Is 3D TV dead? ESPN 3D to shut down by end of 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
It lasted a year longer then I expected it to. As I mentioned before my neighbor told me before last year before the 2012 CES that the plans were to have it shut down by July of 2012.

Glad it got to live for another year and a half though.

Got to admit while it was rare for me to watch ESPN 3D but I do enjoy a good 3D movie on ppv from time to time. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

3D Tv actually had to be alive to be dead, and IMO it was never really Alive. Sure they had some channels with some good programming, but when you loop stuff over and over (think Voom programming when it first started) that in my eyes dosent make it a actual thriving channel. I am very much into 3D programming and movies and games, but I don't really check to see if the game is on in 3D or not, now if there is a movie I want to watch (avatar, Life of PI, Oz etc.) I will pick that up in 3D and watch it, also some games (killzone, racing, black ops) are spectacular in 3D. But TV never really caught on with me like the rest of them did so I am not surprised.

I think it never took off. Ive tried it several times, its just niche, but its nice it's included almost standard now for the people that like it. However, I see it as a waste of resources to have 3D channels, I imagine UltraHD will now be more of a focus with the new HEVC coming. Im hoping we see a switch were they keep transponders loaded up but we see an overall improvement in HD PQ, because of the compression improvements. I watch 20+ hours of HDTV every week vs 2-3 hours of blu-ray, so its important to me.

Kinda odd, since 4K may well save 3D.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

JFC, guys I love it, and like those that do hate the fact that haters crap on it every chance they get, we get it you don't like it, move on and watch wrasslin', honey boo boo or whatever you like that I hate ;) ... ESPN3D could have made it if they would have advertised and put more live programming on instead of playing stuff over and over ... 3D isn''t dead, look at the theaters and how many show mainly 3D!

Agreed. If they had done more live programming events, I would have watched a whole lot more.

S~

I never saw ESPN3d as it wasn't available to many of us who would have subscribed to it. But the fact that a 3D sports channel didn't have enough business to sustain it is in no way a sign that 3D died. The technology continues to develop with the latest being more and more high box office big budget movies being converted to 3D and re-released. The 3D conversion process, while labor intensive, is considered profitable as it permits these older movies to be resuscitated with a new feature to attract audiences. And, the look is so real, even those of us who know 3D have trouble pooh poohing it because it was not shot in 3D.

But as far as ESPN 3D is concerned, it is a shame that when Scott started his rumor at 2012 CES, and the executives at CES I spoke with to get some confirmation, that they didn't recognize the warning signs and correct the mistakes of not distributing the channel. Now, after all this time they come out and claim the reason they are shutting it down is because it didn't sell is very weak. How can we buy it if it isn't available in many areas. And, as Don F said, even when it was available they needed to ramp up the variety of programs.

Then there is the venue of cable and satellite TV. It is already so darn expensive to do this type of pay TV that I can't see it surviving for the long haul. While Cable and Satellite TV is failing at selling 3D, other business models are adding 3D, such as Netflix. Not to mention that YouTube 3D programming growth is expanding and grabbing viewer's tv time much faster than cable and Satellite watching time. It makes it harder and harder for families with limited budgets to justify the cost of Cable or satellite competing with a Roku with Netflix and Hulu+.

Bottom line, while I was upset with Scott for spreading the rumor a year and a half ago, as time went on past his predicted death date of a year ago and ESPM 3D continued to not expand it's availability, I felt his prediction would be soon inevitable even if off by 2 years. But, while 3D hater advocates would love to use this shut down of a 3D cable channel as the death of 3D as an artform for media presentation, nothing could be further from the truth. Both Real3D and IMAX 3D are expanding the number of 3D theaters worldwide for 3D and plans for these in China and Europe are going to be the fastest growth for 2014, per CEO of IMAX in a recent Jim Cramer's Mad Money show. Sony, 3D leader, and Panasonic, Samsung, and LG will soon be offering all their new line as 3D capable. It will be just another option to view when the 3D program is tuned to. Panasonic will soon be offering their Broadcast 3D camcorders in 4K versions as well. It's all coming together.

It isn't rocket science. The vast majority do not care about 3D, and a good number of people actually don't like it. As simple as that. I have an LG 3D TV and a free (because no one is buying them) 3D bluray player but I just don't see where 3D enhances watching TV or most movies. Of course there are exceptions, (Avatar comes to mind) but they are few and far between. It isn't about hating it, it's being realistic, 3D does not add for many and for many subtracts from watching movies or sports. It's simply a technology not enough people care about.

Is the point of 3D to make the viewing experience more real? Because if it is, I think it fails. I don't hate 3D, but to me it detracts from reality rather than enhances it. I can enjoy a short 3D film as a cool gimmick (like at a museum), but it makes a movie less real to me, for some reason. Leaving the theater after seeing Avatar, my cousin asked how I liked it and I said that I enjoyed the experience of seeing the advancement in 3D photography and I would see the movie again but not in 3D the next time. Can you imagine a movie like Lawrence of Arabia, which totally immerses you in a time and place, converted into 3D or remade as a 3D movie using the latest technology? Does anyone think that would make it more "real"?

Many do care or they would still not be putting out movie after movie in 3D, do not put your views on everyone like the press does... and it does enhance, Avatar is old hat, there have been many 3D movies since that are just as good. Should we go back to mono or stereo at the theaters because some do not think multichannel sound enhances movies? same reasoning.

More advances in technology

I recently did a quick review of the local movies playing in Louisville movie theatres. Many of them are being shown in both 3D and regular versions. As older movies are "refurbished" to play in 3d, the availability of 3D programming for television will bloom. ESPN 3D may die, but I don't see that happening with premium movie channels which will soon have hundreds of 3d movies to show. Just a guess, of course, but i think 3d TV is still going to be alive and well for years to come. Improved compression methodologies can only help this to occur.

Regards,
Fitzie

I think you guys are confusing the point, read that again....it's saying 3D tv...not 3D in general. 3D movies I think are gaining steam in the theater and slowly catching on in homes.

You guys kill me with the hater stuff.

• 3D is niche, period
  • Not as many people as you'd like to think use it, period. And don't use satellite guys or AVS as a demographic, we are usually on the bleeding edge.
  • 3D is a money making scheme, and its working for studios. Lets make cheaper conversions and still jack the ticket price. Bastards.
  • So what that 3D is in camcorders? They just spent the last 3 years ramming it down our throats. I compare 3D to ethanol. The government spent billions forcing ethanol on us, they aren't going to turn back now (even though facts show otherwise). 3D will stay in devices, sure, and they will continue to release hack films (you ever notice some of the crappiest films are filmed in native 3D like Silent Hill, yet good movies like Iron Man are conversions?) in 3D. To me it's really only best served in animation, unless you get the one or two rare flicks a year like Hobbit and Pi.
  • 3D on providers is never gonna make it. No one wants to sit around all day and watch 3D, it sheets up the overall image and its annoying after about 2 hours. You can call me a hater all you want, but Ive tried it on 5 different displays, and it SUCKS. Plus, let's throw a football party with a buncha folks and $1000 worth of 3D glasses... Not.
  • Then there is adoption... Granted, Im not saying a know a lot of people, I know enough and have plenty of friends. If I count everyone that I could drive over to there house today and ring the doorbell without getting shot, the total is ZERO that even use any kind of 3D. Im the only one in all the people I know thats even tried it in the home. Sure, plenty of em take their kids to the theater for animated 3D, but thats not what we really are discussing.
  • I'll say it again, these forums are never representative of real life, so don't think because many of you love it, or film in it, it matters in real life, it doesn't... it may matter to you, but...
  • Sorry to be mean, but I get tired of everyone here with mule blinders on, that can't come to the realization 3D never was big, and it aint gonna be big. Dead? No. Gonna stick around permanently? I think so. I'm also tired of the hater reference. I ponied up, I bought glasses for a DLP, an LCD and THREE plasmas. How many of you can say you did that? I tried, and dislike it. I'm usually the one fighting to defend something like this until I realize the fact that noone really cares about it in the grand scheme of things. You guys, have failed to realize such. 3D is a blip on the HT radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts