Ipad or Droid Tablet?

Witch one you think is better?

• Apple Ipad

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • Droid Tablet

Votes: 16 47.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Highly doubtful Apple will introduce it at CES; they usually have a show the week AFTER CES. I guess they don't like having to share any spotlight. :)

Seems kind of quick to introduce the ipad 2. Might piss off a lot of people who spent big bucks on ipad 1 not 8 months prior.

Check the sit Mac rumor site and their are posting stating that the iPad 2 will be introduced at ces as steve job is one of the main speakers. They have also stated that their is a good change that the version iPhone 4 will also be mentioned.

Check the sit Mac rumor site and their are posting stating that the iPad 2 will be introduced at ces as steve job is one of the main speakers. They have also stated that their is a good change that the version iPhone 4 will also be mentioned.

Where are you getting that he will be at CES? He is not on the keynote list: 2011 CES: Keynotes

Or is this coming from rumor sites as well? I'd be surprised that CES would keep it a secret; they have had a few rough years with attendance, and any opportunity to bring in a big name like that would be big news for them.

I will probably consider an iPad 2.0/3.0 when a laptop of mine breaks. But, for now the laptops do fine for what I use them for. I admit a tablet is a sexy device, but not worth the $$ for just limited use by me. So, when it finally comes down to replacing a laptop, I will have to look at the current iPad vs other tablets vs a new notebook.

Mike- As I understand, ipad users do get more sex, but... :)

ipad was announced last year in January so a year out is not unusual for Apple updates. It's the new Android devices that seem to be announced every 4 weeks.

I don't believe pad devices will ever replace laptops for a variety of reasons:
1. No DVD play/recording devices.
2. No content creation of a complex nature, just very simple content creation.
3. No file manipulation / management. Pads are all behind the scenes.

If you find your use of the laptop 99% content consumption and 1% creation, then an ipad may be for you. Mine is about 90:10 consumption when away from my office so I may carry both but for short day trips, the ipad is easier and faster and combined with my cell phone for low cost internet, it's perfect!

Some things are definitely superior even to my desktop and laptop due to the apps. Weather maps are amazing. I have 4 different ones including the hurricane tracking app. All are animated over time and one even accesses webcams around the region you are viewing, just tap on the image icon and the webcam comes up full screen. These maps offer a complete weather station in just a few taps of my finger, like turning on a couple light switches. No links to recall and no long typing. Then I switch to my stock portfolio with Ameritrade and I get all sorts of charts data and research tools equal to my desktop, this integrated with video clips of news stories on business networks, etc, then tap and I have games, all sorts of games like pool, pinball, poker, chess, solitaire, and xbox like games as well. Even PONG and Pacman. tap again and I open a book I've been reading to include reference lookups that are fast slick and just easy to do. Hit one button to close an ap and it remembers where you were in a game book , website, etc when you return later. The reading is in color and makes even the Kindle better than the Kindle device itself. Like I can highlight a term in a book and search it on safari web browser as easy as placing my finger on it dragging and selecting a lookup function. Buying and installing an app is not like a laptop. You select the app from a review page called the app store, tap your finger on the order it button and enter your passcode for security purposes, and it downloads and installs within seconds.

Everything about content consumption is just easier and faster than a laptop. What isn't easier and faster is printing a document. Hopefully Apple will have this issue fixed in the new OS update.

When it comes to camera integration, the little USB port works great with most video files and still images. I even connect my Sony HDR SR12 HD hard drive camcorder to it and import video and still images. There is not one camera I own that doesn't work with the ipad.

I haven't tried the Apple BT keyboard but I have a generic fold away keyboard that works. However, the onscreen KB works just as well. I sometimes get annoyed at its spell checker and have to keep an eye on it because it sometimes guesses the wrong spelling of a word.

Just be careful about thinking an ipad will replace your laptop. That will only be possible if all you use a laptop for is content consumption plus e-mail.

BTW- for movies, you have to use something like slingbox app or Netflix as there is no DVD drive in the pads.

If you do a bunch of media viewing like long HD video podcasts, I'd recommend getting the 64Gb version.

Last edited:
I would get a Droid if I would get one, but I highly doubt that I would get one at those prices that they are quoting. I would buy one if they were $99 though.

Ramy- I have seen the Google tablet 10" advertised for $194. But I'd need to see what the quality is for that price. I want a hands on before I would even consider any of these ipad wannabees. One thing I know is the ipad I have was well worth what I paid.

Ramy- I have seen the Google tablet 10" advertised for $194. But I'd need to see what the quality is for that price. I want a hands on before I would even consider any of these ipad wannabees. One thing I know is the ipad I have was well worth what I paid.

Oh yeah, I would definetly have to play with one first before I bought one.

Where are you getting that he will be at CES? He is not on the keynote list: 2011 CES: Keynotes

Or is this coming from rumor sites as well? I'd be surprised that CES would keep it a secret; they have had a few rough years with attendance, and any opportunity to bring in a big name like that would be big news for them.

Sorry I was wrong. Steve job will be their but at verzion invitation. He will introduce the verzion iPhone 4 model. The part of the rumor that he may introduce a new iPad that will work on the verzion platform.

Here is the latest information on the new iPad 2 7-Inch iPad Resembling iPhone 4 Now a 'Finished Product'? - Mac Rumors

Steve job will be their but at version invitation. He will introduce the version iPhone 4 model.
Steve will introduce a NEW phone for the FIRST time on a NEW network as an invitee?

I'll sooner believe that new phone will do dishes...:)

Diogen.

This afternoon I went to Best Buy and asked the guy's in the store Where are all the non Apple tablets? They said they will carry them when they are out but no one knows when they will have an Android Tablet or any other OS tablet. He suggested I go over and buy an ipad as it is the best anyway. :) I smiled and said I just wanted to see what all the noise was about competition but I already own an ipad and love it.

So, with 50% of the people here claiming to having Droid Tablets, where the hell did you get them?
I think this poll is about fanboys of vaporware vs, owners of the real thing. Until you can have one and use it, it's vaporware!

Ten days ago I had in my hands for about 5 minutes the Galaxy Tab (brought for one local exec from Germany).

Aside from not used to Android devices menus in German, it was everything as expected.
It had both WiFi and 3G but the latter didn't work with Rogers. Google Maps were gorgeous.
Kindle reader excellent. Touchscreen was good (not excellent).
WiFi worked, directly and tethered through my Nexus One.

Not much else I could figure out.

To have a chance to compare, one has to have interest in tablet as a class.
I have no interest in any of the members of the "jailed" Apple ecosystem...

Diogen.

I think what sums it up for me ( note I am not an Apple fanboy, just happy with my ipad) is my interest is in what can these Android devices do better than my ipad?

Here's my list of shortcomings for ipad-
1. Flash
2. Print ( via USB port )
3. File management

Having alternatives, I can get along without them but would be nice to have everything I have in ipad plus these.

If jail is like being on paradise island, who cares? I can leave when I want and return when I want. Android tablet= Razzle Dazzle me but first you need to be here.

I think what sums it up for me ( note I am not an Apple fanboy, just happy with my ipad) is my interest is in what can these Android devices do better than my ipad?

Here's my list of shortcomings for ipad-
1. Flash
2. Print ( via USB port )
3. File management

Having alternatives, I can get along without them but would be nice to have everything I have in ipad plus these.

If jail is like being on paradise island, who cares? I can leave when I want and return when I want. Android tablet= Razzle Dazzle me but first you need to be here.

I did not realize there were not file management apps available. How on earth do you manage one with 64gb of stuff?

Or can you if you jailbreak?

Agreed on Android tablet. Seems to be just an idea right now. Kind of pathetic actually.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)