.
Apple's smaller tablet comes at a time when competition is intensifying in the fast-growing market segment. Since the original iPad was released, competitors have released devices in various sizes, technical specifications and prices. In July, Google, already Apple's biggest software rival with its Android mobile operating system, launched the Nexus 7, a tablet device with a seven-inch screen that sells for $199. Last month, Amazon unveiled the latest models of its Kindle Fire tablets, with the entry-level model priced at $159. Apple's newest iPad, released in March, starts at $499.
The Wall Street Journal first reported in February that Apple was testing a smaller tablet. In July, people familiar with the matter told the Journal that Apple's suppliers were preparing to begin mass production of the smaller tablet in September.
In August, technology blog website AllThingsD reported that Apple was planning to hold a special event in October to unveil the smaller tablet.
Analysts said a smaller tablet could help Apple broaden its product portfolio and stay competitive in the increasingly crowded market. Christine Wang, an analyst at Daiwa Capital Markets in Taipei, said that she expects a smaller Apple tablet to sell at lower prices than the current iPad. It would appeal to those consumers who find the iPad too heavy or too expensive, she said.
"Many people use the iPad to play games and watch videos, but they cannot hold it with one hand," said Ms. Wang.
Market research firm IHS iSuppli has forecast that global tablet sales will surge 85% this year to 126.6 million units. Last year, the iPad held a dominant share of roughly 60% of the global tablet market.

--Ian Sherr in San Francisco contributed to this article.

Write to Lorraine Luk at lorraine.luk@dowjones.com

I'm curious too as to what this will cost and the final specs.

Apple's threat Nexus 7. Let the games begin.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I'll make a prediction too- I predict this ipad mini will not be a very big boost to Apple's bottom line. It will steal some market share for those who want a smaller tablet and would have gone to another brand but the numbers here will be small. I feel what ipad mini gains will be mostly subtracted from the ipad3 sales.

I look to Apple TV to be the next big catalyst to push the stock over $1000 a share once the Apple TV momentum is underway, say in a year after introduction.

After that, Apple will have lost it's mojo for innovation. Apple TV is the last big innovation from the Steve Jobs legacy. Unless it continues to innovate, Apple will settle in to become another Microsoft. I don't see Apple stock losing value, rather it just will cease to be a growth stock.

Where to grow: Social media better than Facebook, advertising better than Google, enterprise better than Dell&Rim did.

Report in this morning is that the initial mfg order for the ipad mini is 10 Million. It will be more powerful than competitors, but a bit heavier. Analysts, are seeing a $300 base price target. ipad mini will hit the market soon enough to make impact on 4th quarter earnings reports.

Am going to say 249$. You heard it hear folks!
Cheers, K
I doubt it, especially if they're going to give it cellular capabilities. I'd say it has to be at least $300 for a WiFi only version, but I would not be surprised if starting price was $400.

Personally I don't think this is a great idea. It seems more like Apple just acting to be in a market that it currently isn't in, as opposed to doing something really innovative like the original iPad was.

I doubt it, especially if they're going to give it cellular capabilities. I'd say it has to be at least $300 for a WiFi only version, but I would not be surprised if starting price was $400.

Personally I don't think this is a great idea. It seems more like Apple just acting to be in a market that it currently isn't in, as opposed to doing something really innovative like the original iPad was.

I could see a WiFi only version in the $250-280 range to be very competitive with Amazon. By now Apple must know how much itunes revenue each iPad produces and can factor that into the selling price.

I wonder if they are going to go with the iPad 2 resolution. It would give a higher pixel density on the smaller screen and would not introduce a third iPad pixel count.

I could see iPad mini $269 16mb wifi and $499 with 32mb LTE.

Amazon announced they do not make a profit on their Kindles at current prices. I think Apple should make the mini robust feature-wise and keep the, price high to make a good profit. Keep the quality high. If people want a cheap tablet, let them get cheap quality. How does the saying go? People are reminded of the cheap quality long after they forget the $75 price discount saved at time of purchase.

Apple just sent invitations out to key people for an October 23rd date to announce: " We have a 'little' something more to show you." The presentation will be in San Jose, CA.

I knew something was up because Apple stock popped $15 a share about an hour ago and with the news release of the invitation the stock is shooting up vertically.

The quarterly earnings report is scheduled for October 25th.

Rumored prices leaked anyway.

I don't see Apple changing their pricing structure away from having a good initial margin to work with. They'd be taking a chance on profits with low to no margin on an iPad mini.

Does anyone have access to information about the income derived per iOS device?

I think it is crazy how these companies(not just apple) charge so much more for more memory. 8gb 249...64gb 549 I mean really. Or am I missing something here and need to go back to bed and get more sleep. Is there any thing different besides more memory?

I think it is crazy how these companies(not just apple) charge so much more for more memory. 8gb 249...64gb 549 I mean really. Or am I missing something here and need to go back to bed and get more sleep. Is there any thing different besides more memory?

It is like a Chevy vs a Cadillac a few optional extras thrown in and they get a lot more profit.

With only 8GB you essentially have a streaming only device (I believe Apple TV is 8GB). You really need 32 or 64 GB if you want to download a bunch of shows/movies to watch offline (i.e. while traveling).

It is like a Chevy vs a Cadillac a few optional extras thrown in and they get a lot more profit.

With only 8GB you essentially have a streaming only device (I believe Apple TV is 8GB). You really need 32 or 64 GB if you want to download a bunch of shows/movies to watch offline (i.e. while traveling).

I understand that. In reality though all you are getting is more memory. What I was asking was, is there anything else that the device has or comes pre-installed with. I wonder how hard it would be to buy an 8GB version and self upgrade the memory in those things. I bet they are using some sort of propriety chips that will only work with their system to prevent people from doing that.

I understand that. In reality though all you are getting is more memory. What I was asking was, is there anything else that the device has or comes pre-installed with. I wonder how hard it would be to buy an 8GB version and self upgrade the memory in those things. I bet they are using some sort of propriety chips that will only work with their system to prevent people from doing that.

They are usually soldered on the motherboard. Not something that an average person can change.

The base 8GB unit is overpriced by 50$ compared to its competition. I certainly wont overpay just because it has the name APPLE on it.

Cheers, K

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)