Is 36" Channel Master Good Enough For LPBS on 125w?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

upnatm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
North-East Lake Superior
Hi folks,

I've just acquired a very nice Channel Master 90M-1 (36"x39"). It's missing a few
original parts, but I think I can adapt.

I was hoping to mount my Invacom QPH-031 to it's focal point.

Is anyone else using this type of setup to pull in the LPBS stations
on 125W, AMC-21/Ku?, or should I hold out for a larger dish?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 100_4268.jpg
    100_4268.jpg
    868 KB · Views: 208
  • 100_4266.jpg
    100_4266.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 208
  • 100_4265.jpg
    100_4265.jpg
    916.1 KB · Views: 233
I have the 1 meter model and used it for several years for a motorized KU dish on a post. Mine has the side support arms to the LNB holder which make it much sturdier. I also have the same LNB on it (Quad output two Linear/two Circular). I currently have it locked on 72W for the NBC MUX there and do not use the motor. That LNB is heavy as you know, so it needs all the support it can get.

But to answer your question: The signal from 125W is strong for me but I am in California at 119W longitude, so I cannot say how far either outside the sat footprint you are or are not?

I tried to upload my pics, but could not get them loaded. I am on my way to work, so do not have time to try again.

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 230
I was never able to do it in a 90cm, but no problems on my 1.2m. I suppose for you it never hurts to try - install that bad boy and see what happens.

I have an 84e (40x30 elliptical) on 125°W Works very well. Your 90cm, being a commercial dish should be very accurate and I think should work as well if not better. (BTW- I'd love to come by one of those, been looking, but no luck yet.) Since you have the feed and dish. why not mount it temporary to see if it does what ya need/want, then go from there.

Thanks for the positive input, everyone!

If anyone has the same dish (90M-1), would it be much trouble to take some
measurements for me? Please see attached pic. With those numbers, I'll have
a good place to start.

I've got some old aluminum tent poles lying around, they should do nicely for
the side supports. Since I don't have the original feed-mount, the trickiest part
will be truing up the LNB to the focal point.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• 90M-1_edited.jpg
    90M-1_edited.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 203
Hi again,

After a bit more online searching, I found some images of this dish.
Turns out that the only thing missing is the original LNB.
The Andrew/Channel Master CM90 was built with a rectangular feed arm,
and had no side supports.

I swiped the Invacom QPH-031 form my idle setup, and gave it a whirl on the CM90.
My best result was 119w, I just couldn't lock on to AMC-21. Must be something to do
with my receiver settings. I tried my PanSat 2700a first, then my CoolSat 7000, but neither
would show a blip in the 125w area.
I was even using a Seesat finder, but it won't distinguish between C or Ku bands.

I've got a few more tricks to try today, starting with bypassing the DisEqC switch, and
even using an old linear LNB that actually fits the rectangular feed-arm.

Anyone think this dish is too heavy for a STAB-HH90? I might just try it out for size.

Wish me luck, I'm crossing my fingers.

upnatm, I cannot get any of the dvb s2 signals on a 76 cm Winegard dish with 0.3 lnbf, altho the dvb-s channels (sd and hd) come in fine here in WV (about 70 mi S of Pittsburgh). Hope you can get LPBS or at least Montana, which is stronger. Rain fade will be a big problem as will cloudy or drizzly. I had a ku lnbf rigged slightly right and down and in (maybe 3-4 inches) from my prime focus 10 foot mesh dish feedhorn when it was pointed at 121 W Galaxy 23. But I have just moved the dish to 107 W to watch the CBC channels. I got all the PBS stations on 125 then--that is, when I was on 121 W!
[Edit] Upnatm, just noticed you list a 10 foot dish in your inventory! Try attaching a lenghth of flexible cable to your ku lnbf with a hose clamp and securing the other end to your C feedhorn. By moving the ku lnb around you'll be able to get 125 ku with booming signals, once your c band is aimed at 121 West Galaxy 23 C. Your ku lnbf will be pretty close and off to the right of C feedhorn as you face from in front of the big dish. Then you could use your new 36 inch dish for other sats? [Edit number two]: Of course you'll have to run another cable to the ku lnbf you'll be installing. I used heavy guage copper wire as my flexible cable-- maybe 1/8 or 1/10 of an inch thick I believe. It didn't take me too long to point the lnbf and lock on to 125 PBS sat. Wind will not affect the lnbf once you have it in place.

Last edited:
I swiped the Invacom QPH-031 form my idle setup,..............
Make sure you are connected to one of the "L" posts on the LNB.
The Receiver should have 10750 set for the LNB L.O.
I use 12080 V 30000 for the Hot TP on that Sat.
Once you have that locked, you then need a DVB-S2 Receiver or Sat Card to lock LPBS.

Awesome results last night!

Thanks Lak7, it's been a while since I played with Ku circular/linear polarities, and DisEqC switches, but I
managed to sort everything out. Once I locked and scanned the first satellite, the rest just fell into place!
The STAB-HH90 motor made the project so much easier!

Switching between USALS and DisEqC, and adjusting the mounts, the setup will now see
from 30w, across to 129w. DishPointer.com is an awesome tool!

I never realized it before, but the CoolSat 7000 actually has a pretty good blind scan in it.
It will find the DVB-S2 TPs, but won't decode them, it won't do AC3 audio either. I never even
thought to check if the LPBS transponder scanned in, I'll blame that one on my old friend Ron Bacardi.

I pulled out the old K-Box K2HD to try out it's DVB-S2 goodies, and I found the damn thing
doesn't have a friggin' "TV Out" jack for co-ax cable! That pretty much ended the job last night, as I
didn't feel like digging out more cables and stuff to match the Kbox to the small TV in the back yard.
My AZbox was an option too, but I was in no condition to disturb it!

After I heal up a bit from my "self inflicted rum-shot wounds", I'll get back at it with the Kbox, and also
check to see if the CoolSat actually scanned in that elusive transponder.

Thanks too, to fafhrd2 for your suggestions on adding to the big dish. I have the C/Ku LNBF mounted up
there right now, but it's kind of scary to do any "live" tweaking while it's pointed at the higher birds in the
arc, as the dish is mounted above the peak of my garage. I have a platform to stand on up there, but it's
only good for the low-east sats. Adding another platform would do the trick, as long as it's big enough
to hold my 6' stepladder safely. Falling is fun, but the sudden stop at the end is what hurts!
Heh heh, my brother calls it "Rapid Deceleration Syndrome". lol

Cheers!

Well, I'm getting rather discouraged with this little project. I tried replacing
the QPH-031 with an older linear LNB, it gave a stronger signal and higher
quality readings but still no lock on LPBS, OETA or MontPBS.

I managed to get the Kbox K2HD matched to the small TV for testing, this STB used to
pull in all but LPBS before, on the 10 footer.
The rest of the TPs on AMC-21 are coming in loud and clear with this 36" dish.

I've tried the settings from both LyngSat and SatHint, and still nothing.

Can anyone supply me with some reliable TP and PID settings to try?, before
I dismantle everything. I'd like to know I've tried everything before giving up.

Thanks for the help and encouragement.

Hi Upnatm
LPBS 12072 H FEC 3/5 SR 12473
OETA 12112 v 3/4 8700
Mont 12106 V 3/4 2400. All are mpeg4 dvb s-2 8psk pilot off on AZbox. LPBS is the weakest.
Not sure, but you might be far enough north to be out of LPBS "footprint"? Try AUTO FEC scan for LPBS first, then 3/5
if that does not work. I'll be trying for 125 myself with a Prime. 84e after I plant a post for it.

I can now say I've tried everything, and the CM 90M-1 has been packed away.

I was reluctant to disturb my AZ, but did so anyways. Before swapping STBs, I
made sure the dish was aimed and getting good reception on the KBox.
The AZ couldn't see anything at all! Not even CreateTV or PBS-World.

The AZ gets everything except LPBS from AMC-21, while on the 10'er, so the
big dish stands alone, and I do without LPBS.

I truly appreciate everyone's help and encouragement with this experiment.

Thanks again, --Kev--

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)