Is D* doing some True HD again????

Status
Please reply by conversation.
ITS TRUE!!!!!! DiscoveryHD back at 1920x1088

ITS TRUE!!!!!! DiscoveryHD back at 1920x1088. Thanks to HDTVFanatic at dealdatabase.com

Pretty sad state of affairs when Directv is blowing away Dish on DiscoveryHD Theater
1920x1080i on DirecTV
1440x1080i on Dish
13.25 Mbps Video Bitrate on DirecTV
8.22 Mbps Video Bitrate on Dish
I-Frame 61,648 bytes on DirecTV
I-Frame 40,028 bytes on Dish
Both flunk putting 2 B frames back to back - but Directv still has 50% more Video Bitrate and higher resolution than Dish.

I noticed this the other day after the shifting. They aren't stat muxing their HD anymore.

TNT and DiscHD hold a solid 13.72mbps and never moves.

They should have kept them at 1280x1080 or at least 1440x1080, they would have looked better.

EDIT: The TP on 110 with 3 HD's is till stat muxing. Crazy... 3 HD's stacked into a 30mbps TP.

What are you going to do with yourself Vurbano if everything gets displayed at max HD? This is good news. Is it September yet?

He'll have to let FIOS in so he can complain about something. ;) :D

We kid because we love. :)

Aren't there people in O&O markets that cannot receive OTA? These are there for them permanently I believe.

This has nothing to do with the ability to receive OTA. They were talking about when D* carries your locals in HD you would lose the national feeds.

What are you going to do with yourself Vurbano if everything gets displayed at max HD?
Enjoy the PQ and pray they don't take it away. I had thought DiscoveryHD had looked better for a few weeks but kept telling myself it was just in my head.

Enjoy the PQ and pray they don't take it away. I had thought DiscoveryHD had looked better for a few weeks but kept telling myself it was just in my head.

Based on your long history of posts bashing D*'s HD offerings, the last part of your statement is almost too tempting to pass up commenting on, but I'll try to overcome my "more base" tendencies and let it go.

Enjoy your true HD!!!

I don't know what is going on, but the MLB HD games have looked awesome in the last week or so, better than ever. The Indians-White Sox game looked great last night. I hope this is not a tease. If it stays this way we should all send Vurbano a Christmas card. He has led the charge on true HD. Maybe some of the suits are starting to listen. Keep up the good work and thank you Vurbano.

Well, since Vurbano posted that this may be the case I decided to take a look myself. Yup, I don't understand all the numbers he put up and frankly I don't ever understand any of the stats etc... that Digiblur posts, but, alas.....damn, that station looks good. On the Baseball side of things I still don't understand why the Yanks on the YES network is still the best picture I have ever seen, why is that channel so freakin good, even when the others look great, YES is even better. Is it their equipment? Are they for some reason getting less compressed, just wondering.
Anyway, I am still short of thanking Vurbano for I am still fairly certain that he is in fact the :devil: but it is nice that he noticed and posted something positive.

All we HD fans are asking for is to receive the HD channels (and not their watered-down counterpart) that are being advertized and we are paying to receive - nothing more. If there is a problem with the broadcaster or the source material then we'll take up that issue with the programming provider...however, the HD source should not be unnecessarily downgraded to an unacceptable bitrate or non-standard video format.

I was going to actually write about this today. I got to sit down last night and was flipping around on DirecTV and stumbled upon Discovery Theater HD and was STUNNED by the picture quality.

I quickly hit record on my HR20 and flipped on the same channel on Dish Network.

The DirecTV version of Discovery HD looked worlds better then the same channel on Dish Network!

I then flipped to the other HD channels such as HDNet and was disapointed with what I saw there.

My feeling is if they can do this with Dicovery, why can't they do this to all their HD channels once the new Satellite is up.

And BTW if you have not read my new article today at MultiChannel.COM go check it out... as I name the LEADER IN HD. (And who I pick is going to surprise some people)

On the Baseball side of things I still don't understand why the Yanks on the YES network is still the best picture I have ever seen, why is that channel so freakin good, even when the others look great, YES is even better. Is it their equipment? Are they for some reason getting less compressed, just wondering.

It's because YES HD is in *MPEG4* which is why we are all excited to see what happens with the new HD channels since they will be MPEG4 as well.

It's because YES HD is in *MPEG4* which is why we are all excited to see what happens with the new HD channels since they will be MPEG4 as well.

Unless they do what their doing to MPEG4 NESN HD. Quickly that excitement will turn to disappointment and at least one cancellation of service (mine).

Anyway, it's good to seem doing some full res. Hopefully it will all be that way.

YES-HD is ALSO sent down in MPEG2. The MLB-EI SF feeds on channels 94/95 - 730/731 are MPEG2.

Are we talking MPEG4 or MPEG2 - and is there a difference in PQ between the 2 that anyone can see?

YES has always looked better, even on the HR10-250 which I just replaced with the new HR20. So it was better even in MPEG2.

I was going to actually write about this today. I got to sit down last night and was flipping around on DirecTV and stumbled upon Discovery Theater HD and was STUNNED by the picture quality.

I quickly hit record on my HR20 and flipped on the same channel on Dish Network.

The DirecTV version of Discovery HD looked worlds better then the same channel on Dish Network!

I then flipped to the other HD channels such as HDNet and was disapointed with what I saw there.

My feeling is if they can do this with Dicovery, why can't they do this to all their HD channels once the new Satellite is up.

And BTW if you have not read my new article today at MultiChannel.COM go check it out... as I name the LEADER IN HD. (And who I pick is going to surprise some people)
This is a very good sign! Offhand, I don't think D* would crank-up-the-volume (so to speak) on Discovery Theater HD if they didn't plan to do the same with all their other HD channels. Even many of the "HD-Lite looks fine to me" people would begin to notice the differences in picture quality. Additionally, the folks at Verizon are really pushing their "superior picture" and the word is spreading as they will be nearing one-million TV customers by years end. Personally, I believe the tipping point was when I updated my signature.:rolleyes:

Well, the picture quality for DiscoveryHD on Dish Network took a crap about a month ago. They lowered the bit rate and put it down to 8 or 9 Mbps. Digi posted the bit rate in the uplink thread when they shuffled around some channels. But it's possible that Directv is actually improving the picture quality or it could be a combination or both.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)