Irritated about getting HD reception

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

warbird281

Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
Georgia
I am looking to upgrade to the HD DVR package and I had an installer come out yesterday and he told me that he could not get a line of sight to the HD sats. Now, I can get 101 in just fine (95-99% rain or shine). I was told by the installer that I would have to get 99, 101, 103, 110, and 119 all on the same sat in order for the HD receiver to work. I was also told by someone else that I only need 99, 101, and 103 for all of HD and SD programming and 110 and 119 were mainly intl channels. Now, If I can get 101 fine I dont see why I cannot get 99 and 103 and have the receiver work (I believe it was an HR23). Where I live, anything east of around 95 and anything west of around 107 is in the trees. Do I need all 5 of these sats in order for the receiver to function? I just bought a hi def flat panel and I want HD.. and I am stuck in a contract until 2012 because I upgraded to a SD DVR earlier this year, and it will cost $480 to get out of. I assumed that I had a 1 year contract which is up now but by getting the SD DVR they misleadingly extended it 2 more years without any notice. Now, I dont want to be stuck with SD only programming until 2012 because of this. Any ideas? I want DTV HD but they say that I cannot receive it.

warbird281 said:
I am looking to upgrade to the HD DVR package and I had an installer come out yesterday and he told me that he could not get a line of sight to the HD sats. Now, I can get 101 in just fine (95-99% rain or shine). I was told by the installer that I would have to get 99, 101, 103, 110, and 119 all on the same sat in order for the HD receiver to work. I was also told by someone else that I only need 99, 101, and 103 for all of HD and SD programming and 110 and 119 were mainly intl channels. Now, If I can get 101 fine I dont see why I cannot get 99 and 103 and have the receiver work (I believe it was an HR23). Where I live, anything east of around 95 and anything west of around 107 is in the trees. Do I need all 5 of these sats in order for the receiver to function? I just bought a hi def flat panel and I want HD.. and I am stuck in a contract until 2012 because I upgraded to a SD DVR earlier this year, and it will cost $480 to get out of. I assumed that I had a 1 year contract which is up now but by getting the SD DVR they misleadingly extended it 2 more years without any notice. Now, I dont want to be stuck with SD only programming until 2012 because of this. Any ideas? I want DTV HD but they say that I cannot receive it.

All you need is the 99 101 103 unless your locals come on the 119. Yes theoretically if you can get the 101 you can get 99 and 103 but not always. Where your dish points now is there a small gap in trees, buildings, etc that it shots through? Where are you located?

Last edited:

If he said you need 119, then you need it. The bad thing is even if all you need to get the HD is 101, 99 & 103, the receiver will not verify with out the 110 and 119 if the work order calls for it. Directv will not give the installer a waiver for it either. With the small opening you describe, you wont get Dish either. Sounds like you are stuck in SD land.

The only thing you could try is to get all the equipment online. Do the install yourself, and hope Directv will give you a waiver to activate the receiver.

All you need is the 99 101 103 unless your locals come on the 119. Yes theoretically if you can get the 101 you can get 99 and 103 but not always. Where your dish points now is there a small gap in trees, buildings, etc that it shots through? Where are you located?

Im on the Hall county side of Buford, which is PrimeCast territory. DTV does not send their people over, I have to go through PrimeCast. I am royally pissed. I want hi def. I dont see why I need 110 and 119 for if there is nothing on there for me. I can get my locals through antenna atsc.

Im on the Hall county side of Buford, which is PrimeCast territory. DTV does not send their people over, I have to go through PrimeCast. I am royally pissed. I want hi def. I dont see why I need 110 and 119 for if there is nothing on there for me. I can get my locals through antenna atsc.

There has to be something on 119 for Direct to call for it in your area. They don't care if you don't want it, they require it. I know it sucks, there have been several installs that I could have done, because all I needed was 99, 101 & 103 to get the customer service. Because the SD locals come off 119 in our area Direct will not allow the use of the SL3 here. No 119 = no install. They give the installer no option. Exact words from an ISS rep was "Some Customers Can't Get Our Service". I understand if you are totally blocked, but if they have a service that will work, they should allow it. Alas they will not.

Liquidforce88 said:
There has to be something on 119 for Direct to call for it in your area. They don't care if you don't want it, they require it. I know it sucks, there have been several installs that I could have done, because all I needed was 99, 101 & 103 to get the customer service. Because the SD locals come off 119 in our area Direct will not allow the use of the SL3 here. No 119 = no install. They give the installer no option. Exact words from an ISS rep was "Some Customers Can't Get Our Service". I understand if you are totally blocked, but if they have a service that will work, they should allow it. Alas they will not.

Directv doesnt call for it, the installer did and that's if his locals come off the 119, which they do not so just because the installer said he needed the 119 doesn't necessarily mean it's true. I install in his area all the time. No 119 needed.

Nice job Prime Cast

Call me and I'll personally install it.

PrimeCast seemed to be very helpful, DTV on the other hand has not. The guy they sent out knew what he was doing. He mentioned that 99 might be a problem because 101 is almost bouncing off of the side of a tree but that should be an easy fix by just moving the sat over a bit. I dont know why he said that I needed 110 and 119 for though.. But they are going to send someone out today and attempt to get the 3 sats in.

You say no 119 is needed, but what about 110? Both of those sats are in thick pine trees.

Last edited:
warbird281 said:
PrimeCast seemed to be very helpful, DTV on the other hand has not. The guy they sent out knew what he was doing. He mentioned that 99 might be a problem because 101 is almost bouncing off of the side of a tree but that should be an easy fix by just moving the sat over a bit. I dont know why he said that I needed 110 and 119 for though.. But they are going to send someone out today and attempt to get the 3 sats in.

You say no 119 is needed, but what about 110? Both of those sats are in thick pine trees.

Nope just 99 101 103. PM Sent

The tech never showed up. I had to call the 866 number to dispatch him at 8:30pm.. he called back and said that he is not authorized by DTV to do an HD install without 119. I have had it. I am going to cable, at least until (if) I move to another location in 6 mths. This is complete BS.I can install the damned thing myself from 99 to 103 if I had the right equp, but all I have is a 101 dual lnb sat, 3x4 switch, and 2 SD receivers.

Last edited:
Well, I waited around until after dark and the installer never showed up. I got a call from him around 8:15pm with him saying sorry that he missed me and that DTV would not authorize him to install a sat with just 99,101,103.. I had to have 119 as well. Oh well, I am either going to bite the bullet and pay the stupid $480 SD DVR contract fee (over time) and go to cable, or find a DTV HD sat and get the damn sats in myself and get a HR24 and call DTV and tell them to activate it. I dont have enough money to pay some other contractor to install it who doesnt need authorization from DTV for 119. I am mad.

warbird281 said:
Well, I waited around until after dark and the installer never showed up. I got a call from him around 8:15pm with him saying sorry that he missed me and that DTV would not authorize him to install a sat with just 99,101,103.. I had to have 119 as well. Oh well, I am either going to bite the bullet and pay the stupid $480 SD DVR contract fee (over time) and go to cable, or find a DTV HD sat and get the damn sats in myself and get a HR24 and call DTV and tell them to activate it. I dont have enough money to pay some other contractor to install it who doesnt need authorization from DTV for 119. I am mad.

So when am I coming?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts