is c band still popular

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sxmfan2018

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 30, 2018
los angeles
i'm wondering if c band is still popular. as i remember back in the 90's it was popular and the programming was cheaper than cable.

i'm wondering if c band is still popular. as i remember back in the 90's it was popular and the programming was cheaper than cable.
Sill popular, at least with the members here. There are no subscription services anymore so it's even cheaper as everything we watch in the clear is free other than the cost of the equipment. Majority of our viewing is FTA satellite. :)

I dumped both Dish and DirecTV and fired up my old C-Band dish and never looked back. When you pay a subscription these days, you're paying to watch a blue million commercials. I still have to put up with the commercials, but at least I'm not paying for them. :) As FTA4PA pointed out, you have equipment cost, but when you consider the cost of eqipment now verses back in the day, it's a real bargain.

C-band arguably hasn't been "popular" for quite a while. Ka band offers perhaps just as much content and you don't need to care for and feed a BUD. Neither of them offer much in the way of name brand programming.

In my opinion the key thing to understand is that C-Band now is not what it used to be. You won't be able to watch mainstream "Cable" channels like HBO/Discovery/ESPN. But FTA C-Band and Ku-Band still have a lot to offer:
- some of the networks with much better picture quality than on Cable/DBS/OTA
- some more obscure US channels
- many Latin American channels
- many other foreign channels that can be really interesting, like DW, Arirang, NHK, CGTN, France24

in other words, C-Band FTA is different from Cable and other "direct" satellite services. It's not for everyone but i'm enjoying it a lot.

how does 87w compare to 99w does it have channels like NBC, Fox or any of its affiliates ?
I don't know of any full time network channels on 87w C band but there may be some feeds. Biggest draw for 87w C is the Luken mux @ 4140 V 29125. You can see a list of their channels here (list is a bit out of date as these change but still gives you an idea), :)

SES 2 at 87.0°W - LyngSat

OK Thanks seems as if there is no news networks there

Scratch that. I Just search and there seems to be a few thanks

Last edited:
In my opinion the key thing to understand is that C-Band now is not what it used to be. You won't be able to watch mainstream "Cable" channels like HBO/Discovery/ESPN. But FTA C-Band and Ku-Band still have a lot to offer:
- some of the networks with much better picture quality than on Cable/DBS/OTA
- some more obscure US channels
- many Latin American channels
- many other foreign channels that can be really interesting, like DW, Arirang, NHK, CGTN, France24

in other words, C-Band FTA is different from Cable and other "direct" satellite services. It's not for everyone but i'm enjoying it a lot.
i24 is gone, its only availabe scrambled, dw, rt, nhk, and cgtn are not really foreign, most of them hav american news shows in the US...kinda like bbc america.. if u do find i24 unscrambled then please tell me

CGTN documentary, RT documentary, Reelz, LAFFtv, Grit, Escape, Bounce, Nasa, Pursuit(outdoor ch), CW(all time zones), Canadian-cbs-nbc-fox-and CTV, multiple raw show feeds with commercials blacked out (or not there yet, kwhe Honolulu, wkhb ozarks, fox Puerto Rico(in english), nbc virgin islands, cozi tv, movies, me tv, this tv, H&I, decades, start tv, Buzzr, automotive tv, Revn, action, retro, raw news reporters on the scene pickin their nose, over 10 different PBS's, abc (all time zones)....and AMI(on canadian satellite), for a couple months history/vice/A&E were not being scrambled and i found good sports packs.... private message me for details

i24 and France 24 are definitely not the same thing. i24 is Israeli. It was for a while on 121W and left a few months ago. Too bad, it was quite good, and more balanced than one would expect considering the never ending tensions in that region of the world.

France 24 is indeed on 58W in French and English SD and Spanish HD. there's also an Arabic version but not in the Americas.

From the west coast, you might be able to find France 24 in Ku on Intelsat 18 @180W that covers French Polynesia and part of the US, but probably only the French-language version

i24 and France 24 are definitely not the same thing. i24 is Israeli. It was for a while on 121W and left a few months ago. Too bad, it was quite good, and more balanced than one would expect considering the never ending tensions in that region of the world.

France 24 is indeed on 58W in French and English SD and Spanish HD. there's also an Arabic version but not in the Americas.

From the west coast, you might be able to find France 24 in Ku on Intelsat 18 @180W that covers French Polynesia and part of the US, but probably only the French-language version
The france one is also i24 france, i know because its also comes in weak by local antenna broadcast, it was on 2 different places on 121 about a yr ago, one I24 that was scrambled, and i24 france next to RT documentary that definitely was the station on antenna.... it vanished, and now RT documentary is gone to, despite lyngsats listing

I get the Arabic version along with French and English on Nowhere TV using my Roku.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts