Is a 50 year old rooftop antenna worth keeping?

wysocki

Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Los Angeles Area
I'm in Covina, CA about 16 miles away with a clear view of Los Angeles' Mt. Wilson with all the transmitters on it. I have an OLD rooftop unit going into my HDhomeRun Extend tuners. I've been getting terrible reception of KCBS 2.1(31). The tuners report signal strength of stations with RF numbers >13 at about 60% and those <=13 at 95%. I took a pic with my drone and it looks like there's some sort of uhf antenna on the mast not even connected to the main antenna. Can I just connect these somehow to improve my reception, or should I just fork over a few bucks and get something from this century? (recommendations appreciated!)
Image 008.png

Reactions: c-spand
I’ve found the best way to get High VHF and UHF is to use different antennas for each. I use a stellar labs 30-2476 for High VHF and a Solid Signal HDB91X for UHF. Sounds like the old antenna works well for High VHF.

I could not see the picture until rabbit73's posting. The old lower antenna certainly is the correct type for the LA area. It of course includes lower VHF which is used for some lesser known channels as well as VHF high and UHF. It does look a bit corroded but some sandpaper could correct that. I would also find tune the direction as the wind may have moved it over the years.
The upper UHF antenna is indeed not connected. I see no benefit of trying to add it into the mix and it would in fact likely cause problems. It appears to be pointed in a slightly different direction, possibly towards the old analog channel 24 in San Bernardino.

Ypsiguy beat me to the punch as I typed. While his recommendations certainly are valid, I feel that would be massive overkill for 16 miles from Mt. Wilson with clear line of sight. While I would put some work into the existing lower antenna, if I were to simply replace it a medium sized VHF-high/UHF would likely be the option unless some of those channels that broadcast on 2-6 were of any interest or I wanted to future proof any further channel repacking.

16 miles from the towers with a line of sight should be pretty easy. That old antenna looks pretty oxidized, I'd recommend replacing with something like the Winegard HD7694P. It looks like someone used white coax, that's really meant for indoor use - the insulation will get brittle due to UV exposure so I'd replace it as well.

First thing I'd do is replace the coax with new RG6 and a new balun.Then make sure any other connections (splitters,ground blocks,etc) are clean and tight.Then do some peaking and tweaking and see where you stand.The antenna looks to be in decent shape but if that coax is 50 years old too it's time to go.If it is that old there's a good chance it's RG 59 and that isn't doing you any favors for UHF.If there's any RG59 in the house that needs to go too.

i would recommend 1 line no splice first. I bet it would do great. Worth a try with new coaxial. I have 2 older antennas in my attic and they work great 90 channels.

oh might need to raise antenna a little higher above roof line. But see what happens with first hook up.

First thing I'd do is replace the coax with new RG6 and a new balun.Then make sure any other connections (splitters,ground blocks,etc) are clean and tight.Then do some peaking and tweaking and see where you stand.The antenna looks to be in decent shape but if that coax is 50 years old too it's time to go.If it is that old there's a good chance it's RG 59 and that isn't doing you any favors for UHF.If there's any RG59 in the house that needs to go too.
50 years ago (yes, I was there) almost all home antenna installations were done with 300 ohm twin flat lead. I don't remember seeing white coax until the 1990s. But it certainly could be RG59.

Reactions: dishdude
Thanks for all the great info, guys! Yeah, that bird was first flying in 1972, the coax replaced the flat twin in the '90s and it is RG59 (bought the white to match the paint on the house!). I'll take the easy way out and just order the HD7694P and some RG6 (no balun needed!) and report back when I get back from the roof.

Reactions: navychop
Thanks for all the great info, guys! Yeah, that bird was first flying in 1972, the coax replaced the flat twin in the '90s and it is RG59 (bought the white to match the paint on the house!). I'll take the easy way out and just order the HD7694P and some RG6 (no balun needed!) and report back when I get back from the roof.
I would still replace the RG59 and balun before ordering a replacement. It will have to be done for the new install but you might not need the new antenna.

Reactions: Brct203 and waylew
I put up a 7698p when I had my tower down and it will not pick up anything. I would rather have a balum that that little enclosed item those antenna have. I was wondering if anyone replaced that rinky dinky thing that winegard uses on those antenna,s? Next summer I probably will probably lay down the tower and try to put in a balum. Actually it could be a bad coax fitting I installed l on the cable,

I'll take the easy way out and just order the HD7694P and some RG6 (no balun needed!) and report back when I get back from the roof.
Good

Winegard has revised the instructions for the 7694, but they are still confusing. The VHF-High elements are an LPDA (Log periodic antenna) and must be unfolded correctly. The elements must alternate for max gain.

Winegard HD7694P MikeySoft2.jpeg

even Tyler the Antenna Man got it wrong:

Winegard HD7694P Tyler2_1.JPG

Winegard HD7694P VHF elements wrong.jpg

Reactions: dishdude

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)