This week they added:
CNN-HD
Animal Planet HD
Discovery HD
History HD
FSN-South HD
USA HD
SciFi HD

That makes 30 broadcasted HD channels. I'm not counting the HD PPV channels or Comcast's funky marketing method of including ON Demand HD content, of which there is a LOT. While I agree with most that ON Demand HD content can't be counted towards the number of channels, it does count for something. There is quite a bit of HD content available and I do watch quite a few movies in HD from Starz, Encore, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax as well as some of the free HD movies.

Personally I think they're doing well; they added 7 this week for a total of 13 new HD channels this year in my area.

How do you feel about how Comcast in your area is keeping up with the dishies? Admittedly Dish and DTV both still have an overall higher channel count, but do you think Comcast is doing a decent job keeping up considering the lack of upgrading to newer technology (Mpeg 4, Switched Digital Video)?

*edit*
Whoops forgot NFL HD also in my area.

Last edited:
I cannot get satellite at my new location but I can say without a doubt I would rather have Comcast as my cable company instead of Bright House Networks. Also note I'm saying this based on experience as I had Comcast in Derry, New Hampshire for over a year and I now have Bright House Networks in Largo, Florida which I've had for years and years.

I can still say today I greatly miss Comcast because they sure offered far more bang for my buck and that bang is even better now too.

Looking at national channels only (and I'm not counting West Coast broadcasts of premium channels, Sunday Ticket, PPV, etc.):

Currently on DirecTV:

ESPN HD
ESPN2 HD
(Discovery) HD Theater
HDNet
HDNet Movies
TNT HD
Universal HD
The 101
HBO HD East
Showtime HD
A&E HD
Animal Planet HD
Big Ten HD
CNN HD
Discovery HD
History Channel HD
TLC HD
NFL Network HD
Science Channel HD
Smithsonian HD
TBS HD
Versus HD / Golf Channel HD
Weather Channel HD
The Movie Channel HD
SHO Too HD
Starz Comedy HD
Starz HD East
Starz Edge HD
Starz Kids and Family
Bravo
MHD
SCI FI
USA Network
Cinemax-E
NBC
Food HD
MGM
National Geographic
Fox Business Network
HGTV HD
FX HD
Speed Network HD
Fuel HD
The Cartoon Network
NBA HD
NHL Network HD
Nickelodeon HD East
Spike HD
Country Music Television
MTV HD
VH1 HD
Biography HD

Currently on Comcast (all channels not available in all areas, all but two confirmed for Baltimore by mid-January):

Sci-Fi HD
Animal Planet HD
Discover HD
The Learning Channel HD
NHL Network HD
USA Network HD
The History Channel HD
CNN HD
TBS HD
NFL Network HD
Food Network HD
HGTV HD
National Geographic HD
A&E HD
ESPN HD
ESPN2 HD
TNT HD
HD Theater (ex-Discovery)
MOJO
VSGLF Golf Channel HD / Versus HD
Universal HD
MHD
Fox Business HD
HBO HD
Cinemax HD
Showtime HD
Starz HD

That's DirecTV 52, Comcast 27, a difference of 25. At least 7 of the DirecTV channels currently have no HD content, so I'm not concerned about those. Also I don't subscribe to premium channels, so not counting those makes it 36 to 23, a difference of 13. SDV, and analog channel reduction should make things even closer by the end of next year.

Other than HDNet, I personally don't have much reason to switch to DirecTV. (And I don't want a dish on my apartment balcony). As always your mileage may vary.

I'm in Northern NJ and don't make me go there. We seem to have less than other regions and I live a 30 minutes away form their headquaters!

We don't have HGTV, CNN, Food HD, History HD, FSN-South HD, USA HD, or SciFi HD

I had DirecTv before we moved up here to Southern NH the past year. If we were not in this apartment, I would go back. It's better now with my HD TiVo with the CableCard, I hated the Comcast Cable Box, it froze too much and the Customer Service with Comcast is horrible.

Overall, since I got rid of Comcast Internet, the service is tolerable. It could be worse and we have had worse.

Meathead, while we may not have as many HD channels as Directv, Comcast is doing alright here in the Massanutten VA area. We went from 17 HD channels too 32. The main thing is the PQ remains great, I would rather have fewer channels with PQ than more and sub-par performance

I agree with you branchbouncer.

Comcast is doing quite a good job even considering the following hurdles keeping them from maximising their available bandwidth:

Analogs, analogs & more analogs - There will always be a need for at least a few analogs, but in my area there are still 70+.... sheeeeesh come on Comcast, piss off a few grannies already.

Mpeg2 - Huge installed base out there, but no more of a hurdle than the dishies have. Time to roll out some newer boxes.

no SDV - limited market testing?

QAM 256 - haven't heard a peep regarding Comcast and QAM 1024

Comcast Seattle behind everyone else still

Morning All!

Comcast Seattle still behind every other major market even with the 5 we just got. We're suppose to be getting 6 more in Jan., and that'll still leave of behind everyone else from what I can tell.

Here's what we got in Seattle.....

KOMO HD ABC
KING HD NBC
KIRO HD CBS
KCPQ HD FOX
KCTS HD PBS
KSTW HD The CW
KMYQ HD My Network TV
KONG HD IND
ESPN HD
ESPN2 HD
NFL HD ( just got mid Nov)
Universal HD
MHD
TNT HD
HD Theater
MOJO\ with Select FSNW Events
Versus\Golf HD
A&E HD ( just got Dec)
History HD ( just got Dec)
USA HD ( just got Dec)
National Geographic HD ( just got Dec)

Premiums

Starz HD
HBO HD
Cinemax HD
Stowtime HD

No one seems to what's coming with the 6 new ones in Jan. I ask if they think Scifi HD was one. They said that is more than likely one as that was one of the most requested HD channels now! :)

If any has heard what we're getting, let me know. I'm thinking of going D* if we don't Scifi HD this go round.:(

Thxs!

Eric

Morning All!

Comcast Seattle still behind every other major market even with the 5 we just got. We're suppose to be getting 6 more in Jan., and that'll still leave of behind everyone else from what I can tell.

Before we got three this week we had as many as you. We're getting three more in January. At 25 channels and more on the way your lineup is as good as most and better than many others.

You're right!

Merry X-mas!

I just looked at your list again, and after our next addition coming in Jan. looks like it'll put un in line with everyone else. I'm guessing we won't get the NHL Net in HD as we don't have a team here. So I guessing we'll get in Jan. is....

Scifi HD
CNN HD
TLC HD
Discovery HD
Animal Planet HD
FOX News HD

Thanks for pointing this out to me. Was really thinking of leaving but at second look it's notttoo bad. I'm still thinking of leaving if we happen to not get Scifi HD. :)

Thxs and Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it!

Eric

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)