Is 4k worth it. The difference is about $200

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Should I get a 4k TV or a 1080P?

• Get a 4k its the future

• Get a 1080P as there is not much 4k content out there

• Get a 1080P as its a better value than 4k and the pic is not that much different

• Get a 4k its the bomb!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Had mine since 2007 and still going strong. Luckily, I take after my dad, whose company fixes TVs and other electronic components(and as of recent furniture).
I have a 40" Sony KDL40W3000 I bought at Sears in 2007. It still looks new cosmetically and still has a great picture. I have it in a bedroom now. I had previously used it as my main TV back when I had this huge TV cabinet and bookshelf that restricted the size of the TV I could get. Got rid of that about 4 years ago and got the 60" plasma I use now.

Mine has some scrapes and dings that I am surprised are not more. That thing has been Packed and shipped more times than I can count. And that was army movers, they are not the friendliest with equipment, even in front of the owner.

I had a Magnavox flat panel LCD inch TV that I bout in 2006 and My sister in law still uses it today.

There is Nothing fact based that shows flat screens only last 4 or 5 years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The old DLP sets generally started having problems after 4 or five years as mine did. My two 7+ year plasma's are still beautiful and going strong.

Reactions: Troch77
The old DLP sets generally started having problems after 4 or five years as mine did. My two 7+ year plasma's are still beautiful and going strong.
I am shocked about that. My dad works for a major compny that repairs a myriad of types of TVs and he has always mentioned that their number one tv in for "repair" was the old plasmas. Which is why I never wanted one.

Reactions: Troch77
I am shocked about that. My dad works for a major compny that repairs a myriad of types of TVs and he has always mentioned that their number one tv in for "repair" was the old plasmas. Which is why I never wanted one.
I have four and ZERO problems.

That is true, The color Wheel issues.
The First DLPs had many issues.
Some didn't but most did.

But so did the Early plasmas, they were the worst for burn in and dead pixels.
You must have gotten lucky.

Agree the early plasmas were normally terrible.
They didn't last 1 or 2 years in most applications.

In 2005 we had a Samsung 50' DLP HD TV. We purchased this TV from Best Buy and sure glad we also purchased extended insurance for it. Had color wheel/bulb issues and after the fourth service call Best Buy lemonized it and we traded it in for a Panasonic 50" Plasma HD TV. Have not had a bit of trouble from the Panasonic for 10 years now and have it in our master bedroom.

I have always appreciated Vizio for being the low cost quality provider, but I know they are also not on the edge of innovation. It's sort of a win win for all involved. There are better tvs but you get your monies worth out a Vizio.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I've never had a tube tv last more then 8 years of normal use.
I've had many tube tvs Die in 5 or less.
I've had Much better luck with the CRT rear projection sets.
I had one of those last 14 years.

I don't miss dead technology.
My oldest Flat panel LCD is 5 years only currently.

I don't change LCD/LED tvs because they die, I switch for features, Bigger screens and because they get just plain boring!

I have tube TVs kicking around that are six times that old. To be sure the don't operate very often but if they fail, they can probably be fixed with a manual and some off-the-shelf parts.
So can I. Again, thanks to my dads shop, I also have those parts accessible as "shelf" items. I have had CRTs last 20 years, and I have had them last 3 years. The problem with your statement is you are claiming the HDTV won't, but have not given it the proper time to do it. "Don't count your eggs before they hatch" comes to mind, in addition to some of your other posts as "pot kettle black."

I've never had a tube tv last more then 8 years of normal use.
I've had many tube tvs Die in 5 or less.
I've had Much better luck with the CRT rear projection sets.
I had one of those last 14 years.

I don't miss dead technology.
My oldest Flat panel LCD is 5 years only currently.

I don't change LCD/LED tvs because they die, I switch for features, Bigger screens and because they get just plain boring!

Overall, that is my experience also.

I got lucky because I bought one the the two major plasma manufacturers at the time.

So can I. Again, thanks to my dads shop, I also have those parts accessible as "shelf" items.
Television repair isn't what it used to be twenty years ago. Now the parts channel evaporates after seven years and inventories are liquidated. If you're lucky, Shop Jimmy grabbed what you needed.

Jeff Spicoli's old man was a television repairman and had an ulitimate set of tools too but if you can't get parts (many are surface mounted), repair is not a trivial proposition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)