iPAD Mini Thread

The base price point may or may not make sense; it will all depend on the hardware features available on the device as compared to 7" offerings from competitors. Kraven, those already within the Apple ecosystem likely won't think twice in paying a little more for the Apple 7" tablet versus an Android 7" tablet. The potential savings from not having to repurchase apps they already own will likely make up that difference in a hurry.

I really like my ipad3 but if windows 8 tablet comes out and can run MS Office suite as well as any other windows 64 bit software, I'm game to try one. Having an android phone, I see no advantage to Android over iOS or vice versa. Both, IMO, are crippled computers. A MS windows 8 tablet would give me the advantage of a computer in a tablet form factor. In this case I don't care if it is a 7" or a 10" tablet. But, I'm not hooked into the Apple infrastructure. I do understand how the Apple user, waiting for a mini ipad would find it appealing and the higher price is not an issue. Likewise, if the windows 8 tablet can do what I need, a $50 higher price than what I paid for the ipad3 with LTE and 64Gb would be worth it to me. I don't mind paying a little more if the device can do what I need. Some people just by tech to have it ( addicted to having the latest tech) and they need to worry over price, even small differences.

I am still baffled at the need for a 7" iPad. Other than the desire to take on the Amazon Fire, I see it as a niche market; the user like my MIL who really only wants to read books, scroll through FB, and do light web browsing. And that's ok I guess. I know I started strongly in the 7" camp, way back with the first Galaxy Tab, and while I enjoyed my over-sized OG Droid, it just was not practical for reading PDFs, taking notes at meetings, or much real productivity. Thus, after swearing off the iPad 1 for a year, I jumped ship to the iPad 2 (and now 3) and have never looked back. While I don't use the iPad for everything, the iPad goes everywhere.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this mini.

I wonder how many will buy this that already have any of the three previous models?

I'm very happy with the 3 coming from the original. I may bite on this for work or maybe the Fire hd. I tried the original fire and it was so so...... I've tried several other tablets too but nothing yet compares to the iPad Imo.

A lot of people just prefer the smaller form factor. It really is a personal preference.

I wonder how many will buy this that already have any of the three previous models?

I'm very happy with the 3 coming from the original. I may bite on this for work or maybe the Fire hd. I tried the original fire and it was so so...... I've tried several other tablets too but nothing yet compares to the iPad Imo.

I am 100% content with the iPad 3, and see no personal reason for the mini. Even the Fire HD offers nothing, since I have the Amazon prime iOS app. If I get another device, it will be a new e-ink Kindle, but even then, that is low priority as the one I have works perfectly fine for the times I need it - mostly in summer when outside in bright light.

But I see the market, its for a different type of user than me.

I think the reason for Apple to sell a collection of ipad mini's is to grab that section of the tablet Market they do not have. When you got your Galaxy, Mike, I felt you would really like it for the ability to carry it in your sport coat pocket. I tried one and found it fit nicely. But maybe you don't wear a coat to work, or, maybe you do but carry a "manpurse" or attache case big enough to stow a full size iPAD. For whatever your reason, I feel many people would buy the iPAD mini for it's smaller size and also, there may be a sizable market of other small tablet owners who are satisfied but really like the smaller size. Now they can upgrade to the real deal, an ipad and have the smaller size too. I don't see this being a huge market for Apple, rather just a 7" form factor killer for the competition. Apple can afford this line to maintain dominance in tablets.

I am still baffled at the need for a 7" iPad. Other than the desire to take on the Amazon Fire, I see it as a niche market; the user like my MIL who really only wants to read books, scroll through FB, and do light web browsing. And that's ok I guess. I know I started strongly in the 7" camp, way back with the first Galaxy Tab, and while I enjoyed my over-sized OG Droid, it just was not practical for reading PDFs, taking notes at meetings, or much real productivity. Thus, after swearing off the iPad 1 for a year, I jumped ship to the iPad 2 (and now 3) and have never looked back. While I don't use the iPad for everything, the iPad goes everywhere.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this mini.

Personally I would agree, but my mom found the ipad too heavy to hold for long periods reading books and got a kindle fire.

Strictly speaking "it" doesn't exist yet so it isn't a choice. Of course if you hang out on any of the tech sites, the rumors are getting quite loud :D

The way Apple leaks have poured out of Cupertino the past year, I'd be utterly shocked if it isn't coming soon. But yeah, the roar is deafening.

The way Apple leaks have poured out of Cupertino the past year, I'd be utterly shocked if it isn't coming soon. But yeah, the roar is deafening.

Clearly the fear of St. Jobs is not with them anymore ;)

In thinking back to the original iPad, I think the leaks have gone way up with each succeeding generation of product. So much so that now the actual event is somewhat of a letdown.

Clearly the fear of St. Jobs is not with them anymore ;)

In thinking back to the original iPad, I think the leaks have gone way up with each succeeding generation of product. So much so that now the actual event is somewhat of a letdown.

Right on John! That is the exact strategy that made me an obscene amount of money this year and last trading Apple. What I can't figure out is why so many of my smart friends haven't followed suit with this obvious money tree. I'm usually selling the run up about 20-30 minutes into the presentation. Apple is the only company that has such consistency,... for the past 3 years actually. The death of Steve and lack of his presence just made the process more consistent. This time it is going to have a bit of a twist, however, and that is the product announcement is very close to the earnings report and then we have the national political scene election right after that. I don't have a clue how that will affect Apple movement. One thing I do know is that for moderately long investment, the politics won't really affect the investors. However, dollar devaluation and QE3 certainly will. It makes the market go up, including Apple.
As far as the device itself, I don't think any of the announcements have been a let down for device buyers, only investors. The sales numbers and buying frenzy don't support that. So, if your comment about disappointment had to do with purchasers, then we disagree.