Is Directv DVRs that bad?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I don't know what you guys are talking about. I had my HR20 for 8 months and never had a problem. I don't know why everybody is talking bad about Direct TV DVR. I love mine. I used to have the 622 and I wasn't to impress with it. Not enough to keep me with E*. Go ahead and get it. You won't regret it.

I concur.....never had a problem and I have 2 of the dvr's and as far as features, the only thing I miss on the 622 was the tv2 and PIP, other than that, it is very simple to use and they continually come up with new enhancements and updates that keep making it better. In all the time I had the 508, 921, & 622 Dish receivers, I don't recall them making improvements to functionality. Go for It.

i've said this before and have been torn a new one. the really positive thing about D HD DVR's is that it's more update able than E dvr's . i see these new functions and features always being added to current D dvr's while the E dvr's which by the way are very good is pretty much here is what you get and don't expect new features until the next model comes out. that to me is a big plus for D dvr's

I have an HR20 and a DVR+, and I think they perform ok. The remote recording is a cool feature (set a program to record from your web browser.) The only thing I don't like is that some simple functionality is hard to find in my opinion, like canceling a recording set or modifying it, or like how if you watch something you recorded and then stop it, you can't get back to your list of recorded material. You get booted back to a regular television screen and need to get back into the DVR list again. My dad has a Motorola HD-DVR from Comcast and that has similar functionality (from what I can tell, minus the remote recording though.)

Overall no, the DVRs from D* are not THAT bad..

I switched to D about 3 months ago. I have an HR21. I have had absolutely no problems whatsoever and cant understand what some of these people who have had repeated replacement are doing.

DITTO!! I switched a couple of weeks ago and so far I've had no problem with the HR21.

like how if you watch something you recorded and then stop it, you can't get back to your list of recorded material. You get booted back to a regular television screen and need to get back into the DVR list again.

Actually you can do what you're talking about, at least from the HR20 (I haven't tried this on an R15). While the movie is playing, paused or if you've hit the stop button and are looking at the resume/start over/delete...etc menu, all you have to do is the List button and it will take you to your record material.

Nothing but problems here , I hate them. I just got them to switch me from the 14 month HR20-700 I had a lot of problems . to one of the HR21-100 and its new , had no problems for a month then nothing but. I have to unplug it 1 time a week and just lately, I had no picture , no sound but could bring up the info and my play list, but no picture or sound , tried HDMI, comp.. and different Tv's had to unplug it , afterwards got picture back an as soon as I change channel it did it again , 3 time I went through this . This past Friday I had it set to record SGA on sicfi HD an I went to watch it and it recorded the SD version I went to check and it shows , season pass for the HD channel .

I have 3 HD DVR's and havent had not one issue with any of them. Software wise, D*'s DVR is very close to what E*'s DVR is now. I know that everyone used to dog on D*'s dvr in the past but it has improved over 1000% from the good ole days. As a new coustomer it will take a while to get used to but once you do, you will find out that it isnt that bad.
:up:up

i've said this before and have been torn a new one. the really positive thing about D HD DVR's is that it's more update able than E dvr's . i see these new functions and features always being added to current D dvr's while the E dvr's which by the way are very good is pretty much here is what you get and don't expect new features until the next model comes out. that to me is a big plus for D dvr's
I like to use the Mac and PC analogy with Dish being Mac (better, user friendly, and more stable, but fewer users and not very upgradable) with Direct being PC (good, cheep, gets you what you need, more users, and very upgradable).

I had the HR10-250/Tivo DVR for a number of years and loved it because it was rock solid (ie. froze maybe once or twice, recordings were successful, etc). I added the HR20-700 DVR around May 2007 and have been happy with it since I received it. I wasn't an early adopter like some people here, so I think any stability issues had already been resolved by the time I got it. Like most people, I did miss the dual live buffer, but I've moved on because I actually like the HR20 unit (menu is intuitive, I like the guide, I like that I can still watch live tv/recorded programming while reviewing guide/menu, no more phone needed, online scheduling, etc). I have only had the unit freeze 2-3 times and that is acceptable to me (especially after using Microsoft's Media Center edition on my PC for recording programming the three years prior to my Tivo experience).

My biggest complaint with the D-DVR is actually with the remote control for two reasons: (1) I prefer the ergonomic feel of the Tivo remote and (2) I prefer the location of the pause/fwd/stop buttons on the Tivo remote because they are in a more natural location in my mind.

Earlier this year, I officially retired my Tivo box by having it replaced with a HR21 model -- which is nearly identical to the HR20 -- and I especially like the two Ethernet jacks on the back so that I can chain my two DVRs together using a single data port on my home network. Again, I like this unit so I always find it interesting when people report about all of the problems that they have had with the D-DVRs.

One last note, I work with some people that have the Comcast DVR and I hear nothing by negative feedback from them, so I'm very happy with what D provides.

Marty.

I have 2 DVR's so far and no real issues with them. But to say that D*'s strength is signal strength??? I guess if you have a dish thats perfectly aligned. My 5lnb has been worked on 3 times and 99c only reads in the 70's. The biggest problem I see with D* is trying to get that dish right on everyones house. :rolleyes:

I like to use the Mac and PC analogy with Dish being Mac (better, user friendly, and more stable, but fewer users and not very upgradable) with Direct being PC (good, cheep, gets you what you need, more users, and very upgradable).

good point DK

Perhaps a bit off topic but like the OP I am in the process of switching to D* and have a question or two - looking for some help before commiting to D*.

1. Does D* offer more than 1 model of HD DVR? If so where can I find info on differences?

2. Does the D* HD DVRs feature access to OTA programming ? Integrated in the D* program guide? ( I currently have a Dish 811, which despite many issues, does a fine job integrating OTA and SAT programming in the guide)

3. Do the D* HD DVRs remotes use UHF? or RF?

Thanks in advance.

Perhaps a bit off topic but like the OP I am in the process of switching to D* and have a question or two - looking for some help before commiting to D*.

1. Does D* offer more than 1 model of HD DVR? If so where can I find info on differences?

2. Does the D* HD DVRs feature access to OTA programming ? Integrated in the D* program guide? ( I currently have a Dish 811, which despite many issues, does a fine job integrating OTA and SAT programming in the guide)

3. Do the D* HD DVRs remotes use UHF? or RF?

Thanks in advance.

#1 - Yes they do, the HR20 which has built in two ATSC tuners, a HR21 which doesn't have built in ATSC tuners but can be added on with the AM21 module ($50) which ads two two ATSC tuners. If you're a new customer and D* doesn't have HD locals in your area tell them you'd like them to give you the AM21 for free. There is also the HR21Pro which is a purchase only receiver for around $700 I think which is a rack mount unit for high end units, most consumers don't need this unit.

#2 - With either the HR20 or HR21/AM21 the ATSC/OTA tuners are fully intergrated into the guide data and allows for seamless tuning/recording.

#3 - Yes, the remotes can be used in either IR or RF mode on the HD DVR's.

Actually you can do what you're talking about, at least from the HR20 (I haven't tried this on an R15). While the movie is playing, paused or if you've hit the stop button and are looking at the resume/start over/delete...etc menu, all you have to do is the List button and it will take you to your record material.

I don't know how long it's been that way, but I discovered the other day that the PREV button will take you back to the recording as long as you haven't changed channels.

IMO, many problems reported could be attributed to poor power. I have my units (HR20 and HR10) on a UPS and have had 0 problems. We just had a 10s power outage and they kept on recording.

I switched from E* to D* due to signal issues. I too was worried about the DVR issues I've read about. Well, as a former E* 622 user. I love it. I now have 2 HR21's and they work great. They have screen savers if you pause. I like the search feature better. It's a little slower than the 622 but not by much, especially if you navigate through the guide using "page" up or down instead of arrowing up or down. It took a couple of days of playing around with it to get used to it but once I did its really not an issue to me at all! I'm saving money as well with basically the same programming with D* so I'm happy ;)......Hope this helps someone

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts