Is 4k worth it. The difference is about $200

Should I get a 4k TV or a 1080P?

• Get a 4k its the future

• Get a 1080P as there is not much 4k content out there

• Get a 1080P as its a better value than 4k and the pic is not that much different

• Get a 4k its the bomb!

Results are only viewable after voting.
I am 12' from my 61" JVC LCoS. If I'd known they were discontinuing the 70", I'd have bought one before they disappeared.

I expect in a couple years, all things allowing, we'll be buying a 65" something.

BTW, my TV has been flashing the replace bulb warning for over three years but it's still going strong. 11 years and still on second bulb.
If you changed the Bulb you would be impressed.
I had 5 years on my Sony Rear LCD, and I decided to change the Bulb, and what a difference it made with the brightness and color.

It's slowing dimming, and you are just getting used to it.

Are all lcd/led tv's prone to dimming as they get older or is it only the older tv's or projections that are prone to that? Are plasma tv's and oled tv's prone to that as well? I thought some tv's kept full brightness until the bulb/led blew.

I'm not sure about full array LED/LCD tvs, But LCDs with Florescent back light, will dim too,
they claim 50 % after I believe an average of 80,000 hours.
Plasmas I think it's around the same. Both are throw aways.

Rear Projection LCD and DLP bulbs are recommended to be replaced at anywhere between 8 and 20 thousand hours depending on brand.
But they also dim over time.
But have basically a dramatic life span.
Changing the bulb alone does wonders on these, and actually These TV have Real HD PQ, that's hard to come by with FLAT PANEL tvs.
Maybe 4K is the long awaited answer.

I'm thinking LEDs just die.

I have a Samsung led DLP projection that I thought were rated for 60,000 hours and wasn't sure if they were prone to dimming or not.

I just bought a Vizio 70" 1080p for $900 on Black Friday. I hope I made the right decision. I paid $1900 for my Samsung 67" Led DLP several years ago and it suffered from the white/black dot DMD chip issue. I thought about getting the $200 chip to fix it. Samsung refused to fix it even though I threatened class action lawsuit a few times. The picture quality is better on my Vizio with a brighter more detailed picture.

I was looking at the 4K televisions but would have had to gotten a smaller size and pay more money. With a viewing distance of 10' or more I don't know if I would have had a better viewing experience. With the other enhancements that they have brought to the 4K I wonder how it would have been compared to my Vizio that I just bought.

I would not worry about it I paid $950. for my MC55-C2 Vizio 4K UHDTV to replace my Vizio M550SV 1080p HDTV.I sit 10 feet away from both and I can see the difference,as for HDR&WCG I just select my "Vivid" setting when I want the colors to

look awesome but I mostly use the Standard picture setting,besides they are estimating that the 8K SUHDTV's will come out in 3 to 4 more years and they should have Dolby Vision.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Will our eyes even be able to see a difference at 5-10 feet away with 8K vs 4K? Since it probably won't then what is next best thing? Making it thin enough to be bendable and to roll up and be ultra portable.

I have a Samsung led DLP projection that I thought were rated for 60,000 hours and wasn't sure if they were prone to dimming or not.
I've never heard of more then 20,000 claimed hours on those bulbs. And those are the newer LED replacement bulbs.

Not to say that you couldn't but I know DLPS and Rear LCD were an average of 10,000 hours.

LCD flat panel and plasmas are rated 80,000 -100,000.

But check out CNET, your model tv may even have a full review, and I'm sure in the review it will state when it was recommended.
Here is a piece on the Bulbs.
7daa10a5b2cc954816b994423eec6116.jpg

Mine is not the regular bulb. It has LED's in it so should have longer life. I was curious of the LED dims like the bulbs do or if they just go out without dimming.

Mine is not the regular bulb. It has LED's in it so should have longer life. I was curious of the LED dims like the bulbs do or if they just go out without dimming.
I'm going to say no .
I think LEDs stay full brightness until they die.
What's your model tv?

Navy's tv if 11 years old is not LED bulb.

My television is the Samsung hl67a750a1fxza LED DLP I bought that particular model instead of the cheaper Mistubishi projections because I heard that the bulbs needed replaced more often and I believe they had color wheels which I figured was another moving part which would make the tv more prone to failure.

Reactions: Troch77
What does the One Connect box provide?
The One Connect Box provides future upgradability. You don't replace the panel, just the electronics. I've already done mine with my UN65HU9000. It's $399 for the box. It upgrade mine from a quad core processor to and octa core processor, HDMI 2.0a compliance, HDCP 2.2, and the latest TIZEN OS.

What is the main benefit of the 120/240 for an additional 300-400? I mean if money was no object then sure.
I hear very good reviews for all those I mentioned.

If you want 3D, you need a 240Hz set. If you want a smooth, soap opera effect, buy a 240Hz set. Otherwise, 120Hz is good enough for most people. Stay away from 60Hz sets.

Netflix, Youtube, M-GO have plenty of 4k content. Netflix will automatically detect that you have a 4k TV.
It all depends on the 4k up-converting feature and how it looks with an hd satellite picture. I had an up-converting hd tv early in the last decade and it made my sd satellite picture look like crap. I can only hope that the 4k tv does a better job of up-scaling without exposing all the flaws in the existing hd satellite picture.

You get what you pay for. You buy a low cost TV, you get low cost DSPs which can"t do the very powerful upscaling algorithms required for great video performance. Just because it's cheap....... You're better off spending the same money on a 1080P set.
As discussed already, you may very well be disappointed with the cheaper 60/120s. If you can't step up to a higher tier, 120/240, I would not step up at all. Wait another year.

When they manufacture panels and DSPs, they measure their performance for speed, accuracy, number of dead pixels, etc. Then, they sort them by bins into excellent, good, barely good. This correlates to, let's say, 240Hz, 120Hz, 60Hz or Samsung Regular model numbered TVsUN55JU7000, "Special" Model Numbers for Best Buy ex UN55JU7100, or the Walmart "Special". Once again, you get what you pay for.

Everybody has their own budget and threshold of pain.

Reactions: Troch77 and AZ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts