Ironic! Installer can't have Satellite where he lives

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
He's not using a public walkway. He's using the stairs that only go to HIS house. I don't see the problem.

don_riggins

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 23, 2004
Public walkway is described as a walkway that can be used by others to get to the door. If anyone can get to your dish without walking in your house and going to the side or backdoor then it is not under your exclusive control. If they have to go in and go in your house to that patio that you are the only one that have access to then that is an area under your exclusive control.

ShadowEKU

Expert in the Making
Supporting Founder
Jul 13, 2004
Frankfort, KY
don_riggins said:
Public walkway is described as a walkway that can be used by others to get to the door. If anyone can get to your dish without walking in your house and going to the side or backdoor then it is not under your exclusive control. If they have to go in and go in your house to that patio that you are the only one that have access to then that is an area under your exclusive control.

Are you 100% sure about that. Ive seen them in concrete planters (not as low as this one) sitting right outside peoples doors in a complex near me. and i would bet they were people who used OTARD to get them there.

don_riggins

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 23, 2004
Yeah, I've been in cancellations for a year and a half dealing with situations like this. Per FCC requirements the only time that it would be exclusive control is if the consumer is the only one able to get to the area bar inspections and/or repair. The front door and back door if the public has access to it then you really don't have a right to put it there, only decks, or such that is in the side of the house that cannot be reached via public accessways. If the landlord doesn't have issues with it being on the front porch or balcony then its fine but if they wanted to be anal enough to deny it then it goes to them.

ZawNH-VT

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 27, 2004
I called FCC like 3 times about this. They just ask me if anyone else share this porch, or use those steps to goto their apartment. I said no I'm the only person who uses to goto my door. They said you can't put it on steps which will consider walkway/stairwell etc but the platform part OK because its like my garden area(OTARD allow Garden Areas). Like I said on my first post.. this install fall in the gray area of OTARD.

So far.. the owner and his brother has been here everyday, doing some work patching holes and painting etc for winter.. Today they sand and painted the rusted part of my screen door and they took extreme cautions not to touch my dish.

Either they're brewing something up for me or they just gave up.. Will find out later I guess.

hancox

Pub Member / UConnaholic
Supporting Founder
Nov 23, 2003
Monroe, CT
MY guess - if they allow tenants to put things on the same deck (like a plant), you're fine. If they prohibit anything going there (and not just dishes), you're dead.

ShadowEKU

Expert in the Making
Supporting Founder
Jul 13, 2004
Frankfort, KY
I could see it going either way thanks to an enlightened person here. But if you can put things out there like plants pots a grill maybe... yes its a small area its only an example i could see it swinging your way.

don_riggins

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 23, 2004
Well as the famous saying goes, that which does not kills ya only prolongs the unevitable. Best of luck fighting that, annoying when people call in to cancel because the landlords won't allow it because not much we can offer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)