IRL to split TV between ABC and Versus

IRL now following the NASCAR with multiple network coverage of the races. Versus adds another sports property. I like that Versus will have pre and post race coverage.

It should interesting to see who Versus hire for on-air talent.

IRL now following the NASCAR with multiple network coverage of the races. Versus adds another sports property. I like that Versus will have pre and post race coverage.

It should interesting to see who Versus hire for on-air talent.

I posted something here last week from Sports Business Journal about this and ESPN didn't seem to want to pay the money that the IRL wanted for rights. They also didn't really want any other races on ABC except Indianapolis. I bet they got the other four ABC races for virtually next to nothing.

It was also said that Versus might have been willing to overpay so Versus might have been able to cover any revenue shortfalls that occurred from ABC only getting a quarter of the series.

This contract is, IMHO, a mistake.

- This is a 10 year deal. Where was American open wheel in 1998? In 1988? Both sides are commiting to a very long term deal in a series whose fortunes move up and down quite a bit.

- Spliting rights between two networks is foolish. ESPN/ABC is not going to promote events on VS and, other than the Indy 500, VS is not going to mention ESPN/ABC.

- ESPN, Inc., is listed as the "producer" of all races. Apparently that means a single broadcast team and production look. But does that not mean its "ESPN on VS". Confusing.

- The Indy season is only 18 races. Five on ABC leaves 13 for VS. Obviously that includes the events in Japan and Australia, which are live at 2 AM ET the night before. So we are down to 11 live races in North America. Assuming ABC gets first pick, VS is looking at races that run directly against NASCAR, and/or major events in non-motor sports.

- The series sponsor is DirecTV. See the DirecTV sponsored series on a Comcast owned channel.

- As with NASCAR 01-06 and NHL, if a smaller sport is not on ESPN, ESPN doesn't cover it on SportsCenter.

- ESPN is listed as the holder of the "international rights". But no mention is made of the international broadcast. With two races in Canada and one in Australia, and rating that are actually a little higher than in the USA in both contries, no mention is made of TSN or any Australian outlet.

- ESPN, Inc., is listed as the "producer" of all races. Apparently that means a single broadcast team and production look. But does that not mean its "ESPN on VS". Confusing.

- ESPN is listed as the holder of the "international rights". But no mention is made of the international broadcast. With two races in Canada and one in Australia, and rating that are actually a little higher than in the USA in both contries, no mention is made of TSN or any Australian outlet.

With the first one, I think they are talking about how the series is produced today. ESPN produces all races today, whether they air on ABC or ESPN.

My assumption is that ESPN will hold the rights to the races they air. As you noted, TSN might carry the 5 ABC races in Canada, I think ESPN & FOX have a joint partnership with the Asian markets (STAR Sports???).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)