Is AMC-4 and IA-5 close enough to use 1 dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Second part of question, are there any other satellites that I could use 1 dish and 2 lnbs with? I am looking for some old dishes from local satellite companies, and thought I could expand my set up and do some tinkering :)

I would say yes.

At one point I had my channelmaster dish with 5 lnbs. Back when I had Dish and Bev, I had it at 119, 110, 101(used just for pointing; could be used for AMC 4), 91, and 82.

When I was just using DN for the old HDTV channels (back when the 5000 modulators were still in use), I had it pointed at 61.5, 82, and 91.

Granted, these slots are all circular feeds, but I find it hard to believe that you couldn't use one dish for 2 or more sats that is within 9 degrees or lower.

A large elipical dish would help (imo) for multi lnb setups

Thanks! I wasn't sure. So you think about 9 degrees or less and it might work? I am looking for some "scrap" gear, and will have to experiment :)

Larry

97/101 is VERY doable. Honestly any combination of 2 slots (as long as they are within 6 degrees of each other) will work. Only problem is one (the offset) will be lower especially on a round dish. So if you do this, use 97 as your main and 101 as the offset.

I can get KUIL (Fox) with a DirecTv Phase II (which is only 24x20) with good signal. 3ABN is also booming. The rest is iffy. I did have an elliptical dish set up for 97/101 a while back. I took my Starchoice (Channelmaster) eliptical dish and aimed it at 97/101 and had great results on both satellites.

I use to have 4 LNB's on a DirecPC dish. 91/82/95/110.

thats the fun of the hobby...seeing what we can do :D

Thanks for the info! I am in the mood to tinker. I am trying to find some dishes around town, but so far no luck. I plan on ordering my motor in the next few days. I might even get the post in the ground this weekend :)

I've seen pictures here of a PrimeStar dish with two LNBFs side by side, I think technically you would have pointed the dish somewhere in between the two satellites which I think were maybe 4 degrees apart.

This is just going off my swiss-cheese memory so the details might not be accurate

The aiming will depend on if you have a center mounted LNBF and mount another to the side or both lnbfs are equally offset from the center of the LNBF arm like the StarChoice.

When setting up a main centered LNBF with 2nd offset LNBF, place the weaker satellite in the center position and peak the dish aiming and LNBF focal distance and rotation. Position the 2nd LNBF to the side for the stronger satellite (place the lnbf on the opposite side of where the satellite is located). You will find that the LNBF will need to be raised or lowered to adjust for the difference in elevation of the 2nd satellite.

You can easily receive satellites that are spaced 20+ degrees with acceptable loss.

I have attached a few photos for one of the new twin LNBF 4 degree LNBF solutions that will be distributed with the Glorystar Christian satellite system. The solution uses 2 new GEOSATpro GSL1s Bullet LNBF (the smallest LNBF in the world) and has been designed for side by side mounting for satellites resolving at 4 degrees. The bracket rotates for 80 degrees of skew. This solution will be available with in the month.

Attachments

• 4degwith-LNBF_back.jpg
    4degwith-LNBF_back.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 208
  • 4degwith-LNBF_side.jpg
    4degwith-LNBF_side.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 219
sweet :)

One thing though. The StarChoice setup the LNB for 2nd satellite is "dead on" and not offset. 107.3 (main satellite) is :)

That is COOL!!!!!!!!!

SatelliteAV said:
The aiming will depend on if you have a center mounted LNBF and mount another to the side or both lnbfs are equally offset from the center of the LNBF arm like the StarChoice.

When setting up a main centered LNBF with 2nd offset LNBF, place the weaker satellite in the center position and peak the dish aiming and LNBF focal distance and rotation. Position the 2nd LNBF to the side for the stronger satellite (place the lnbf on the opposite side of where the satellite is located). You will find that the LNBF will need to be raised or lowered to adjust for the difference in elevation of the 2nd satellite.

You can easily receive satellites that are spaced 20+ degrees with acceptable loss.

I have attached a few photos for one of the new twin LNBF 4 degree LNBF solutions that will be distributed with the Glorystar Christian satellite system. The solution uses 2 new GEOSATpro GSL1s Bullet LNBF (the smallest LNBF in the world) and has been designed for side by side mounting for satellites resolving at 4 degrees. The bracket rotates for 80 degrees of skew. This solution will be available with in the month.

For a single 0.3db LNBF with oval dish, you may able to get signal from two satellites like G3R and T5 by lower the dish elevation to half degree, but it is very tricky and kind of hard to adjust. I will try to do this with the super dish and see if get any better but with over hundred degree day time this coming few days, I will put it to hold.

Well I have my name in with a local Directv shop for any Primestar dishes, and, I spied a Primestar dish/lnb behind a house a few blocks from me last night :) I am going to try to get a hold of them this weekend and see if they want to sell it. I think I will offer them $20, does that sound fair? Then sink a pipe in some cement and the tinkering will begin :)

I have been keeping my eyes open for Primestar dishes. I hope to get this one. I want to tinker, but I don't wnt to tinker with my "main" dish (G10). :) AND, it is going to be over 100 with the heat index for the next several days, so it is time to tinker :)

I am in St. Vincent and the Grenadines and I can get both IA5 and AMC4 on my 180cm channel master dish. IA5 as the center feed and AMC4 stack above about 5 inches above the center LNBF.

The side by side solution will not work for people in the Caribbean. The LNBF have to be stack above.

Now I am receiving good signal from IA5 up to 90% signal on some transponder. I am getting 91% signal on AMC4 and quality of 45/60% on 3ABN, 45% on Hope and 50% on KUIL (Fox).

Greggor
The reason you have to stack them is due to location. You’re so far east that the skew is pretty steep. IN most of the US (maybe the coasts) due to skew they can just set it next to the 97 LNB and get 101 (may have to raise it a little bit) :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.