Is Dish downgrading the audio on movies?

My Marantz receiver always shows Dolby D, stereo or prologic. If yours shows stereo only, change to prologic and it will be in 5.1.

Everything I listen to on my avr is correct ie if it says Dolby Digital it is Dolby Digital.If it says stereo it is stereo with one exception-my local CBS.I detailed that issue in another thread and if any one cares DIRT sent a report to technical and the reply was ...(wait for it)...... nothing. SURPRISE!

It used to be that if you reported technical problems to dishquality at echostar dot com, they'd get fixed. I haven't tried it in years, but I imagine that if DIRT didn't get it fixed, they don't bother anymore.

OK, I spent some time on this. I went to the FXM channel, 384, and it was showing Prometheus. It was in DD 5.1 as shown on my Denon AVR and my Denon app on my iPad. I brought up the same movie on FXM On Demand and it shows stereo. So, I looked at 10 movies available On Demand with FXM and they are all stereo. It appears tha FXM is not passing 5.1 on the OD films. Considering other channels are passing 5.1 OD just fine I have to put the ball in FXMs court.

Maybe they're stripping down the audio to save download bandwidth. Lame if true, but I wouldn't put it past them.

OK, I spent some time on this. I went to the FXM channel, 384, and it was showing Prometheus. It was in DD 5.1 as shown on my Denon AVR and my Denon app on my iPad. I brought up the same movie on FXM On Demand and it shows stereo. So, I looked at 10 movies available On Demand with FXM and they are all stereo. It appears tha FXM is not passing 5.1 on the OD films. Considering other channels are passing 5.1 OD just fine I have to put the ball in FXMs court.

That explains a lot then. I will try some of that today myself.

Question: I did find a movie last night (forgot the name already) and watched a bit. It is a DD 5.1 movie and my AVR said DD. It reported 3/

My AVR is set to
Dolby DTS Netural:X (This should up-mix a 5.5 to a 7.1)
Under that is input signal it showed DD
Under that isThe number of input signal channels (presence of front, surround, LFE).
Mine shows 3/0/.1

So doesn't this mean 3 channels and no surround??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)