Is Big Brother watching YOU?!

Yeah, and Scooter got convicted this week of ignoring a law he found inconvenient. Hopefully the message will start to get out there now....

I just finished a required (corporate policy) training course about privacy issues, since technically they can tie the information back to a given subscriber (via modem) they open themselves to potential lawsuits, (some incompetent worker may accidently allow that info to leak out)!!
So they should allow you to opt in or out, that covers there asses!!

I just finished a required (corporate policy) training course about privacy issues, since technically they can tie the information back to a given subscriber (via modem) they open themselves to potential lawsuits, (some incompetent worker may accidently allow that info to leak out)!!
So they should allow you to opt in or out, that covers there asses!!

D* allows you to opt out.If E* does not their in trouble.But then again D* let's you know online when your bill is ready.:D

But if you opt out then the red flag goes up.With the question"What ARE you doing that makes you opt out"?.:rolleyes:

Good luck getting somebody to wager that you're wrong. The "P" word started flying before the verdict was read. Now if only they'd go after a few more.

I guess people better not watch Al Jazerra if/when its available. Might get some nice men in windbreakers with big letters on them banging on the door in the middle of the night.

Oh... and wasnt there a bit of a snafu not to long ago about AOL releasing data that didnt have personal information removed?

Aww, you guys leave E* alone. They're just doing their part to stop terrorism. Invading peoples privacy, its the American way.....USA USA!
Actually we are still not sure what "Viewer Management" means. Dish is not saying so we are just guessing.

Hell, Viewer Management could be a upgraded version of a favorites list.

Viewer measurement, ITV... maybe this just has to do with a way to measure how many people are viewing vs. clicking the ads Dish inserts into cable programs, like for premium stations and PPV. Does not seem to be a big deal to me, given the restrictions on use of personal data in the contract.

Aww, you guys leave E* alone. They're just doing their part to stop terrorism. Invading peoples privacy, its the American way.....USA USA!

You might want to look at cnn.com today. The French have passed a law making it illegal for non- journalists to film and distribute pictures of violence in public. So if you see the police beating the hell out of Rodney King in France, you'd better not film it. I'm not kidding.

There is no such thing as privacy unless you mean the catch-phrase used by special interest groups to enrage the duped public into allowing them to subvert and pervert.

I can go online and for $19.95 learn all there is to know about anyone who lives on the "grid". So unless you are pirating E*/D* in a little cabin in Montana and then sneaking into town and typing these messages on a pc in the public library, you don't have "privacy" and never did.

Earlier this week we reported that Dish Network was going to begin rolling out "Viewer Management" software on some of its receivers. When we reported on this we speculated that Dish Network could be collecting the viewing habits of its customers.

Late this afternoon the following statement was sent to us by Dish Network.

“We have technology which allows us to collect anonymous, non-personally identifiable data. We are clearly aware of our Privacy Act obligations and adhere to them at all times, and do not disclose personally identifiable information concerning any subscriber for any purposes other than those clearly stated without the subscriber's prior written or electronic consent.”

Earlier this week we reported that Dish Network was going to begin rolling out "Viewer Management" software on some of its receivers. When we reported on this we speculated that Dish Network could be collecting the viewing habits of its customers.

Late this afternoon the following statement was sent to us by Dish Network.

Considering the fact that ll have seen that Charlie prefers to settle things in Court, I wouldnt bet a nickel on his privacy statement. He's more of the "take me court" type of guy.

The "Privacy Policy" is BS. I know all about most company's privacy policies and ca tell you nothing is sacred now days when it comes to privacy.

Also DBS companies have been doing this longer than you think.

Your information IS NOT anonymous for the simple fact that your caller ID shows up on their computers when your receiver dials in to send the information over the phone modem. Your access card number is also sent which is unique to YOU the subscriber.

Some people may not even care, but it's all a small step toward being owned IMHO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)