Is a Laser Mouse worth it?

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
I recently moved my big gaming PC into my living room and attached it to my nice 50" Panny Plasma. Luckily I already had a wireless keyboard and wireless mice so I could control everything perfectly well from the comfort of my couch. Sadly, the frequency of "perfectly well" has varied greatly as of late, at least as far as the mouse is concerned.

I currently have a Logitech LX7 which has served me well over the years, but unfortunately like with relationships, adding distance and new surroundings has created some communication problems. The mouse's distance is about 6-8 ft (I can get a more precise number when I get home) and the performance at any given time can range from A- to F. Very often the mouse will either not register my button clicks the first time around (which gets very annoying when it comes to drag and dropping) or the cursor will slowly go across the screen like its a whining 4 year old being dragged out crying of a supermarket because you refused to buy them candy at the checkout lane. These incidents are often book ended by the random cursor shifting to the top left corner, which is VERY inconvenient when you're in the middle of playing an FPS like TF2 or CS:S. Of course, that behavior may also be influenced by using my mouse on the couch cushion, sometimes with or without my old, black Alienware mousepad. Oh, and the left mouse button spring cracked some time ago (and apparently did for many other users) so I have to push extra hard for the left mouse button to register.

As a result, I've been contemplating getting a new wireless mouse. I need something that works well over distances greater than 6 ft (greater than 10 ft would be much preferred) as well as works on a larger variety of surfaces that aren't mouse pads. It looks like a laser mouse with 2.4 ghz wireless may be what I'm looking for, but since that technology is more expensive I'm not willing to spend more on newer technology if existing, cheaper technology works just as well. I was looking at the Logitech MX Revolution mouse, which is on sale now at Best Buy for $40. Does this mouse (or a mouse similar) sound like something that will satisfy all my needs (as far as computer performance goes) or should I look into other options instead?

I have a rocketfish 2.4ghz laser mouse which I bought on ebay. The going buy it now price is $15 shipped. It is wireless usb with 2 buttons and a scroll wheel on top with two thumb buttons. I can confirm a range of at least 20ft and it probably does the 30ft it claims.

I have had mine for over a year now and it still works flawlessly with the same set of batteries. I use it infrequently to pause shows on hulu, abc.com etc. so I am not submitting it to the same torture gaming would.

I have a rocketfish 2.4ghz laser mouse which I bought on ebay. The going buy it now price is $15 shipped. It is wireless usb with 2 buttons and a scroll wheel on top with two thumb buttons. I can confirm a range of at least 20ft and it probably does the 30ft it claims.

I have had mine for over a year now and it still works flawlessly with the same set of batteries. I use it infrequently to pause shows on hulu, abc.com etc. so I am not submitting it to the same torture gaming would.
What kind of surface do you have it on? You think it would work well on a non-smooth surface like a couch cushion? Also, do you think 2.4 ghz will interfere with other stuff? It would be near my cpu with a 2.4 ghz wireless card and my Xbox 360 which I'm pretty sure uses 2.4 ghz.

Don't worry about 2.4 GHz - they use same frequency hopping mechanism to prevent interference.

Laser device working fine on all surfaces exclude glass; as to your sofa cushion - NP, just be ready to cleanup optical spot often from dust and lint. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)