Is a hopper 2 worth it?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

CLASSICDIRECTV

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 19, 2022
Shreveport Louisiana USA
I’m going to get a hopper 2 with 3 joeys (one is a super Joey), and the eBay seller said he might accept an offer of 40$ is it worth it? I’m getting it mainly because I need more app functionality and I need the joeys. Also when I buy it if they accept the offer, is there any recommendations for what else I should use it for other than ota and the apps? -if you haven’t seen my other threads I’m not going to activate it as I don’t have dish but am wanting to get into dish

Whether all that hardware is worth $40, I would guess it might be, but only if it's owned and not leased. If it's leased, you are basically buying stolen property, and Dish will never activate any of it. Now, if you never intend to activate it even briefly, then maybe you don't care. Is $40 for stolen equipment worth it?

Reactions: charlesrshell
I’m going to get a hopper 2 with 3 joeys (one is a super Joey), and the eBay seller said he might accept an offer of 40$ is it worth it? I’m getting it mainly because I need more app functionality and I need the joeys. Also when I buy it if they accept the offer, is there any recommendations for what else I should use it for other than ota and the apps? -if you haven’t seen my other threads I’m not going to activate it as I don’t have dish but am wanting to get into dish
You don't want to get into the mess that a Super Joey install entails. No offense, but you seem to be very much a novice and the Super Joeys are a whole different breed of animal

I want to bring out that our thread starter is 14 years old as he has mentioned in other threads. I can tell he wants to learn and the best way to do that is to take the dive. Let's help him along with good advice and let him take his chances and learn from the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. :)

Dude, firestick w/USB Adapter, 128GB Thumb Drive for recording, OTA Antenna. You'll have much more than you're getting from the old Dish receivers
You're kidding, right? Hopper 2 has a 2TB internal drive for recording. That is before you get into recent posts here that seem to confirm that adding external hard drives to a deactivated Hopper also still work. Heck, even a Hopper Duo would have 500GB of internal storage.

Yeah and when I get more coax here is what the setup will be, my bedroom-hopper2 sisters room-Joey connected via eithernet spare bedroom-Joey with Wi-Fi adapter Second living room-Superjoey or hopper1. Also for people who keep talking about activation, I’m not going to activate it as I’m not going to get dish for a long time as I have DTV but also when my parents do cancel DTV I will just get dish with a Wally and external hdd or a hopper duo, and if I did want a normal hopper I would do the hopper2 but I also have my hopper 1.

Reactions: pattykay
You're kidding, right? Hopper 2 has a 2TB internal drive for recording. That is before you get into recent posts here that seem to confirm that adding external hard drives to a deactivated Hopper also still work. Heck, even a Hopper Duo would have 500GB of internal storage.
There is no need for 2 TB of recording when you’re streaming. Streaming is basically like on demand. Watch what you want, when you want in many cases. Truth is I stream everything, I don’t have any cable service and I have no need to record nor do I ever feel like I’m missing anything by not recording. I added a 500 GB SSD to my TV so I could record, and I’ve never used it in over two years And that’s coming from somebody who recorded everything I watched when I had dish network. Also, even when I recorded everything, I never used half of that recording space because most of the things I watched, when I was done I deleted them which is how a large number of people probably do it

There is no need for 2 TB of recording when you’re streaming. Streaming is basically like on demand. Watch what you want, when you want in many cases. Truth is I stream everything, I don’t have any cable service and I have no need to record nor do I ever feel like I’m missing anything by not recording. I added a 500 GB SSD to my TV so I could record, and I’ve never used it in over two years And that’s coming from somebody who recorded everything I watched when I had dish network
I actually would because I filled up my tivo roamios 500gb hdd within 2 months of ota recordings and the only streaming the hopper will ever get is YouTube

I actually would because I filled up my tivo roamios 500gb hdd within 2 months of ota recordings...
Speaking of that, I saw recently that a lot of ATSC 1.0 OTA stations are switching from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 broadcasting. The good news is that means they can cram more subchannels into the existing bandwidth (without sacrificing picture quality) and the existing stations will take up less space when you record them. The bad news is that older OTA tuners would no longer be able to receive those stations at all after they switch to MPEG-4.

I know this is off-topic, but does anyone know if Dish's OTA tuners are capable of receiving MPEG-4 broadcasts? I would assume at least the newer dual-tuner USB OTA adapters can, but what about the older single-tuner USB OTA adapter, the MT2 module, and the tuners that are built into the older ViP receivers?

I actually would because I filled up my tivo roamios 500gb hdd within 2 months of ota recordings and the only streaming the hopper will ever get is YouTube
Which is glitchy on a Hopper. The point I'm making is that you're spending money on all this equipment. It's like buying a combine to cut your lawn. So instead of a 128GB Flash Drive, same setup I mentioned with a 2TB HDD that connects via USB. Not have a Dish you have to work around, not have cabling that looks like it was patchworked together. Not using an LNBF that's obsolete. Not having to struggle trying to get it pointed but plug and play and have a better YT app and every other app on the planet, whether you use them or not.

I mean, do what you want but there are easier, more efficient ways to get where you want to be

Which is glitchy on a Hopper. The point I'm making is that you're spending money on all this equipment. It's like buying a combine to cut your lawn. So instead of a 128GB Flash Drive, same setup I mentioned with a 2TB HDD that connects via USB. Not have a Dish you have to work around, not have cabling that looks like it was patchworked together. Not using an LNBF that's obsolete. Not having to struggle trying to get it pointed but plug and play and have a better YT app and every other app on the planet, whether you use them or not.

I mean, do what you want but there are easier, more efficient ways to get where you want to be
The dish dose work my hopper just won’t recognize it or complete check switch because I need new coax, and the spot I’ve put the dish in, is alredy pointed and just needs to be fine tuned, and as for the install? 1000.4 Eastern arc dish with 1 solo node and a spare solo node in case it fails.

...and have a better YT app and every other app on the planet, whether you use them or not.
You do realize that the Hopper 2 will support the Hopper+ whenever that product is finally released. The Hopper+ will allow any app from the Google Play store to be downloaded and integrated into the Hopper 2. So, there goes that part of your argument.

You do realize that the Hopper 2 will support the Hopper+ whenever that product is finally released. The Hopper+ will allow any app from the Google Play store to be downloaded and integrated into the Hopper 2. So, there goes that part of your argument.
Also the dish network remote is better and there is also the better gui,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)