IPhone 4 battery

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I fear that the battery on my IPhone 4 is starting to fail. I always charge my phone at night before I go to bed. It's always at 100% battery life when I go off to sleep. And when I get up the next morning it usually still at 100%, or at the worst it's around 98%. But the last few days my battery life drops around 85-87% by the time I wake up the next morning. Is this the beginning of the end for my battery? What options do I have about fixing or replacing if it continues to decline?

smokey982 said:
I fear that the battery on my IPhone 4 is starting to fail. I always charge my phone at night before I go to bed. It's always at 100% battery life when I go off to sleep. And when I get up the next morning it usually still at 100%, or at the worst it's around 98%. But the last few days my battery life drops around 85-87% by the time I wake up the next morning. Is this the beginning of the end for my battery? What options do I have about fixing or replacing if it continues to decline?
Do you ever let it completely drain? Try doing that to see if it helps. It worked on my 2nd gen iTouch. Otherwise go to an Apple store if possible.

I have never let it completely drain. It usually gets down around 40-50% by late afternoon. So I plug it in so it will recharge before I go to bed. I don't like leaving it on a charge all night while I sleep. I don't know if that would hurt it or not, but I never wanted to take a chance.

I would take it to the apple store if you have one near by. Might be an easy fix or might need a new phone, but either way, they will do it for you. :)

Did you change any settings on your phone, like turn on features such as BT that are always running in the background?

Gotcha. No, the BT is off.
I'm afraid this may be a common problem with Apple. My daughter had an IPod touch last year. It got so bad it would only hold a charge for a day of so, and that's with it not being used during that time. Luckily I bought a warranty with it and Apple replaced it.

Since this started happening have you restarted the phone? The few times my battery has drained quickly this has always fixed it. The other thing to try is a restore with iTunes. If that doesn't work just return it under warranty for a replacement.

You could also have some Apps busy in the background. I noticed something similar with my iPhone 4 the other day. Even though I had it plugged into the charger, it couldn't keep up with the Skype and TuneIn Radio. I couldn't figure out why my percentage was dropping, so I started killing background apps and minutes later, I'm back up to 100%.

The iPhone 4 is easier to open up than the iPods I've had. The tear-down guides make it look like it will be easy to replace the battery. But since the iPhone 4 hasn't been out a year yet, you are still under your one year warranty.

smokey982 said:
Gotcha. No, the BT is off.
I'm afraid this may be a common problem with Apple. My daughter had an IPod touch last year. It got so bad it would only hold a charge for a day of so, and that's with it not being used during that time. Luckily I bought a warranty with it and Apple replaced it.

I have a 2nd Generation iTouch and it lasts 5 hours or so. It gets plugged in every night. It will be wait and see on my iPad and 4th generation iTouch.

I had the same problem with Skype it used to last 2 days before I had to charge it after updating Skype it had to be charged every day so I turned off Skype until I want to use it now battery back to 2 days before needing charge