iPhone Software Update Photos Lost

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
A colleague of mine finally updated his iPhone 3G from iOS 2.2.1 to 4.2. During the process it indicated that it both backed up and sunk his iPhone. I went back to look at backup data under "Device Backups" and it does not show his device being backed up at all, even though we saw it doing so during the process. As a result of the restore he lost his photos. Is there anyway he can get them back?

Is the host running iTunes a PC or a Mac? The photos on the iPhone are synched to the Mac using iPhoto. I don't know what mechanism is used under Windows.

The issue occurred due to going from iOS 2 to iOS 4. The Apple store as well as on-line research told him that particular update results in lost data. We even did a sync prior to the update. The computer shows no backup or sync activity, which was also a common issue with that update.

Apple said the data is on the phone, it just cannot be seen. He has to take it in and have them pull it off the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

DodgerKing said:
Apple said the data is on the phone, it just cannot be seen. He has to take it in and have them pull it off the phone.
Well, that's a relief. I've never jumped that many versions at once, so I haven't seen that problem come up.

Thanks for sharing the experience!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)