Is Dish offering free Hoppe 3 upgrades

I just did a Hopper3 and Joey 4k upgrade. Did an on line chat and was offer a bad deal initially. Told them that was not good enough and I had been a DISH customer for more than 10 years, etc. etc. and they needed to do better. Got them down to free upgrade including service call, but needed to sign up for an insurance plan for $95 a year. I did it and am under the belief or understanding that I can cancel at anytime. Thought that was as good as I was going to get.

I just did a Hopper3 and Joey 4k upgrade. Did an on line chat and was offer a bad deal initially. Told them that was not good enough and I had been a DISH customer for more than 10 years, etc. etc. and they needed to do better. Got them down to free upgrade including service call, but needed to sign up for an insurance plan for $95 a year. I did it and am under the belief or understanding that I can cancel at anytime. Thought that was as good as I was going to get.

I just signed up for service this week but on my email about my insurance it does say:

Existing DISH Subscribers: If You cancel
this Plan within 180 days of purchase of this Plan, the Purchase Price paid by You is fully earned, You will
not receive a refund or credit, and You will be charged a cancellation fee of $30.00, where allowed by law.
If You cancel this Plan after 180 days of purchase of this Plan, the Purchase Price paid by You is fully earned,
You will not receive a refund or credit, and You will not be charged a cancellation fee. If this Plan was
inadvertently sold to You on a Product which was not intended to be covered, We will cancel this Plan and
return the full Purchase Price of the Plan to You. If We cancel this Plan, You will be provided with a written
notice at least 30 days prior to cancellation at Your last known address, with the effective date for the
cancellation and the reason for cancellation. If We cancel, You will be refunded or credited the unearned pro
rata amount of the Purchase Price for the then-current month, less any claims paid, where allowed by law.

So I would assume you would have to pay $30 cancellation fee.

Well I thought I might have gotten misinformation. Ends up a push, either the service plan or pay for the service call. Same price either way. The tech ran into some minor problems with getting my programming mostly due to MLB extra innings and ended up being her for two hours. Charlie is not going to get rich on that type of install. All in all I am happy.

I was told that I am eligible for a free hopper 3 upgrade but that a 2 year commitment is required. I totally understand the reason behind the commitment but I am just not willing to lock back into a contract at this time due to a forced update that has broken my current setup, that was working flawlessly and totally met my needs.
Would a Hopper 3 fix that which was broken?

The problem is it shouldn't be broken and he is forced to sign a new contract for something that was working great before the update.
Equipment failure IS a tool the CSR;s can use to waive a new agreement. I just helped a customer upgrade to a Hopper 3 for 50 bucks, no contract and the CSR used that as a way to wave the new agreement, so it can be done but as always YMMV depending on which CSR you get. Whenever I have to call in for something like this, I ALWAYS make the overseas guys get me to a US CSR.

Would a Hopper 3 fix that which was broken?

Besides the interface itself, I would assume so. I am fairly certain that the slowness that the update introduced would go away, but as far as incomplete recordings, at times unable to pause recordings, lockups that require hard reboots (to name a few), how would I know until I tried it. And therein lies the rub, I am not willing to chance it and lock into a new commitment to see if it will be better.

On a side note, I am trialing Playstation Vue, and so far so good. This with a few more Fire TVs may be the answer.

(Although a cablecard with a HD Homerun Prime, NAS runnig HD Homerun DVR, also looks intriguing to me.)

Just about 4 more months and my Crappy Ass contract i signed to go back to two HWS's will be up. If i cant get two H3's as Crappy as they are, im done. After over Twenty years with Dish, Im done. The Carbon UI is total Garbage. Yah, ive been on here complaining(ranting) about how bad the CUI is...But Damn after over a year of peace with the old system..... my box has crashed all by itself 3 times in the last 24 hours. Black screen.... and as far as i can tell, a Bigger caller ID...yay.

I don't think Dish will say you can't have 2 H3's, that's what a function of the 42 switch is for, but I think they'll want you to purchase one of them. Of course, in 4 months, that could change, too, right?

I understand everyone has their own preferences, but I like the CUI better that the original, albeit, I don't use EHD's and 4X FF means nothing to me. Yet, I am thinking about adding an exterior OTA with the dual USB and seeing some of you guys having problems, if it's because of the CUI, I get it, but it seems more because of the U502 than the UI itself, correct??

I guess it's like Win 10. I tamed it quickly, while I have friends that still ache for XP for reasons I'll never understand

I guess it's like Win 10. I tamed it quickly, while I have friends that still ache for XP for reasons I'll never understand

I like Win10, because it is not full of bugs like the Hoppers new CUI. The old interface was fairly workable, but the new CUI has bugs that have been there from the download and are not getting fixed.

After almost a week with the H3, here is my initial take:

The CUI looks slicker than the old Hopper UI, but that is about it. It seems like I have to perform more button presses to do the same functions, although I have no way to confirm that. On top of that, the new remotes combine too many functions. The 40.0 remotes were perfect (for me). Still fewer buttons than the insane Time Warner Cable remotes we used to have, but just about everything you need was right there. No holding to FF/RW/Live TV, etc.

I see why someone at Dish thought they had to update their UI, but I am not sure why that couldn't have just been a re-skin of the old one. There may have been programmatic reasons, or it just might have been unworkable on the H3, which is so much more powerful than the previous Hoppers.

Either way, I don't think the CUI was necessary from a functional standpoint. It seems like almost entirely a marketing decision. I am just not sure most customers actually make decisions about their satellite service based on how pretty the UI appears.

It seems like I have to perform more button presses to do the same functions, although I have no way to confirm that. On top of that, the new remotes combine too many functions. The 40.0 remotes were perfect (for me).
If you kept them, you can still use your 4.0 remotes. My wife does in the bedroom.

I received a mailing - card (from DISH) about upgrading. I finally got around to calling just to make sure I was not passing on something I would want, and they will indeed give me a Hopper 3 and up to two Joeys (not wireless) for no charge including installation. Here's the problem. First unless it was very beneficial I don't really need the Hopper at this time! :) Second they would cancel my current contract and start a new two year one, that length isn't the problem. It would not be my current customer deal so I actually would in effect be paying for that hopper by not having the discounts in addition to no longer being grandfathered to the $7 DVR fee. I'm certain they know all that and why the free upgrade offer.... I'm paying far less than most people with other services bundled or not, less than even DISH subscribers unless they are grandfathered and have the current customer deal, AND got that before the price increase. So I'm good.

That isn't the redundancy we mean. Having the ability to record on many tuners means nothing if the receiver fails. Means nothing for that Joey in the other room. My trusty VIP receivers however can provide redundancy if needed and over the years a few times have done so for various reasons.

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)