iPhone Apps

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
Thought I would create a thread for those that want to share some of their iPhone apps with others.

I found a cool on-line radio streaming app, called ooTunes.

For the longest time I have been using Last.FM, AOL Radio, Pandora, and iheartradio in order to listen to the limited on-line streaming of terrestrial radio. These were all free. and they are still great. Today I found ooTunes which basically streams every single streaming radio station. IOW, I can now listen to any LA area (or which ever city you choose) terrestrial station (music, talk, news, sports, ex) with this one app, as well as on-line only streaming broadcast. Unlike the others, it is not free, but for $4, it is well worth it.

Like the poster below said, this is the best alternative to a radio tuner app. In fact, I think it is better as just about every station broadcast on-line now anyway and you can listen to stations all over the world, not just those you can get OTA.

WEBSITE

See if your favorite station is streamed on ooTunes through the iPhone App: http://demo.ootunes.com/radio_streams_that_work_on_iphone

You guys post apps that you have and love. Hopefully other posters might find something they like as well.

Last edited:
Thanks Dodger!!

The closes thing to a radio tuner you can get. Got my local sports talk station on here.

Thanks Dodger!!

The closes thing to a radio tuner you can get. Got my local sports talk station on here.
Yep...Every one of my local terestrial stations that I listen to is available on this app. In fact I am currently listening to one of them now, 300+ miles from it's dma.

Yep...Every one of my local terestrial stations that I listen to is available on this app. In fact I am currently listening to one of them now, 300+ miles from it's dma.

Did you pay the exta $20 to be able to play in the background?

Did you pay the exta $20 to be able to play in the background?

No. I had to stop the app if I want to post on here. One thing that sucks about the iPhone is that is a unitasker.

I do have my laptop up here at our Townhouse in Mammoth. So I am able to post and listen to my iPhone at the same time. :D

Last edited:
You can create your own favorites list of stations. Press the heart icon in the bottom middle of the screen when on a station to add it to your favorites list.

You can also download ooTunes on your PC or Mac and stream your music and videos from your computer to your iPhone.

[ame=http://download.cnet.com/ooTunes-Radio/3000-2133_4-10907717.html]ooTunes Radio - Free Mobile software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com[/ame]

No. I had to stop the app if I want to post on here. One thing that sucks about the iPhone is that is a unitasker.

I do have my laptop up here at our Townhouse in Mammoth. So I am able to post and listen to my iPhone at the same time. :D

If you jailbreak your phone you can download an app from Cydia called "Backgrounder" It allows you to put apps in the background while you do other taskes. Also, here is the thread some one started a while back on favorite apps.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/phone-zone/155767-whats-your-favorite-iphone-app.html

I have also found out that the support for ooTunes is pretty good as well. I found that they did not have one of my local radio stations on their listing. I emailed them with the website prior to going to bed. When I awoke today they had responded with instructions on how to delete the cached listing and once the new listing was downloaded the station was now there. It took just a few hours for my station to be added to the listing once I had sent it to them.

I have been a sat radio guy for a long long time now, but it has priced itself out of my life as of yestrerday. I joined the Slacker community and at 3.99 a month its perfect for me, especially in the truck..I love it.

I am not a fan of Terrestrial Radio fan, and have not been for years. That is a good app just not for me.

Yahoo! Messenger - keep in touch with your messenger contacts and send SMS messages for free

Where - especially helpful for my wife, as she is a Starbucks addict and finding them is built right in

The Weather Channel - the built in weather app is fine for a quick glance, but this is indispensible for radar maps and more detail

There are several great apps, like mentioned above.

I also like WUnderRadio - it lets you stream 1000's of radio stations, like XM & Sirius, ShoutCast (with some of the SAME stations that Sirius / XM has, but for FREE), Radio Reference, Live ATV (airport traffic), Railroad radio, etc.

Other great apps:

TweetDeck
PDF Reader Pro (free edition)
TV.com
MotionX GPS
Google App
Yelp (great for finding restaurants, etc. & reviews quick)
Kayak app (hotels, cars, air, etc)
Trip Mate (keep all your trip information in one spot - schedule updates are automatic)

I'll post more as I remember what I have (I think I have 80-100 apps! :D)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts