Is Dish planning on more HD channels, like Oxygen?

MrDRC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 29, 2004
Way South via the Northern Lands
GF just moved from Direct to a Dish and she watches Oxygen a lot. She's complaining it's not in HD like it is on Direct. I dont recall many recent changes from SD to HD on Dish. Anyone hear if Dish is transitioning anymore channels like Oxygen?

GF just moved from Direct to a Dish and she watches Oxygen a lot. She's complaining it's not in HD like it is on Direct. I dont recall many recent changes from SD to HD on Dish. Anyone hear if Dish is transitioning anymore channels like Oxygen?
Since Oxygen is an NBC Universal channel, I wouldn't expect the HD feed anytime soon. Dish is about to have a dispute with most (maybe all) of the NBC cable channels and their owned-and-operated local NBC and Telemundo affiliates. I am not sure if Oxygen will be affected by this particular dispute or not. So, you may end up completely without that channel for awhile. Either way, I would not expect the HD feed to be added until sometime after that dispute gets resolved, with a new long-term contract.

Reactions: MrDRC
I think you can watch it through the Oxygen app in HD with your Dish subscription. I can watch it in HD through the Oxygen app on Roku with the Welcome Pack. It may not be ideal but a possibility.
Yes, Oxygen is also in HD if you stream it directly from Dish Anywhere. (That is, if you select it from the guide as a streaming channel, rather than Slinging it from the Hopper.) My point was that it is currently unclear how much longer Oxygen will remain available from Dish in any form at all, though.

Thanks fellas! Streaming is the ticket for Oxygen HD! Thanks for the tips.

Hate to hear it might be going away but like many things satellite or cable TV we're a dying breed. Hopefully Charlie comes up with something to keep Dish as a viable source. The Hopper is BY FAR the best DVR receiver on the market. Ive been a loyal Dish customer for 22 years and just got my GF to switch from Direct. She also now loves it and she'll be the last to convert to steaming. She's major old school but eventually we're all going to adapt. I told her today I expect another 5-8 years with a traditional service like Dish or cable but we'll all be in the streaming world in the end. If someone comes up with a DVR option for streaming, not all shows are available on-demand, they'll hit the mother load. We'll see...

I think you can watch it through the Oxygen app in HD with your Dish subscription. I can watch it in HD through the Oxygen app on Roku with the Welcome Pack. It may not be ideal but a possibility.

We found you can watch a show on DVR from Oxygen and then select "episodes" and any of those available will be in HD. Don't have to use the app.

On another note, obviously I don't post a lot but, I've been a habitual lurker. In 4 days I'll celebrate my 17th year registered on the site. I was probably lurking for a year before that. This has always been the GO TO source for the best satellite info on the internet even when there used to be bunches of other sites. Scott has kicked major azz with this site from day 1.

NBC just announced they will shut down their sports channel and many more are expected to follow..everything will be on the peacock app

any idea when the NBC contract ends with Dish?
This is based solely on an offer from Dish that was posted in another thread, showing the advertised number of channels for the Multi-Sport Pack being cut down to only "15+ channels" (currently advertised as "20+ channels") in a free offer that begins in March. So, I would expect that the regional NBC Sports channels (and all other channels involved in this dispute) would be removed by then. The free Multi-Sport offer lasts for five months. Not so coincidentally, there is also a refund credit for five months' worth of the Regional Sports surcharge now showing up on subscribers' bills (as posted in yet another thread) in regions where they currently still have those RSN's. So, it looks like maybe Dish is preparing for that dispute to last at least five months. So, they are getting ahead of it by providing bill credits and offering some free sports programming as a "replacement."

Reactions: Conway
Since Oxygen is an NBC Universal channel, I wouldn't expect the HD feed anytime soon. Dish is about to have a dispute with most (maybe all) of the NBC cable channels and their owned-and-operated local NBC and Telemundo affiliates. I am not sure if Oxygen will be affected by this particular dispute or not. So, you may end up completely without that channel for awhile. Either way, I would not expect the HD feed to be added until sometime after that dispute gets resolved, with a new long-term contract.

Well, I guess my investment in the Dual OTA adapter was a good thing! ;)

Reactions: pattykay
On another note, obviously I don't post a lot but, I've been a habitual lurker. In 4 days I'll celebrate my 17th year registered on the site. I was probably lurking for a year before that. This has always been the GO TO source for the best satellite info on the internet even when there used to be bunches of other sites. Scott has kicked major azz with this site from day 1.
17 years of putting up with all those ads.:hail

Have you considered a Pub Membership? #TwistArm :)

I'm am wondering when Dish or any other Satellite/Cable Provider will ever add channels that are 4K/HDR. I talked to a rep. from Vizio and asked why, even with all of the different HDMIs, why my television was not showing that I owned a 4K HDR. He said, that my provider would have to have channels with more 4K content. So, hopefully Dish will add some Channels in the near future with 4K HDR capability.

I'm am wondering when Dish or any other Satellite/Cable Provider will ever add channels that are 4K/HDR. I talked to a rep. from Vizio and asked why, even with all of the different HDMIs, why my television was not showing that I owned a 4K HDR. He said, that my provider would have to have channels with more 4K content. So, hopefully Dish will add some Channels in the near future with 4K HDR capability.
They can't add what isn't available. The only way to get HDR, today, is streaming. None of the networks are 4K today.

The same thing happened with HD when it came out. And in the early 2000's sometime Mark Cuban was cofounder of a TV service that focused on HD, even creating their own content IIRC, because there wasn't any other content out there and/or networks showing it. 4k is even harder because of the amount of bandwidth required. So it'll probably be a while. Then you've got people investing in 8k TV's right now.....

The Human eye can't tell a difference between 4k and 8k. I can't really tell that much difference between HD and 4k right now. So if you buy an 8k tv right now , you are buying into the fantasy you are getting more pixels on your screen and thus a better picture, whether you can see it or not. It is just another gimmick to get the people to upgrade and spend more money on new tech.

The Human eye can't tell a difference between 4k and 8k. I can't really tell that much difference between HD and 4k right now. So if you buy an 8k tv right now , you are buying into the fantasy you are getting more pixels on your screen and thus a better picture, whether you can see it or not. It is just another gimmick to get the people to upgrade and spend more money on new tech.
If you are looking at an HD picture on 4K TV you are looking at an upscaled HD image to 4K. Your TV is doing that automatically. It does look close and you might not see any difference. I might agree about 8K except if you have a very, very large screen, something over 100". You get that big 8K could make some difference.

4K resolution isn't that much better than HD. You don't get 4K for resolution, you get it for the color and the HDR / isolated backlighting. That is where 4K shines, literally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts