iPad

I don't have Apple support service here. I was really put off by the capability of local store help too, on every, I mean every occasion I have tried to get their help. They know nothing! I try to avoid the Apple store. Last time I went in there was after I bought the double dongle for USB port and SD card and couldn't get it to recognize quicktime mov files. The store support guy couldn't understand that either so his solution was to return the ipad and the dongle kit to Apple for repair! Later I found the answer on one of the support forums. The "Camera Kit" as they call it doesn't support certain mov file sizes. So we reformatted the video to ipad compatible and it worked great. The other issue I had with this was the SD card reader for importing jpeg files. The undocumented trick is to have the jpegs in a folder as the ipad doesn't recognize the files on the root. Today, I always stick SD card files in a folder labeled DCIM because that works and is what most cameras use. Duh!

I looked on many forums using search term " ipad can't remember wifi password " and come away with the idea that there is no single reason why this happens to some and not others. I have not had the issue here. Weak signal on wifi yes but that is true for all laptops and the ipad and my phone in that part of the house. I have now fixed it. But can't remember wifi encryption PW has not been an issue. I'm thinking it may be a problem with router configuration ( not that you would know because it may be something under the covers. ) Have you tested other encryptions? I do not recommend not using any encryption. But just switch the router then test the ipad for awhile.

I hate to suggest this but it is one test that I did not read about- Apple has a router they call Airport. Get with an Apple sales moron at the store and explain your problem, tell him you would like to test the Airport router to see if it fixes the problem but if it doesn't, then you want to return it. ( But regardless if it solves the problem or not, return it and lie! unless of course you want to just keep the Airport ) Now you know it must be your router, router configuration, or router bug. If it doesn't work with your ipad, then I'd reboot the ipad clean and reinstall everything from itunes. I've done this once for the upgrade and it went pretty fast compared to the first time.

This may be some sort of bug, or something with my router. With the iPad I found a way to quickly connect back by turning the wifi off and then back on again. While still somewhat aggravating it's not as bad as when I was re entering the WPA key. Tomorrow I will try what Jag recommended by changing the SSID and WPA(2) Key on the router. I will definitely make the key shorter this time. If that works I will have to change a laptop and two 722k's that are connected to the router as well. Even with this issue I really like my iPad. I found a white and yellow page directory app that will come in handy. (just one of a bunch I have found)

I looked on many forums using search term " ipad can't remember wifi password " and come away with the idea that there is no single reason why this happens to some and not others. I have not had the issue here. Weak signal on wifi yes but that is true for all laptops and the ipad and my phone in that part of the house. I have now fixed it. But can't remember wifi encryption PW has not been an issue. I'm thinking it may be a problem with router configuration ( not that you would know because it may be something under the covers. ) Have you tested other encryptions? I do not recommend not using any encryption. But just switch the router then test the ipad for awhile.

I hate to suggest this but it is one test that I did not read about- Apple has a router they call Airport. Get with an Apple sales moron at the store and explain your problem, tell him you would like to test the Airport router to see if it fixes the problem but if it doesn't, then you want to return it. ( But regardless if it solves the problem or not, return it and lie! unless of course you want to just keep the Airport ) Now you know it must be your router, router configuration, or router bug. If it doesn't work with your ipad, then I'd reboot the ipad clean and reinstall everything from itunes. I've done this once for the upgrade and it went pretty fast compared to the first time.
I already reset and re downloaded from itunes with no changes I am aware of. I am wondering if I may have to many wireless devices installed around the house. Thanks for the look on the net. If all fails tomorrow I think I will try the Airport router. I need to take the iPad out and connect to some other places and see whats up as well. Thanks for all your help Don. I appreciate it.:)

Frank

I use an Apple Airport Extreme, I got it at the Apple store online as a refurb. $129 vice the $179 it costs new with same warranty as new. I've had no problems with mine since day one which was about 2 weeks after the iPads started shipping.

I now have 2 of them in the house as I get better signal strengths and operation around the house and it allows me to cover the upstairs better. The number of devices may not be the issue, but it could be the channel that the router is using for wireless. I set mine manually a very long time ago because there was some sort of interference. This was done a few years ago.

As crazy as it sounds to me, I took my iPad and connected it to another wireless connection which was stable. When I brought it home I changed my SSID and WPA key. Rock solid. No connection issue. Thanks for the help.;)

Although I do not broadcast my SSID, I renamed it something Rocky mentioned in another thread. I like it! (lol)

Frank Jr. said:
As crazy as it sounds to me, I took my iPad and connected it to another wireless connection which was stable. When I brought it home I changed my SSID and WPA key. Rock solid. No connection issue. Thanks for the help.;)

I am happy that it worked for you.

Glad it is fixed Frank!
Oh man, Happy New Year Mike! I broke a bone in my left foot yesterday so I am bringing in the new year with one foot about the size of a football and one shoe. Anyway I bet you could guess my SSID.;) That just made me laugh!:D Jag Mike Don and everyone, thanks for the help and Happy New Year!:)

Frank Jr. said:
Oh man, Happy New Year Mike! I broke a bone in my left foot yesterday so I am bringing in the new year with one foot about the size of a football and one shoe. Anyway I bet you could guess my SSID.;) That just made me laugh!:D Jag Mike Don and everyone, thanks for the help and Happy New Year!:)

Ouch!

Happy New Year Mr. Gimp. :)

An iPad app thread or forum would be neat. This app is the best weather/radar app I have found and it's free, for now. WunderMap

Attachments

• 100_4566.JPG
    100_4566.JPG
    849.4 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
An iPad app thread or forum would be neat. This app is the best weather/radar app I have found and it's free, for now. WunderMap

Frank. You might want to check out the thread in the Phone forum. There is an iPhone favorite application thread going. I know its not quite the same but since most of the apps are available for both it might give you some ideas on apps. Might make sense to turn that thread into whats you favorite iOS application.

My favorite is to just browse the app store on the ipad and use the key word search for stuff I want to do.

For weather, I have a folder and 4 apps- "Weather Maps" "Weather Bug" "The Weather Channel MAX+" and "Hurricane HD" The Hurricane one is only good during Hurricane season.

Frank- I'll check out yours as I've found there is no one does all weather app. BTW- there is an ipad Owner's thread in this section which was good when ipad was just a fad. Today it is ubiquitous and as such a single thread could become too cluttered for practice.

I like the idea of a forum section for Tablets and Apps. Then in that we could have a sticky thread for ipad apps and a sticky thread for android tablet apps. Would we need one for windows, or other OS apps? Maybe Rocky could set that up? Tablets have become a new cornerstone in mobile computing and needs to have it's own section. No longer a brief fad, but now a trend in the direction of our connective way of life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)