Is 102% signal good enough?

kbohip

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 9, 2005
Colorado Springs
Today I installed a new 522 DVR to replace my old 510. After I got it up and running I noticed the signal was at 102%, it later was at 94%. My old 510 would sometimes read 125%. I must have jostled the dish a bit too much while plugging in the other line to it. Is it worth it for me to go out tomorrow and adjust the dish to try to get a better signal?

I'm not worried during clear weather but in a thunderstorm I know I'll have more of a chance of dropping the signal now. Oh yea and so far I'm really liking the 522. I just hope it doesn't start dropping timers.

DOH! I looked outside and it was snowing :eek:. That would explain the drop from 102 to 94. It's now back up to 120. Hey, it was clear when I plugged it in. I never knew it wasn't a percentage though.

more often than not, the 125 signal strength will be on your locals, as they usually (not always) are on spotbeam, which is stronger for your area :)

Also, there is a difference in how each receiver displays your signal strength. My 811 is 10 points lower on 110 and 5 points lower on 119 than my two 301's are. And i've even had one of my 301's on the same RG6 cable as my 811.

Iceberg said:
more often than not, the 125 signal strength will be on your locals, as they usually (not always) are on spotbeam, which is stronger for your area :)

My locals are on 105 which barely peaks at 54%. Hopefully the replacement will be up soon before I have to deal with rain fade this summer. :(

It only takes mide 30's to 40% of 125 to get a picture. The reason to get the higher signal strength is to prevent rain/snow fade so that you will not lose your picture everytime it sprinkles or rains.

KBOHIP: You make no mention which transponders you're looking at. They're changing based on last viewed channel.

Always use and post transponders 11 & 21 on satellites 110 & 119.

When my signal levels drop below 55 I start to have problems... Usually during heavy rain or snow events. During the January blizzard I lost access to 61.5 when snow built up on the dish but I got the signal back two days later after the sun hit it for a while (mine is on my roof and inaccessible without a ladder and a grappling hook)

That could be due to the fact that while one transponder may be getting a 55% signal strength another transponder and/or satellite could have already lost its lock below 40%. This is why you will experience some channels being lost before other ones as some signal strengths will be higher than the other ones.

When I indicate (and I imagine others as well) post signal percentage we mean the number that it tells us out of 125. Thats the easiest way to describe the xx/125 strength that it is coming in at.

Stargazer said:
When I indicate (and I imagine others as well) post signal percentage we mean the number that it tells us out of 125. Thats the easiest way to describe the xx/125 strength that it is coming in at.

It's still wrong. The signal strength is a flat number and not a percentage.

chaddux said:
It's still wrong. The signal strength is a flat number and not a percentage.

I heard ya chaddux. This makes more sense to me. I always wondered how they figured a signal could be 125%. Mine currently bounce around between 95 and 115.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts