Is 4k worth it. The difference is about $200

Should I get a 4k TV or a 1080P?

• Get a 4k its the future

• Get a 1080P as there is not much 4k content out there

• Get a 1080P as its a better value than 4k and the pic is not that much different

• Get a 4k its the bomb!

Results are only viewable after voting.
I am unaware of there being any doubt as to OLED surviving. Whereof do you speak?

I may have overstated, but it isn't as clear now as once that OLED will stay around;
http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...amsung-no-oled-display-production-2015-a.html
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/television/tv/is-sony-shelving-oled-tvs-in-favor-of-4k--1248265

In stores I only see LG OLED. Digging a little at reviews, OLED makes a stunning display, but actually the overall specs of the LG's are below in some areas of other TV's. One example "As with all OLED TVs, it has a couple of issues you won’t find with LED models. Temporary image retention of static images is to be expected (though this should disappear within a few minutes of using the TV), mostly-bright images will make the luminosity of the screen dim, and the uniformity of dark colors isn’t great." I could see this in the store, the TV had obviously been on but a trace of image retention could be seen but you had to look hard, slight but the screen dims some on bright sky images, and I found background images sometimes "moved" just a smidgen when a person moved. No question I would expect these type of things can be improved, but it did make me a little more happy I can't afford those sets. :)

LG is pretty much it now, with their "white" OLED. Panasonic is expected to use LG panels and their own electronics.

Samsung took the purist approach with true RGB OLED. Too bad "white" is cheaper to build. In the long run, .....

I follow the OLED thread at AVS. OLED is alive and well, and I suspect 2016 will have some announcements of genuine interest.

My wallet is closed.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I may have overstated, but it isn't as clear now as once that OLED will stay around;
http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...amsung-no-oled-display-production-2015-a.html
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/television/tv/is-sony-shelving-oled-tvs-in-favor-of-4k--1248265

In stores I only see LG OLED. Digging a little at reviews, OLED makes a stunning display, but actually the overall specs of the LG's are below in some areas of other TV's. One example "As with all OLED TVs, it has a couple of issues you won’t find with LED models. Temporary image retention of static images is to be expected (though this should disappear within a few minutes of using the TV), mostly-bright images will make the luminosity of the screen dim, and the uniformity of dark colors isn’t great." I could see this in the store, the TV had obviously been on but a trace of image retention could be seen but you had to look hard, slight but the screen dims some on bright sky images, and I found background images sometimes "moved" just a smidgen when a person moved. No question I would expect these type of things can be improved, but it did make me a little more happy I can't afford those sets. :)
It's actually more clear than it's ever been :)

http://www.cnet.com/news/lg-bets-8-7-billion-youll-want-a-tv-with-rich-oled-colors/

Any OLED you see in a store will get trace image issues because it's left on store mode at max everything which kills it.

LGs 2015 OLED are the best TVs around:

http://televisions.reviewed.com/content/lg-65ef9500-flat-4k-oled-tv-review
http://www.cnet.com/products/lg-ef9500/
http://www.digitaltrends.com/tv-reviews/lg-65ef9500-review/
http://www.trustedreviews.com/lg-65ef9500-review

Blacks can have uniformity issues, but they are blacks you can't get on LCD to begin with. Maybe the 320 FALD Vizio R? I doubt it though.

I think that misses my point though. Everyone would say OLED looks the best. I said the issues would get better, and said the picture was stunning and greatly because of the deep blacks it is.
Beta was considered much better than VHS. Even a not high end Plasma had a better picture than LCD. That's my point. When only one company seems invested in a technology it doesn't mean it won't become mainstream, but it doesn't inspire assurance when Samsung dropped it from their lineup and Sony does not have it. I am saying It's still too early to tell what the outcome will be and isn't quite as sure as when others were making them and now are not.
The CNET article does show LG is not giving up on it, but just be aware the hype of the future demand was not a CNET writer saying it, it was what LG predicted when they announced the P10 plant. It will come down to sales. If LG starts to dominate with OLED you can be sure others will follow. If not, well.....

I think that misses my point though. Everyone would say OLED looks the best. I said the issues would get better, and said the picture was stunning and greatly because of the deep blacks it is.
Beta was considered much better than VHS. Even a not high end Plasma had a better picture than LCD. That's my point. When only one company seems invested in a technology it doesn't mean it won't become mainstream, but it doesn't inspire assurance when Samsung dropped it from their lineup and Sony does not have it. I am saying It's still too early to tell what the outcome will be and isn't quite as sure as when others were making them and now are not.
The CNET article does show LG is not giving up on it, but just be aware the hype of the future demand was not a CNET writer saying it, it was what LG predicted when they announced the P10 plant. It will come down to sales. If LG starts to dominate with OLED you can be sure others will follow. If not, well.....
I sure hope others will follow LG and produce OLED TVs too. I also hope LG doesn't keep the price high because of no competition.

Reactions: Tampa8
I think LG can't afford to keep the price too high. For the technology they invested heavily in to survive it has to be in demand, I'm guessing high demand. It can cost more if people perceive it to be superior, but not so much that only a few can afford it. I have to think if they start increasing market share Samsung and or Sony would have to get back into OLED. It could be they will enter with even a better OLED product, just too early to know.

Prices will only come down as more mass production comes into play. With only one company (at the moment) producing OLED, I'm afraid it won't get enough traction if others don't start entering (or rejoining) the fray.

The next step beyond flexible screen is how to change the size and shape of them, particularly the size. One should be able to bring with them a device that can be as small as a cell phone or as big as a big screen tv screen to hang up on the wall that self adheres to any object.

The next step beyond flexible screen is how to change the size and shape of them, particularly the size.
We've had such devices around for much longer than TV technology. We know them as projectors.

Alas, semiconductors aren't stretchy. Arrays of LEDs can be held together by flexible media but you can't alter the size of the LEDs themselves. The best you can hope for is to "magnify" them using projection lenses. Of course this gets messy if you're using RGB trios that begin to show their true nature under significant magnification. Because OLED is light emission based rather than rather than light transmission based, projection probably isn't all that suitable until the OLED arrays can put out as many lumens as a conventional display of the magnified size.

Lumen brightness is the biggest issue with projectors. Perhaps in the future they can hang them on the wall and project images down. It could be holographic. You can put several up for a bigger image each providing so much of the screen or have a long one that projects it down. On the outside of the device it can display a clock, temperature, etc.

Screens will roll out like a newspaper but does not solve the issue with changing the size the other direction to keep a square picture, that would only make it wider.

Screens could actually be a thing of the past eventually with holographic images then devices such as contacts or google glass to see everything as if you are right there. No more need for screens then for the most part.

Reactions: Tampa8
The OLED potential is just being developed because there has already been shown in Korea an OLED display that is paper thin and is mounted on the wall with a adhesive magnetic strips to hold it on the wall.

:oldwink:biggrin

That my next SUHDTV!!!!

I 100% see that or something like that as goal and something that could sell very well.
When I first saw the concept that at TV would someday be mounted on the wall, be 75" and only inches thick I thought it was something for a long time into the future, didn't seem like it would really happen. So now when I see these advancements I can see it happening sooner rather than later.

I can see these super thin TV coming out affordably in the next 10-20 years. If you can't improve picture quality much then you have to give people a new reason to buy a new tv.

Funny, every single flat panel that I ever bought, some passed on to family members and needy friends, are working perfectly to this day.
Follow up in five years and let us know how that went (and make sure you do an inventory first). Flat screens have been generally available for what, 10-12 years?

Follow up in five years and let us know how that went (and make sure you do an inventory first). Flat screens have been generally available for what, 10-12 years?
Had mine since 2007 and still going strong. Luckily, I take after my dad, whose company fixes TVs and other electronic components(and as of recent furniture).

Reactions: Troch77

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts