Is HD what you thought it would be ?

My receiver (ViP 612) is set to 1080i. I know that it looks how it is supposed to look, I was just less than impressed with it because it is only a little better than what I had with Charter cable. Blu-Ray/PC games/OTA HD in 1080i/p look absolutely stunning though (this includes my locals with Dish Network, those look great, much better than the cable/premiums in HD on Dish). I haven't been able to see DirecTV or Verizon FIOS, however. How do those two fare in regards to HD quality?

Taking a day off in July to evaluate HD is not really the best time of year to do this. It almost is an injustice to the programming. The best time of year and I get all excited now just thinking about it is the fall when college football starts. Nothing is more exciting and makes you go WOW like switching from SD to HD college football games. NFL games are good, but then Dish doesn't have the NFL package. Whatever, I like college ball best. Other things look good in HD; movies, FoodTV, primetime series, but sports is where HD shines.

When I bought a 52" Sony Bravia XBR4 HDTV monitor all the limits and problems with SD were suddenly brought into very sharp focus. Lots of pixel jaggies, mosquito noise were much more noticeable than they were on the old CRT. Native HD programming received via my rooftop antenna looked a lot better. The quality difference in Blu-ray (on my 80GB SACD capable PS3) was even more extreme. I put up with my old AT200 subscription from Dish Network for about 3 months. Then I signed up for HD Absolute.

It's a shame that Dish doesn't have a native passthrough mode. My Sony XBR has a bunch of adjustments to massage 480i SD video into something watchable, but my 722k will only let me set a fixed output resolution and my Sony's impressive SD video processing sits unused.

It's a shame that Dish doesn't have a native passthrough mode. My Sony XBR has a bunch of adjustments to massage 480i SD video into something watchable, but my 722k will only let me set a fixed output resolution and my Sony's impressive SD video processing sits unused.

I agree. I have a 60" Sony Bravia A3000 w/ powerful upconversion software that is moot without a native passthrough option on the dish receiver. I hope dish can provide that someday, preferrably via a software update.

I think I understand what is being said here. A good SD signal "NTSC" is a great signal compaired to todays HD signals. Back in the day when AT&T and RCA provided actual standards when they broadcasted signals the PQ was great. Now you have networks trying to save money by using IP and other high compression methods of transport. As a member of the standards bodies I find it upsetting that we can't even get the bodies to agree how to encode and transport HD standards. Unlike the old days when quality was the drive today its cost.

Bring back Bell Labs and RCA please!

Thanks Whatchel and there is a setting its set 1080 but thanks all for tring/ replyes

J8, in another thread you mentioned that you got a 722 authorized with no HD.

Just to confirm, you do subscribe to the HD package now? If not, that would explain a lot.

j8.
user_online.gif

SatelliteGuys Regular

go to higher department , they let me get 1 with no hd

This is really not a Dishnetwork issue but the programmers issue.But I was wondering how many people would go back to Standard definition programming (with a Good SD Tv).

When I signed up for HD programming and Bought into all the Hype about HD TVs and decided to purchase an HD set.I honestly thought that once I subscribed To HD channels every program would be in HD or at least upconverted to HD.Dont get me wrong programs and Movies that were filmed for HD are great on the HD sets.But most of the programming ,even on Supposedly HD channels are not in HD,I find myself constanly changing the ratio to get a decent picture,personally I find that annoying and prefer to turn on TV and not be doing that.
I was home for the day this last Tuesday(playing sick from work)and chose to spend the day relaxing watching TV,even though I have the Classic 250 package with HD and Platinum .I could hardly find any auctuall HD programming on any of the HD channels except for HD net ,MGM and HD Movies(most of that programming is a continous loop of the same thing),and maybe some programming on Discovery,and science network,but alot of that is repeats also.
I have an older SD TV and for the most part enjoy watching most of my TV on that set.basically if I knew before giving in to all this HD hype what know now about HDTV programming I honestly would have waited because most programming looks better on my SD set unless its auctually filmed for HD.
Just interested in seeing how many other feel this way.Dont get me wrong I love my HD set but for the most part and most of the programming is in SD so you get a shrunken picture unless you stretch it out and that looks weird.Honestly if I was in the market now for an HDTV and knew exactly how it works,I would have certainly waited for more HD programming to make it worth changing everything over.Just my opinion.Can anyone recommend a decent HDTV that has good SD Picture .

Just my two cents...

It took me ahwile to get used to the 4:3 versus 16:9 picture sources. I wanted everything to be 16:9. I guess thats because I was used to watching full screen 4:3 for so long. Now it doesn't really bother me. I set everything to 16:9 and watch the 4:3 with bars. Sometimes I might stretch, but most often not.

As for the TV that supports SD, I don't really know. I did buy a Visio (1080p) and the SD looked like crap so I returned it and bought an HP (720). My theory was that the SD signal didn't have to fill so much of the resoultion. Sort of like when you blow up a low res picture. The HP is a 32" so I put it in my bedroom. Later I bought a Samsung 67" 1080p for the family room and it looks great. The SD is so so, but I really only watch "HD" out there so it doesn't matter.

Only thing that really bothers me nowadays is the 4:3 "HD" channels. (nickelodeon). What's the point? :) Just stretch it and get it over with. :D Maybe they are trying to support all of those 4:3 HD Tvs. :p

I don't know about the 65F59, but on my 57F59 Hitachi there is a definite and very big difference between HD and SD.

The CRT is the VERY best way to display HD, because it, being an analog animal can and does show more nuances of color and contrast.

My 57F59 has one of the best HD pictures I've ever seen on a display that has not been professionally calibrated.

They did not stop making these RP-CRT's because the picture was inferior, they stopped making them because people did not care the picture was SUPERIOR, they wanted to hang the damn thing on the wall.

PREDICTION:

Give these digital sets 5 years or so and when these $1500-$2000 white elephants start dieing, the RP-CRT will emerge as the most practical "NEW" technology for HD display.

Yes, you got it right. Native Passthrough, one of the few things that Tivo Series 3 has that Dish should, as an option. The SD from the Tivo Series 3 does look better on native passthrouhg letting my HDTV handle things. Not that Dish output is horrible, but nice to let 720P and 1080i passthrough and let my Sony Z work its magic rather than the additional step of upconversion--and degradation, however slight--by Dish STB.

I think I understand what is being said here. A good SD signal "NTSC" is a great signal compaired to todays HD signals. Back in the day when AT&T and RCA provided actual standards when they broadcasted signals the PQ was great. Now you have networks trying to save money by using IP and other high compression methods of transport. As a member of the standards bodies I find it upsetting that we can't even get the bodies to agree how to encode and transport HD standards. Unlike the old days when quality was the drive today its cost.

Bring back Bell Labs and RCA please!

Yes, and the US adopting ATSC rather than DVB-T? Love you thoughts on that one.

J8, in another thread you mentioned that you got a 722 authorized with no HD.

Just to confirm, you do subscribe to the HD package now? If not, that would explain a lot.

j8.
user_online.gif

SatelliteGuys Regular

go to higher department , they let me get 1 with no hd

i have the americas all package there ia still some hd on 110, also in past they gave me . 1 day free to try hd, i had a 811, and 921 then.. Yes i have a 722k and no hd package

Jim5506 said:
Give these digital sets 5 years or so and when these $1500-$2000 white elephants start dieing, the RP-CRT will emerge as the most practical "NEW" technology for HD display.

I agree CRT-based monitors are more reliable and accurate in displaying color than flat panel LCD-based or plasma-based monitors. I use a pair of 19" CRT monitors for doing computer graphics work.

However, CRT and RPTV monitors are pretty much dead as a consumer electronics item. They won't be coming back in style either due to their heavy, bulky nature. If LCD and Plasma technology is to be replaced by anything the replacement will be another technology that works in a flat panel form factor, such as OLED.

This is a pretty big stumbling block for movie studios pushing to get full color 3D movies onto Blu-ray Disc. The traditional polarized glasses method for full color 3D will only work with certain front projector and RPTV setups. New systems in development must work with flat panel TV sets. So that's going to mean something along the lines of computer controlled LCD-filled "shutter glasses" that work in sync with the Blu-ray player and flat panel HDTV set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)