Is a GloryStar firmware update going to bite me?

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
More technical description, is a firmware update going to modify customized dish/LNBF/switch settings?

I had what I thought was a repoint 101 to 97 job yesterday. Turned out the customer already has a dual dual system (two dual output bullet LNBFs to two 2 position DiSEqC switches to two geosatpro receivers). They weren't getting any signal though. After correcting a slight alignment issue I discovered the switches were no good and I was all out of barrel connectors. I was able to get good signal on 97 by putting 97 on port 1 and 101 on port 2. The switch apparently passes signal on port 1 regardless what the receiver tells it to do.

After doing an OTA software update I notice that there are several transponders with no signal, according to the geosat box. Those same transponders were fine with my own receiver outside directly connected. I was just about to go see what I must have bumped/screwed up outside, when I noticed that the 22khz option was turned on. Lo and behold, with that turned off all the transponders were fine. I am not 100% sure this option was turned off before the update but I can't imagine why it would have been turned on in the first place, nor why it would affect reception only on certain transponders and not others.

Long introduction to my simple question. Am I likely to get a service call from this customer in a few days because the receiver auto updated and reset the dish settings, enabling the 22khz option and knocking out several transponders?

I know I need to go back there anyway and replace those dead switches, but I'd like to do that on my schedule rather than because it quit working.

101 is on port 1 and 97 on port 2

More technical description, is a firmware update going to modify customized dish/LNBF/switch settings?

I had what I thought was a repoint 101 to 97 job yesterday. Turned out the customer already has a dual dual system (two dual output bullet LNBFs to two 2 position DiSEqC switches to two geosatpro receivers). They weren't getting any signal though. After correcting a slight alignment issue I discovered the switches were no good and I was all out of barrel connectors. I was able to get good signal on 97 by putting 97 on port 1 and 101 on port 2. The switch apparently passes signal on port 1 regardless what the receiver tells it to do.

After doing an OTA software update I notice that there are several transponders with no signal, according to the geosat box. Those same transponders were fine with my own receiver outside directly connected. I was just about to go see what I must have bumped/screwed up outside, when I noticed that the 22khz option was turned on. Lo and behold, with that turned off all the transponders were fine. I am not 100% sure this option was turned off before the update but I can't imagine why it would have been turned on in the first place, nor why it would affect reception only on certain transponders and not others.

Long introduction to my simple question. Am I likely to get a service call from this customer in a few days because the receiver auto updated and reset the dish settings, enabling the 22khz option and knocking out several transponders?

I know I need to go back there anyway and replace those dead switches, but I'd like to do that on my schedule rather than because it quit working.

I know that. I switched them because what the customer wants to see is on 97 and the switch would only pass port 1.

The switch is a 22khz rather than a DiSEqC and a master reset will turn 22hz on for 97W. You might have the Customer turn the auto update Off. Why not hook the two receivers to the single LNB? You wouldn't need the switch at all, and it won't matter whether the 22hz is on or not.
With the troubles we are having balancing the 12115 and 11842 TPs I have been converting many dual setups to single lnbs and removing the switch to grab as much signal as possible.

Bob

Last edited:
Are you sure that LNBF #1 (right side) is connected to port 1 and LNBF #2 (left side) is connected to port 2 of the switch and that the jumpers between the switch and LNBF was good? Unlikely that both switches were defective, but possible.

I would not turn off the automatic update feature as new channels are added weekly. Last week 2 new Adventist channels were added and at least 3 more before the end of the year. Turning off the auto update will defeat the automatic addition of the channels.

I agree with WescoPC to connect directly to LNBF #2 until the 22KHz switches can be replaced.

Last edited:
Glorystar1,

Will any channels be added to SES-1 or will all Glorystar channels remain on G19?

My son and I did 2 re-points of a dual LNB system. I know they do not have to be re-pointed but they owner tried to re-point it anyway and then went and did his neighbors dish also... they called us and we got it re-aimed for them. They had a diplexer installed in the place of a 22khz switch, don't know how it was working before.

SES1 is now active and we anticipate it to populate with many new FTA services. We know of several broadcasters in the process of contract negotiations. Most broadcasters were waiting on performance verification before signing on SES1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts