iPad

Frank Jr.

Beati pacifici 5:9
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 8, 2004
Columbia S.C.
I got an iPad for Christmas. What a neat thing it is.
I want to share some of my first impressions.​
First of all it is impressive, but in my opinion would never replace a small cheap laptop, not even close to a laptop. Down the road when the battery dies, can I easily replace it? I think not. What a pain it is to learn everything I need to know to work the thing. Before I could get it to work properly I had to down load itunes??? Definitely not user friendly, especially for someone like me. The hoops I had to go through just to get it to work was nothing less than aggravating. I am scared to mishandle the thing. I need to put a protective bumper guard around it and place a protective shield on the display/touch pad. Thats about 60, 70 or so bucks out my wallet. In the box it came with an apple decal. What the heck am I supposed to do with that? :D
From day one I really liked it, but don't really know why, but I do.:confused::D

Last edited:
There are a number of good cases for the iPad that will help protect it a bit. I got the Apple case as it was about the best one at the time. As for a screen protector, I think they are a total waste of rme and money. I got my iPad the week after they came out and have nary a scratch or any problem with screen.

For me iTunes wasn't an issue because I'm an Apple kind of guy and was already using it anyway. If you're like most, you'll find more and more uses for it as time goes by.

There are a number of good cases for the iPad that will help protect it a bit. I got the Apple case as it was about the best one at the time. As for a screen protector, I think they are a total waste of rme and money. I got my iPad the week after they came out and have nary a scratch or any problem with screen.

For me iTunes wasn't an issue because I'm an Apple kind of guy and was already using it anyway. If you're like most, you'll find more and more uses for it as time goes by.
Thanks! I do like it. I played with it all last night. I down loaded the manual and have some further reading to do. That decal.... Anyway I do want that bumper guard. I like keeping my stuff looking new. Thanks again.;)

yea i got one too just wifi as that's what i needed, been a iphone user so not a big stretch - intend to use it more than using the desktop - i want o get a case to put it in when not in use and need to find somewhere to charge it.
tried to restore my iphone to get me started but then found most of my itune setting were all wrong and so all my contacts of the phone werent copied, the photo's werent copied - fixed now but needed to thing differntly.
i bought a couple of apps - a hotmail client and skyfire web browser client that will play flash video

i really like the free cnbc app very well done app for ipad plus started playing "words with friends"with my wife and kids

Been discussing this in another thread but I strongly recommend the zagg invisible shield as a screen protector. $25 well spent.

I have it on my galaxy tab.

As far as a screen protector for the iPad, I would not even worry about it. It takes a lot to scratch up the glass.

I've never put one on my iPhone. I have had it for 2 years, carry it in my pocket with my keys and money, and there is not a single scratch on it at all. And the iPhone screen is not near as strong as the one on the iPad

I was out at Best buy and saw Mike's fav ZAGG screen protector but really, the price nearly knocked me over. Unless you have small children banging toys on your tablet like Mike does, don't waste your money. Just use the tap with the pad of your finger and you'll be fine. Mine get used several hours a day and doesn't have a scratch on it. As for the case- I really like the Apple one for $39. Seems pricey but it serves as a protector, slide resistance cover, and it can be used as a stand. If you need more than that, like my wife does because she will be carrying it to work every day get the Targus Crave. Nice carrying case and has an accessory zippered pocket for carrying the few accessories you may need, like the charger, USB adapter, SD card reader and I also have a video dongle for plugging into a bigger projector or hotel room TV. The Crave is sized perfectly for the ipad with the Apple case on it and has lots of safety padding.

I agree the start up is too much trouble for many people and it requires you have a computer so the ipad is soon discovered to be a satellite device of your computer. Later on this will be to your advantage so bear with the initial setup process. The itunes app on your computer will allow you to keep a backup of your ipad and allow you to share your ipad content with other ipads and iOS devices under one account. This is the secret to saving money on apps when you have more than one iOS device. Pay once use the app or content on 5 devices. Just register than under one account.

Does it replace your laptop? I think this depends. For us, it does for many functions, mainly those that can be classified as content use rather than content create. For reading news books, viewing photos and video, movies, surfing the internet, reading magazines, using cloud computing apps ( like my stock trading ) watching sling box Dish Network programs, reading and posting on satelliteguys, the ipad is better and more convenient than the laptop. For building large complex spreadsheets, doing complicated photo retouch and video TV show program development, use the full computer. Typing a simple letter and printing copies it's 6 of one half dozen of the other. Reading and answering e-mail, the ipad is much faster. Keeping your calendar of tasks to do and a contact list, the ipad is nice but I feel the smart phone is better for this with a copy synced on the ipad. Taking pictures... Smart phone is better camera because the ipad is too clumsy large as a camera. Video conferencing is not possible with ipad but today, the Galaxy Tab has the corner on this. Some people feel this was a mistake Apple left out the two camera capability but rumor has it it will be on the iPAD2 ( thanks Samsung for leading Apple into that.) Bottom line- there is a right tool for the job and ipad does many of the jobs better than a laptop but the laptop is certainly not replaced for complex creation work by any of these tablet devices.

If you haven't already done so, you should update your OS version to 4.2.1 as it has important features that make using the ipad much better. Multitasking, wifi printing, and folder grouping of applications.

The Apple decal is mainly for Apple heads. If you are into the cult persuasion, you'll want to stick that where others will see it, like on your forehead. :D If not, stick it where the sun doesn't shine then flush it down the toilet.

Last edited:
Frank, yeah you do have to learn a brand new way of doing stuff. As Mike said elsewhere, tap, doubletap, tap and hold, tap and pinch to shrink, tap and unpinch to expand.

The biggest issue I had was tapping small closely spaced widgets on the browser and getting the wrong one. I finally learned that when I am confident and don't worry about it, I usually hit the correct one.

Downloading everything from Itunes is a pain, and Apple's way of controlling the app market. That long itunes download probably included the 4.2 upgrade. You should be OK, and a long one won't happen again for some time.

One interesting thing I have found is that my account is also linked to my son's ipod touch. Anything he downloads shows up on my ipad and vica versa. I end up with some apps that I wouldn't have looked at but now like. It also works great for ibooks where we can both read the new one at the same time, although he chews through them faster.

Actually, I find it a sufficient laptop for most things. Good browser, reasonable GPS (the 3G model), ok editor for casual text entry, good games, great book reader. It is a nice gadget to carry with you just in case.

This old dawg is learning new tricks. Thanks guys for all the info. I am one of those dummies that hardly reads the instruction manuals on anything. Big mistake with this thing. (lol) Thanks Don for the advice on the decal.:D I think I will just keep it in the box the pad came with though.;) I do have some research to do. That's ok I like that sort of stuff. Thanks again guys.:)

Don Landis said:
They wanted $39 for the ipad version. Bigger screen area I guess. I passed on it.

Best buy is often twice as expensive as amazon. They are expensive but compared with the other ones I have seen they are great protectors and feel like they aren't even there.

But to each his own. :)

Frank- With the new iOS and multitasking watch out for this little glitch- If you open up lots of apps while on you may find you run out of memory, the ipad will slow down or even give you a warning you are out of memory. Double tap the button and bring up the multitasking tray on the bottom. This will show you all the apps that are currently using memory. Shut some off by touching one and hold until they all squiggle and have a red minus sign. Touch the minus sign one at a time to free up the memory. then shut off the close function by taping the button once. Sometimes I discover 12-15 apps in multitasking before the ipad gives a memory warning. This is new to 4.2.1.

Frank- With the new iOS and multitasking watch out for this little glitch- If you open up lots of apps while on you may find you run out of memory, the ipad will slow down or even give you a warning you are out of memory. Double tap the button and bring up the multitasking tray on the bottom. This will show you all the apps that are currently using memory. Shut some off by touching one and hold until they all squiggle and have a red minus sign. Touch the minus sign one at a time to free up the memory. then shut off the close function by taping the button once. Sometimes I discover 12-15 apps in multitasking before the ipad gives a memory warning. This is new to 4.2.1.
So far I haven't added many apps, just a few like Satelliteguys, weather & news and configured my email. One aggravating thing I am experiencing is that once I turn it off and later turn it back on, it sometimes will not reconnect to my wireless router. I have to re enter the pass key. I have surfed the net and found many discussions about that. Thanks for the heads up about running to many apps.;)
obtw Carol likes playing Farmville on it. I made the mistake of installing that game just to see how well it would run.:rolleyes: I will delete that one:D

Last edited:
Frank Jr. said:
So far I haven't added many apps, just a few like Satelliteguys, weather & news and configured my email. One aggravating thing I am experiencing is that once I turn it off and later turn it back on, it sometimes will not reconnect to my wireless router. I have to re enter the pass key. I have surfed the net and found many discussions about that. Thanks for the heads up about running to many apps.;) obtw Carol likes playing Farmville on it. I made the mistake of installing that game just to see how well it would run.:rolleyes: I will delete that one:D

Well, you know the solution to Carol spending too much time on your iPad don't you? :)

Hey, do yourself a favor and go to the app store and download an app called Tips & Tricks. You can search it. This will answer many of your how do I? Questions.

Not sure about wifi password issues, mine works trouble free on all but my repeater. On that, the repeater itself reverts to looking for WEP as opposed to WPA and I have to reset it. Not really an iPad problem. It recalls PW after weeks of non use of that said so the memory on PW is working fine here.

One aggravating thing I am experiencing is that once I turn it off and later turn it back on, it sometimes will not reconnect to my wireless router. I have to re enter the pass key. I have surfed the net and found many discussions about that.

Frank

I had this same issue once with the kids iPod touches. It happened after I changed my WAP key without having a new SSID. The way i fixed the issue was by just changing both the SSID and WAP key at the same time. This allowed me to setup a new network connection and I have not seen the issue again since.

Frank

I had this same issue once with the kids iPod touches. It happened after I changed my WAP key without having a new SSID. The way i fixed the issue was by just changing both the SSID and WAP key at the same time. This allowed me to setup a new network connection and I have not seen the issue again since.
Thanks for the advice.:) I called Apple Support earlier and found out my router required a firmware update. I didn't want to believe the support tech as on my router page it indicated there was no update available. Once I got off the phone with them I went to the Belkin firmware updates site and found that mystery update. Things seem to be working fine. One thing, I am really impressed with Apples Support Techs. Not what I am used too!;) Thanks Jag for your help!

Well I spoke to soon! Still had the problem. Called tech support again, we turned off sleep mode. Works fine. Enable sleep mode and it will not transmit pass key after sleeping. Sounds like me after a long night. (lol). It's a bug.
Well after leaving it off for about 30 minutes I still have the same issue. Tech told me to take it back to where it was purchased for a replacement or send it in for repair. chit!​

Last edited: