Is 3D TV dead? ESPN 3D to shut down by end of 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like 3D but I totally forgot about the channel because my main TV isn't 3D so I can't see the channel.

One of the things I think killed ESPN 3D was a number of providers charged anywhere from $9 to $11 JUST to receive ESPN 3D. I am betting there are a lot of 3DTV's hooked up which can get the ESPN 3D signal but never did as they didn't want to pay that much for one channel.

I didn't see any facts, I saw your opinion. lets not get those two confused...here is a nice article, with facts.

http://www.businessinsider.com/3d-movies-have-a-future-in-hollywood-2013-1

My "opinions" are based on fact and reality, unlike most of you who just cant get it. I know I know, you own a 3D camcorder so its destined to survive... Like I said, Ill leave you guys to hugging and back patting, lets see how more in reverse 3D has moved in another 3 years. Im also referring to IN HOME 3D, not at the theater. Hell, when I went to see Iron Man it was showing in 3Different versions ;) (IMAX, 3D and 2D). They will try and make money however they can.

BTW, read the article you quoted. "More 3D movies are released every year". 2012 and 2011 we exactly the same and barely higher than 2010 when the big push started. Its flatlined. Out of the nine high grossing "3D" films, one of them was the Avengers which was a conversion and it's gross had nothing to do with 3D, look at Batman. Secondly, out of those 9 four were animated lol. Anyways, this is becoming a waste of effort, you laser disc guys enjoy yourself.

Last edited:
IMO you are really all over the place, you never said anything about in Home 3D (which I would assume would be on the rise as more TVS are made standard with 3D. Also the article did state that 39 movies would be made with 3D for 2013, so there is a gain there, 1, but still a gain. And just because it is a conversion dosent mean anything, how would they shoot a CGI film in 3D or a animated film in 3D? it has to be post processed for it of course, and to be honest those are generally some of the best 3D there is (Avatar, Avengers, Alice in Wonderland, Despicable me)

edit:

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/yonhap-news-agency/130318/3d-tv-sales-growth

I agree with gadgtfreak. 3D is no where close to where you 3 mods claim in to be in the real world. People don't care about wearing glasses to watch tv, sure its fun once in awhile, do you honestly think if it was a growing business we would be talking about one of the only networks closing up shop? There would be a huge list of 3D channels available, and that's not the case! Even if that was the case , people look at tv's that are affordable. And 3D is just another geek premium that face it never took off. 3D is not practical Bottom line! Just like the next thing 4K tv. Most people in the world don't have $1000+ to drop on a 3D TV let alone $5000 + on a 4k tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)