Is Dish offering free Hoppe 3 upgrades

So it’s basically an hd duo that uses a joey for the second screen. That’s how they can finally rule out the “legacy” receivers.
That how it appears, but again, I first heard about this in Spring, and nothing since. TBH, I won't be shocked if we're still doing VIP installs after 10/1. In MY opinion, they need to work out the bugs with current software before they start fielding a whole new line of receivers.

Far less of a fail rate

SSDs are a consumable. HDDs are not. Once you've used up the endurance of an SSD, it is toast. To get an SSD that would last years in a consumer DVR which records constantly would be very expensive. I am not sure how much a Hopper3 is able to write a day, but with 16 tuners, you could fill up the 500 Hours Dish claims the Hopper3 is capable of recording in 1.3 days. With the overhead of SSD garbage collection, you'd probably need one which could be over written more than 3 times per day. Here is an example of a 5 Drive Write Per Day SSD in the 1.92TB size:

Micron 5100 MAX - solid state drive - 1920 GB - SATA 6Gb/s - MTFDDAK1T9TCC-1AR1ZABYY - Solid State Drives (SSDs) - CDW.com

I doubt Dish wants to spend that kind of money when a 2TB spinning disk costs them less than $100.

Reactions: KAB
"Thrity days hath September..." do you need me to finish it?:D
Lol. I actually never learned that song. I also cannot count the months and days on my knuckles like I have seen done before. I usually just try to think what the next month is and that will usually tell me how many days are in a month.

There does need to be a better tuner solution or in between the super joey and hopper 3. Also, they really need to improve Wally reliability and general ZIP receiver stability as well.
I can't imagine what or why you are suggesting here.The Super Joey was just more or less a patch between HWS and H3. What would be the point (especially financially) to introduce an "in-between" receiver of lesser capability than the H3? Now, you really have me scratching my head over your VIP (not ZIP) comment. With exception of the 922, they have truly been the stalwarts of dependency in the history of Dish. In fact there are some here that won't give up their VIPs until their hands are cold!
I think he was using internal Dish lingo. In other words, the Hopper series has an official "XiP" designation, with the Hopper 3 being a "ZiP" receiver.
As far as the point of an "in-between" receiver, could it be to provide an upgrade option that average subscribers can actually afford? Nah, that would make too much sense.