Is 61.5 possessed? Time for EA? Help!

jdr01930

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 28, 2005
Gloucester, MA
Lately 61.5 has been kinda flaky, but it seemed mostly a few of the cinemax channels, and I have that (possibly expired) cinemax for penny deal so thought it might be related.

However, tonight I can't get the HD feed for Comedy Central (Now it's personal!).
Screen says:
Satellite signal has been lost
Channel 107
Sat 61.5
Transponder 27

I tried reboot, check switch, guide reloaded etc.
Getting same message on channel 314/61.5/Transp 31 and probably a few other. Most are fine though.

Kinda bummed that Stewart and Colbert come back tonight finally, and I gotta watch them in SD. AAARGHHH

I got a dish with 110/119, and another for 61.5
Zip code = 01930

Any idea? I read some of the sticky above about "not getting new HD" and possibly needing dish repointed, but I was not expecting to loose a standard national channel??? I did not read the whole thread so I don't know exactly what's going on and if this is related.

Last edited:
10:58PM - 2 minutes to go and the HD feed for Comedy Central comes back. Recording both feeds as I don't trust it!

no it is not related. Those HD channels are on 61.5 still

What kind of signal do you get on that transponder (menu 6-1-1)? Could be a switch failing or a connector

Thanks for the quick response Iceberg. It was very low - I think it was around 10 when it was out (I checked it about 10:40PM ish)

I don't want to mess with it right now as Daily Show and Colbert Report are recording and I don't wanna mess them up. So I'll probably have to wait till tomorrow for any real testing and connector checking. (I don't think signal can be checked without interrupting things?)

At any rate, at least I know it's my end and not strange happenings in the sky. (for better or for worse!)

It was very low - I think it was around 10 when it was out (I checked it about 10:40PM ish)

How's your LOS? Same problem at my father's home last weekend. Cinemax TPs in low twenties and teens. Due to trees being in full bloom now. Tried to tweak for him. Got some TPs up to mid twenties. Not much can be done in this situation.

Signal strength is showing 11 for TP 27; 9 for TP 31 - Yuck!
But - PQ is fine right now on channel 107 (comedy central HD feed).
I didn't think I'd get anything with signal that low!
Will check a few others.

Checking some connectors - so far they are all tight but I should probably loosen/re-tighten.

LOS - nothin' but sky.
We had some serious wind storms a few months back - maybe the dish is a little out of wack and needs to be peaked?

"time to get it fixed"

Yep - Just realized - looking at my profile here - I've been with SG for 5 years and I joined up soon after I became a E* subscriber. Guess I can't complain if stuff needs adjusting after 5 years of good service.

I checked some TP's on 110/119 - getting 60 to 80 on most of those. Some lower. Is that normal now? If I recall correctly (??) back in the day the scales were weird and it was normal to get over 100, but I think the metering in the receivers changed? Or maybe my house settled.

As long as I'm probably looking at a service call, should I have that 61.5 dish switched to something else? I've been looking through the theads about the new HD channels not being on 61.5, EA stuff etc, and I hate to admit but I'm a little confused.

So - any suggestions on what birds would be best in my location (Gloucester, MA 01930)?

Given some of the new offers I've read about here that are starting up tomorrow (free HD for life), missing some new HD channels, and HDMI being busted on my first gen 622 for a few years now, might be time for an equipment overhaul. Suggestions welcome!

Edit - right now I have: Dish 500 DP Pro for 61.5, and a Dish 500 DP Plus for 110/119

i dont know which sat your locals are on, but yes you need a new setup. 110/119/61.5 wont cut it anymore.you will eventually lose all your hd. not only are you missing the new ones, ALL hd will be migrating from 61.5. your service call should be free if you word it right. good luck.

Boston Locals?

"time to get it fixed"

Yep - Just realized - looking at my profile here - I've been with SG for 5 years and I joined up soon after I became a E* subscriber. Guess I can't complain if stuff needs adjusting after 5 years of good service.

I checked some TP's on 110/119 - getting 60 to 80 on most of those. Some lower. Is that normal now? If I recall correctly (??) back in the day the scales were weird and it was normal to get over 100, but I think the metering in the receivers changed? Or maybe my house settled.

As long as I'm probably looking at a service call, should I have that 61.5 dish switched to something else? I've been looking through the theads about the new HD channels not being on 61.5, EA stuff etc, and I hate to admit but I'm a little confused.

So - any suggestions on what birds would be best in my location (Gloucester, MA 01930)?

Given some of the new offers I've read about here that are starting up tomorrow (free HD for life), missing some new HD channels, and HDMI being busted on my first gen 622 for a few years now, might be time for an equipment overhaul. Suggestions welcome!

Edit - right now I have: Dish 500 DP Pro for 61.5, and a Dish 500 DP Plus for 110/119

You should have them replace the 61.5 dish w/ an EA dish. I think that Gloucester, MA is considered in Boston DMA. So you should have them install a 1000.4 dish for EA. You will then be getting 61.5, 72.7, & 77. You won't even need the 110, 119 dish anymore. The whole thing will be done pretty cheaply for you too.

Yes - Boston DMA
Thanks Watchel and SCA - this is the exact type of info I need.
Does the 1000.4 cover all 3 of those locations, or do I still need the separate dish for 61.5?

Incidentally - Local HD's are currently coming from 61.5, but the local SD's are coming from 110, which was leading me to believe (erroneously it seems) I'd still need both. I had not realized 72.7 and 77 could replace 110/119 in this area.

i dont know which sat your locals are on, but yes you need a new setup. 110/119/61.5 wont cut it anymore.you will eventually lose all your hd. not only are you missing the new ones, ALL hd will be migrating from 61.5. your service call should be free if you word it right. good luck.

if all HD on 61.5 will eventually be gone, why are they launching a new bird to this slot? what is it will be for? i really dont get it. I received a call from a CSR recently asking me to arrange an appointment for a small fee to fix my setup to EA and change 61.5 to 72.7 (I almost told them I was into it LOL but no one has confirmed the reception of 72.7 in puerto rico and they dont know I'm using my receiver in PR)

well, I told them I wasn't interested in EA now, I needed 110/119 for All American direct and that I didn't had time for setting up the other pointer now and I agreed not to make any change for now, risking (as they said) my HD reception.

But still, why are they urging people to move from 61.5, because of imminent disruption of HD service, if they are launching a new satellite at that orbital location??????

"The whole thing will be done pretty cheaply for you too."
"for a small fee"

Any idea what "pretty cheaply" and "small fee" actually are for those of us not on Dish Protection Plan?

"for a small fee"

Any idea what "pretty cheaply" and "small fee" actually are for those of us not on Dish Protection Plan?

w/o DHPP I've read $95. w/ is 15. So if you want to add it for 6 per month then cancel later 25 it is still less than the 95 but that's up to you. If you are handy you could repoint your 110/119 to 61.5 & 72.7 yourself. Your SD locals are also on 61.5. So all you really need now is 61.5 & 72.7.

Last edited:
"for a small fee"

w/o DHPP I've read $95. w/ is 15. So if you want to add it for 6 per month then cancel later 25 it is still less than the 95 but that's up to you. If you are handy you could repoint your 110/119 to 61.5 & 72.7 yourself. Your SD locals are also on 61.5. So all you really need now is 61.5 & 72.7.
Yes, the poor man's EA set-up is to repoint a D500 to 61.5/72.7 and point another D300 or D500 to 77. Pretty easy to do using a satellite angle calculator and a cheap sat meter.

Yes - Boston DMA
Thanks Watchel and SCA - this is the exact type of info I need.
Does the 1000.4 cover all 3 of those locations, or do I still need the separate dish for 61.5?

Incidentally - Local HD's are currently coming from 61.5, but the local SD's are coming from 110, which was leading me to believe (erroneously it seems) I'd still need both. I had not realized 72.7 and 77 could replace 110/119 in this area.

The SD locals are on both 110 & 61.5
110 is MPEG2 but 61.5 is MPEG4 so they are a little cleaner (and take up less room on DVR)
SatelliteGuys.US - Subscription 61.5°W

so going with an EA dish you'll still keep the locals

Actually, I just emailed the CEO address requesting:

Switch to 1000.4 EA dish. I did not mention signal loss though - I used the "I'm not getting the new HD channels like E! angle (E! as in Entertainment Channel, not Echostar)" This is true and highlights the problem on their end, not mine)

Get a new receiver - I have a first gen 622 that HDMI died on a long time ago. Been using component video, but my TV's have changed recently and having HDMI would be helpful now, so I'm hoping they'll give (or give me a good deal on) a 722 or something like that to replace the 622.

Free HD for life promo - I want to join it, and right now I have no contract. If I get into a commitment to get the above done, I'd like to be able to get the Free HD thing too.

Told them I'd be willing to do a 2 year or more commitment and/or get on DHPP if it will reduce or eliminate the cash cost on my end.

Said that I've been with Dish for 5 years and have been happy with the service, so I guess it's time to evaluate my setup and make some fixes/upgrades so I can have another good 5 years.

We'll see what they say. I'm hoping they can do new 1000.4 and 722 with just a 2 or 4 year commitment and joining DHPP. Is that realistic? I opted to skip CSR roulette and went right to email as I wanted to make sure all the details were clear.

Actually, I just emailed the CEO address requesting:

Switch to 1000.4 EA dish. I did not mention signal loss though - I used the "I'm not getting the new HD channels like E! angle (E! as in Entertainment Channel, not Echostar)" This is true and highlights the problem on their end, not mine)

Get a new receiver - I have a first gen 622 that HDMI died on a long time ago. Been using component video, but my TV's have changed recently and having HDMI would be helpful now, so I'm hoping they'll give (or give me a good deal on) a 722 or something like that to replace the 622.

Free HD for life promo - I want to join it, and right now I have no contract. If I get into a commitment to get the above done, I'd like to be able to get the Free HD thing too.

Told them I'd be willing to do a 2 year or more commitment and/or get on DHPP if it will reduce or eliminate the cash cost on my end.

Said that I've been with Dish for 5 years and have been happy with the service, so I guess it's time to evaluate my setup and make some fixes/upgrades so I can have another good 5 years.

We'll see what they say. I'm hoping they can do new 1000.4 and 722 with just a 2 or 4 year commitment and joining DHPP. Is that realistic? I opted to skip CSR roulette and went right to email as I wanted to make sure all the details were clear.

That's how I got my 722k. Had 622 which had the HDMI that broke from the mobo. When I got a Panny 42" plasma went to 1 of the people in CEO dept. I do have 2 yr commitment but that's OK.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts