IPhone 6, 6 Plus?

ATT, Tmobile and other gsm operators won't have this issue, calls will handoff from LTE, to HSUPA, to Edge etc.

Kind of... I do a lot of rural driving and go back and forth between LTE, 4G, Edge and even GPRS (although almost all of them are upgraded now). You still end up with a lot of dropped calls. I think part of the problem is that some of them are third party cell towers and the AT&T to partner hand off is not smooth.

So far so good with VoLTE. I'm now getting simultaneous voice and data at LTE speeds and I haven't experienced a single dropped call or other problem. I do live in area with weak coverage but the iPhone is picking the 1X network for calls instead of LTE like it should in these areas. The early reports I read said that wouldn't be the case. It seems like either Verizon or Apple fixed that problem.

6+ for me. Easier reading and easier typing. Not so many typos due to tiny keys.

Auto miscorrect - well, that's ANOTHER problem!

Reactions: tigerfan33
If my eyes were younger I would have gone with the 6.
I'm 54 now and at this rate I'll be using my iPad permanently as a cell phone by the time I'm 60.

Hoping to get some clarity in this thread as, I will be deciding in about a month upgrade from the Samsung s5 to either the 6 or 6+. I really need more time using them hands on to know. You guys aren't much help in the size question. :)

Jason- your Verizon vs Sprint is an easy one. If you never travel and have good coverage with the Sprint footprint where you are, go with Sprint. If you travel about and not just interstates, then Verizon is the only choice, maybe AT&T as a second.

I use a 6+ in a kick stand case I open the kick stand and slide a finger in the open kick stand. I can operated the 6+ with one hand most of the time the down side to this is the kick stand case is thinker than I would prefer but I have not found a thin case that has a kick stand

Hoping to get some clarity in this thread as, I will be deciding in about a month upgrade from the Samsung s5 to either the 6 or 6+. I really need more time using them hands on to know. You guys aren't much help in the size question. :)

I have the 6 and I am very satisfied with it.
My nephew (17 years old) loves his 6+ and is glad he went with the big phone.
My dad regrets getting the 6+ and will go smaller on his next phone.

Don, one thing I noted with my iPhone 6 is it no longer fits in the tray inside the armrest on the 2014 Escape. My iPhone 5s fit perfectly, but the 6 is just a smidgen too big. As a result, I can't plug in the Lightning cable on a trip.

Granted, the problem will exist with both 6 models, but it was one unforeseen downside with my upgrade to the IPhone 6.

When I need to recharge my Samsung on the trips I plug it in from a cable out of the compartment in the center console and then slip it between the brake handle and the console. It stays there nicely. Of course, I never need to access the phone while driving because it puts all I need on the nav screen, including traffic, and weather radar, phone, text messages etc. Not sure how this will all work with the iphone but since Ford has it's own apps along with sirius radio internet connections, I'm sure it will be the same. In fact I know it will because we connected my wife's iphone a couple times. Just need internet connection.

I got the iphone 6+ belt case in today and I'm wearing it now for my Samsung which fits a little loose. It's not as bad as I thought, just about 1/2 inch longer than my Samsung case. The little thin recharger works out well too. I recharged my Samsung and watch and still have charge power left for another. It will fit along side the phone. I like this! It comes with both MicroUSB and iphone plugs.
This is the one I ended up getting:
Amazon product ASIN B00Q60WDO4
It did get a little warm recharging my watch and phone. I only tested it briefly with my wife's iphone 5 and it worked fine boosting it about 15% in a few minutes.

I just got a 6+ Sunday. Coming from a 4S it is a huge difference. Yes the phone is big but not unwieldy. The battery is spectacular. If you have enough hand for it I say go plus.

Claude- the size is personal. I actually think Apple should have made the 6 in a 6 mini to be the same length as the 5 series. It wouldn't be for me but my wife would prefer it as her 5 is right for her. For me, I'm thinking the 6+ 128 is now my choice. Been wearing a 6+ belt holster for a day now and getting used to it. I do tend to catch it on stuff, however. It is a horizontal design, so I might experiment with a vertical one to see how that works.

I also carry a concealed .380 with an inside the belt holster on the same side and the 6+ and that holster do conflict. I need to work on that. I will experiment with the phone holster on the left as I will not change the pistol. That would require too much retraining of reflexes. People who carry concealed know what I'm talking about.

Claude- the size is personal. I actually think Apple should have made the 6 in a 6 mini to be the same length as the 5 series. It wouldn't be for me but my wife would prefer it as her 5 is right for her. For me, I'm thinking the 6+ 128 is now my choice. Been wearing a 6+ belt holster for a day now and getting used to it. I do tend to catch it on stuff, however. It is a horizontal design, so I might experiment with a vertical one to see how that works.

I also carry a concealed .380 with an inside the belt holster on the same side and the 6+ and that holster do conflict. I need to work on that. I will experiment with the phone holster on the left as I will not change the pistol. That would require too much retraining of reflexes. People who carry concealed know what I'm talking about.

For me, I have a CCV permit but don't carry a gun due to the size.

If the text of my phone is not big enough, I hold it closer to my face.

I would have been happy with a iphone 6 the size of my 5s

Wife and I stopped in at our main Verizon store to view the iphone 6/6+ While there I learned that the store carries the top end of the iphone 6+ 128 in stock so he said not to worry when I come in later in April. In fact he ( store manager)said once I decide when I want to make the upgrade to give him a call and a small deposit over the phone and he will put one aside for me so I can guarantee no ordering and waiting. Nice! But unfortunately, he said my wife's upgrade won't be eligible until June of 2016. I was more disappointed than her but he said many times Apple makes special deals after a new model comes out on an older generation with a special upgrade. Do any of you know they did this special upgrade period from the past? Anyway, he gave me an automatic $10 off on my bill discount as a loyalty customer effective immediately. Now that's really cool!

My experiment wearing an iphone 6+ belt holster with my Samsung phone and the new battery booster is doing fine so I have pretty much settled in on the 6+

Only specials I'm aware of are provider related. It's not special though. AT&T has a Next program where you can upgrade early but will pay full price for the phone in 12 or 24 month payment plan. I did this to get 6+ and took the one time payment option for the phone.
Verizon has something similar I believe.
Providers will drop prices as the phone gets a little older sometime.
Others may have heard deals from Apple to upgrade early but not I.

Don, since you are always calculating investment returns you need to calculate your cell plan costs. For example I switched from AT&T unlimited to a family share plan (because I had other devices, and it worked out far cheaper). Now I pay up front full cost for my phones since I save $25/month on my plan. $25 x 24 months is $600, more than the $450-$500 off the MSRP lock you into a 2 year deal. So, I save money and can upgrade whenever I want (and sell the old phones too).

On Verizon they have the Edge program that allows early upgrade for the discounted price, and a monthly payment plan on phones but other problems as they do not allow a share data or trade. A simpler way to describe the different plans is "they are complicated and different" so it's best to run all plans with your personal requirements and then choose the lowest cost one.

Presently, I have 3 devices, 2 phones and one ipad on Verizon shared data at 4GB per month. The cost is $176 per month and I get a 2 year upgrade for the top of the line smartphones for $199 for the 6 and $299 for the 6+ plus a $40 upgrade fee. I think I'll be paying $549 for the 6+ with 128GB. I will probably keep any phone like the 6+ for 3+ years. I'm not one to upgrade like our friend Scott. :) heck I wouldn't have jumped to the Samsung last year but my htc that was 3 years old broke! It was an emergency at a time before the 6 was out. I usually pay cash for the phones with the upgrade discount. Typically, I keep the old phones as after 2 years they aren't worth the effort to sell used. With the new discount I got last week, the monthly will be $166/mo.

We ran the Edge alternative and this just had too many problems and would not have saved me any money. The Verizon store guy verified my conclusion. If I go a period where I'm not traveling for several months I roll my data plan back to the 2GB and save $20 a month.

I have checked the prices offered typically on a used but newer smart phones and I may be able to get a $100 - $200 on ebay. Not sure it is worth the trouble. I do have a carton of older phones with accessories. I thought I might donate them to my grandkids when they get older to have a garage sale one day. Garage sales I think is a good way to have kids learn about selling stuff to make some spending money. They're a bit too young yet, maybe next year. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)