Is EMT conduit stainless steel ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mikey11

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
canada
im putting a 2 inch mast up through my roof using electrical EMT/conduit pipe, im wondering if this is stainless steel or will it rust? if its going to rust i want to paint it black, i guess i should use tremclad?

EMT is galvanized steel (zinc plating). So it has some protection against rusting, paint won't hurt - but will not give much further protection than the zinc.
Bob

I've personally had better results with Rigid Conduit, over EMT . It is less likely to sway in the breeze ( more rigid, who could guess ) . A lot depends upon the dish size and the typical breezes it'll face.
:)

I agree with Brent. EMT is not rigid enough for anything larger than a 90cm dish. Use the galavanized heavy wall threaded pipe and you won't be sorry. Besides, you can tighten the dish mounting bolts nice and tight without the concern of crushing the pipe and possibly throwing the alignment off.

Ray

I agree with Brent. EMT is not rigid enough for anything larger than a 90cm dish. Use the galavanized heavy wall threaded pipe and you won't be sorry. Besides, you can tighten the dish mounting bolts nice and tight without the concern of crushing the pipe and possibly throwing the alignment off.

Ray

Where is the best place to find a pipe like this? I am thinking of installing a 10' mesh through my roof using a pipe/pole. Thanks.

Prices vary incredibly on the Rigid conduit. Here in Holland there was as much as a $45 a stick difference between Lowes, Home Depot , and Menard's . I paid $18 for 10 feet of 2" Rigid conduit.

EMT = Electrical Metallic Tubing. It is also known as thin-wall pipe. It is designed to bend easily. You want “schedule 40”, or for a BUD, “schedule 80”.

how do i tell the difference between these?

i just purchased a 10 foot 2 inch pipe i believe its EMT, it seems very sturdy, is the other kind sold in the electrical section? that is where i got this,

or are you talking about something like an iron sprinkler pipe which i would find in the plumbing section? (home depot)

For one thing, Rigid conduit is threaded at each end, with a coupling on one end. EMT is not . The stuff SHOULD be labeled at the store. Home Depot website shows 2" rigid at $36.xx . I've seen it higher, but I've bought it for less. Big box retailers might be best bet unless you have a metal scrap place in the area.
:)

Last edited:
how do i tell the difference between these?

i just purchased a 10 foot 2 inch pipe i believe its EMT, it seems very sturdy, is the other kind sold in the electrical section? that is where i got this,

or are you talking about something like an iron sprinkler pipe which i would find in the plumbing section? (home depot)

It only looks study because it is 2". When the wind gusts, it will bend. Yes, sprinkler pipe is better. I would stay away from the electrical section and go to plumbing. If the pipe is not thick enough for a thread, you do not want to put a dish greater than 1 meter on it.

Go to a plumbing wholesaler and ask for schedule 40 which is common and not too expensive. For my 12' BUD, I bought the heavier schedule 80 and intend to fill it with concrete for extra rigidness.

Go to a plumbing wholesaler and ask for schedule 40 which is common and not too expensive. For my 12' BUD, I bought the heavier schedule 80 and intend to fill it with concrete for extra rigidness.

Agreed, but here in the boonies schedule 40 and 80 are expensive. I went to the salvage yard and got 1/2" wall thickness hydraulic piston stock, chrome plated, for 1/3 the cost of schedule 40 at the local plumbing shops. A plumbing wholesaler nearby would have been nice.

thanks for all the help,

so basically from what im understanding your talking about the kind of pipe that is used for commercial sprinker systems? it is threaded on both ends from what i remember, and ive seen it in the plumbing section at home depot

rigid aluminum conduit

I would not advise trying aluminum rigid conduit....it's too easily bent being made of 5052 or 4043 soft alloy. You'd be wondering why the azimuth/elevation kept changing after wind storms.:rolleyes:

Even 2 inch aluminum conduit can be bent easily. And 2 inch rigid steel conduit has a thinner wall so it can be bent.

Best thing is to go with the old standby - 2 inch black pipe. Paint is cheap enough & if you check out industrial metal suppliers in your area you might even find a remnant piece the length you want for your project. Commercial plumbing supplies are another option. But I'd stick with steel schedule 40 pipe or black iron gas pipe.
Galvanized plumbing pipe has sand inclusions in the metal making it weaker.:)

......I would not advise trying aluminum rigid conduit....it's too easily bent being made of 5052 or 4043 soft alloy.......:

Bad info. Don't know where you got your info, but my spec. book shows 6061-T6 alloy, which will work in most instances as a substitute for carbon steel pipe in the diameters needed to fit mounting brackets on small sat. dishes and affords corrosion resistance.

caddata, I disagree with your spec book sir.
We're both talking generalities of aluminum alloy electrical conduit, & perhaps the larger size conduits are 6061, but the older alloy for conduit were softer than T-6. I know this from experience as a maintenance mechanic/electrician.

Mike11, stainless tubing is readily available also(I buy from Patton's Steel ). I thought you were trying to keep costs down.

Last edited:
Mike11, stainless tubing is readily available also(I buy from Patton's Steel ). I thought you were trying to keep costs down.

i dont really care what it costs, i want something strong, i thought EMT conduit would be fine but im being told no, i saw somebody on this site "grumpyguy" do a similar instalation and i assumed from his pics he was using 2 inch EMT

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)