Is AT&T gutting DIRECTV?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
SVOD will never take over completely, people want to watch sports and news live not on demand.

Yes, that's true. Although live sports and news can be delivered OTT. They already are in limited amounts, through services like ESPN+ and DAZN. (Yes, there are real questions about the technical feasibility of delivering massively watched live sporting events, such as the Super Bowl, solely via OTT unicast streams. But that's what multicast is for.)

Still haven't done your homework. Compression can be added to an analog or digital signal and nearly all older analog recordings on vinyl, cassette, 4-track, 8-track, reel to reel, etc, have anywhere from some to way too much compression. Today compression is almost always done in the digital domain but not always. When my DirecTV site did live voice overs for sporting events we did audio compression in the analog domain before the signal was digitized and sent over the air to customers.

I know...compression happens after the analog to digital conversion...you can't compress a analog signal..i was remembering the old pre digital days

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: CycloneSat
AT&T sucks, they are a terrible company. Right, from the beginning I thought AT&T would at least damage DirecTV's brand. Well, they not only damaged it but AT&T have set on a path to destroy it and HOPE they would be able to hold onto the dismayed, and pissed off subscribers.

AT&T has been a terrible Company for DECADES, the only reason they are still around is they have managed to build a Monopoly EMPIRE mostly upon huge sums of debt, which we subscribers are helping pay off through increased fees.

Now AT&T is expected to hollow out what remains of a Premium service in the hopes AT&T will be able hold onto High Quality Subscribers.

I'll tell you this right now, this high value subscriber has NO intention of churning to their POS streaming service. I have a feeling most of DirecTV's loyal customers likely feel the same way.

I choose to stay with DirecTV for a number of reasons, even though it costs me personally much more than a CABLE TV/INTERNET Bundle (Currently I have to pay a highly overpriced Cable Internet only fee for my internet). If I was to expected to either Switch to AT&T streaming or churn to another provider, I'll churn over to my local Cable Company for their combined Bundled service and save myself the money mostly because the Cable TV Streaming from Spectrum is on par with what AT&T will provide me for VASTLY less money.

John

AT&T of years ago does not exist, the current AT&T is SBC that bought the rights to the dying AT&T brand years ago. SBC sucked more than AT&T.

No...I was talking about resonance....when you talk your voice resonates into higher and lower frequencies you can't hear.(music instruments too)..when you convert analoge to digital they cut off those frequencies...its not compression...the end result is a clearer sound but its not as "warm"...it doesn't sound or feel real
Still haven't done your homework. Compression can be added to an analog or digital signal and nearly all older analog recordings on vinyl, cassette, 4-track, 8-track, reel to reel, etc, have anywhere from some to way too much compression. Today compression is almost always done in the digital domain but not always. When my DirecTV site did live voice overs for sporting events we did audio compression in the analog domain before the signal was digitized and sent over the air to customers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

I've always found it a little odd the amount of attention that these live streaming cable TV services like YouTube TV, PS Vue, etc. receive over at Cord Cutters News and on other cord-cutter-centric sites and forums. Pretty sure over the past few years that the majority of those cutting the cord on traditional cable/satellite services have NOT been turning to a streaming replacement service but rather simply to on-demand streaming services like Netflix and HBO Now (sometimes in combination with free OTA TV). And then there's a growing number of "cord-nevers," young adults forming households (e.g. post-college) who never sign up for any kind of live cable TV service in the first place.

As long as live cable TV service remains a thing, I expect that the great majority of those who subscribe to it will get it from the same company that sells them internet service. Although, as two of the nation's biggest internet providers, AT&T and Comcast, get into the OTT streaming video business, I think the line will blur somewhat in terms of whether the live cable TV services they offer are "traditional cable TV" or "streaming cable TV". I do think it's likely that many smaller broadband providers, and possibly even larger ones like Charter and Verizon, ultimately shut down their own first-party cable TV services and instead strike deals to sell the streaming cable TV and on-demand services run by other companies to their broadband customers.
3 Rivers (Montana) and BELD (Braintree) already have shut down their cable services.

Reactions: NashGuy
3 Rivers (Montana) and BELD (Braintree) already have shut down their cable services.

Yes, and Verizon has begun selling YouTube TV to their broadband customers, although they've given no indications that they plan to phase out their FiOS TV service. (Although if their subscribers continue to decline over the next few years, who knows...)

Back to the Future part 2 did get the future right betting that AT&T would have taken over everything...

57608aee746c5dp

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts