Is HD what you thought it would be ?

Thd easiest way to see the difference, is to find a sports game that is in HD. Football or basketball are great choices. Choose a game then switch back and forth between them on the Dish HD channel and the Dish SD channel. Use the last channel button to switch back and forth. If you can't see a great difference then there is something wrong with your setup.

Watching live sports in HD on a good HDTV versus watching it in SD on a good SDTV (e.g., Sony Trinitron) is like night and day. I could never go back to SD resolution for college and pro football games or basketball games or pro tennis.

Now that most of our Dish Starz and Cinemax movie channels are in HD, we have rediscovered many movies we had watched before. HD rocks!

If we can ever get the minor cable channels to be done with Mash reruns, then we might all begin the final push to all HD or at least to all digital quality source material for SD.

Thd easiest way to see the difference, is to find a sports game that is in HD. Football or basketball are great choices. Choose a game then switch back and forth between them on the Dish HD channel and the Dish SD channel. Use the last channel button to switch back and forth. If you can't see a great difference then there is something wrong with your setup.

The PIP swap button switches much faster (between two tuners) than the recall button which has to tune in the last channel on the same tuner. Also, many HD channels have poor picture quality in general. ESPN is a good example. Their HD channel is an improvement over SD, but can't hold a candle to HDNET. Last year HDNET had MLS and NHL contracts and their coverage and picture quality was amazing. I am always underwhelmed when watching ESPN, which always looks like upconverted SD.

To get an exciting HD picture, you need a good HDTV that is set up and connected properly to your sat receiver and AV gear, all of which need to be set up properly. For instance, if everything else is set and connected properly, but your sat receiver is sending out a 480p signal, your HD channels will look similar to your SD ones.

There are so many HD channels that still have very little HD content, and several more that have a poor picture quality overall.

What type of HITACHI 65?

I have, 65 inch Hatachi set to 1080 and 722k also use have used 811, 942, 921 never saw big deffrence other than sports.. brother has 622, and hatachi his im not sure on size ill guess 42-50 and same thing
This must be the discontinued 65F59. It is a rear projection crt model. They no longer build or support those. You wouldn't see a super big difference on those. That is one of the major reasons they no longer build that style of set. The mirror inside will darken with age just from picking up matter from the air. The screen itself isn't they greatest thing that came out either but was pretty good for something that came out almost 4 yrs ago. Not saying it wasn't pretty good when it was designed around 2004 but just doesn't match up to the LCD's, Plasmas, & LED's sets of today. Fact is H builds only LCD, Plasmas now, the largest is 50". 3-9" CRT's just can't output enough brightness or contrast to compete with anything that is out now. The scalers in the set just don't have the quality that can produce a very hi contrast hi output that HDTV signal can now produce. So I understand why you've never seen that great of a difference.

Even on older HD sets, the difference between HD and SD should be obvious to anyone who watches it. If not, then something else is wrong, and it is not the age of the TV. For that matter, the difference in HD and SD is easy to spot even on a cheap set, at least any I have seen.

I would look at how it is hooked up, check the cables, double check the output on the box, ect.

HDMI

Even on older HD sets, the difference between HD and SD should be obvious to anyone who watches it. If not, then something else is wrong, and it is not the age of the TV. For that matter, the difference in HD and SD is easy to spot even on a cheap set, at least any I have seen.

I would look at how it is hooked up, check the cables, double check the output on the box, ect.
He has said that he is using HDMI. I can't find the user manual for it anymore on line so don't know if there is a setting that is in them menus to switch it for the correct resolution or not. It is possible that it is set to only work on 480i & 480p (EDTV). It may not auto sense the 720 or 1080 and switch from SD & ED. My old HD CRT (32" Panny) would only work on 1080 for HD so my VIP had to do the conversion for 720p. This set states that it does work on both 480's, 720p & 1080i but it is possible that it needs to have it set for HD. He has also said something about his brother has some kind of 42 to 50 inch set but didn't seem to know anything about it. He also says he bro doesn't see that much diff but that is something that is coming from him and not from his bro. I'm just trying to point out that it may be the equipment & not the person that is causing the possible problem.

well jerry i posted that with sports u can see, buy im not into sports nether is wife , no biggey with movies so not worth etra cash here, but thanks for reply..

This must be the discontinued 65F59. It is a rear projection crt model. They no longer build or support those. You wouldn't see a super big difference on those. That is one of the major reasons they no longer build that style of set. The mirror inside will darken with age just from picking up matter from the air. The screen itself isn't they greatest thing that came out either but was pretty good for something that came out almost 4 yrs ago. Not saying it wasn't pretty good when it was designed around 2004 but just doesn't match up to the LCD's, Plasmas, & LED's sets of today. Fact is H builds only LCD, Plasmas now, the largest is 50". 3-9" CRT's just can't output enough brightness or contrast to compete with anything that is out now. The scalers in the set just don't have the quality that can produce a very hi contrast hi output that HDTV signal can now produce. So I understand why you've never seen that great of a difference.
i forget model but yes, it was about 4yrs ago, even 1 time i had a proplem with sound on tv while under warrenty repair man put better sound card and pic card said it was more up2date and beter quality... My brother got same tv from best buy about 1 and half yrs ago same tv but smaller he has same opion.. I love this tv picture real nice just from reg sat chanels..

again in sports only big deffrence, Its hoked up right im positive , even dish tech said was right, even cked with hatachi heck i use to make deliverys for circut city did hook ups for thrm few yrs back

He has said that he is using HDMI. I can't find the user manual for it anymore on line so don't know if there is a setting that is in them menus to switch it for the correct resolution or not. It is possible that it is set to only work on 480i & 480p (EDTV). It may not auto sense the 720 or 1080 and switch from SD & ED. My old HD CRT (32" Panny) would only work on 1080 for HD so my VIP had to do the conversion for 720p. This set states that it does work on both 480's, 720p & 1080i but it is possible that it needs to have it set for HD. He has also said something about his brother has some kind of 42 to 50 inch set but didn't seem to know anything about it. He also says he bro doesn't see that much diff but that is something that is coming from him and not from his bro. I'm just trying to point out that it may be the equipment & not the person that is causing the possible problem.
Thanks Whatchel and there is a setting its set 1080 but thanks all for tring/ replyes

well jerry i posted that with sports u can see, buy im not into sports nether is wife , no biggey with movies so not worth etra cash here, but thanks for reply..

I am not a big sports fan either, but it gives you a great comaparison between the two that still should be obvious on most movies that can be viewed in SD and HD. Try the PIP comparison suggested above.

again in sports only big deffrence, Its hoked up right im positive , even dish tech said was right, even cked with hatachi heck i use to make deliverys for circut city did hook ups for thrm few yrs back

If sports is only where you see it I have to question that. Something is wrong somewhere. I am not sure why you only see it with sports, but something is not set up right if you can not see the difference in HD and SD in movies, and news, ect.

The difference should be obvious, not trying to get on your case, I just have not heard that before.

Could be something as simple as the * button on the remote. As I have blogged on before, some people instinctively hit * whenever they see something with black bars on the sides, and watch a blurry stretched picture from then on not realizing anything is wrong.

As for me, the original question, "is HD what you thought it would be," while I had the VoOm channels my answer was an emphatic yes, now, occasional good finds amongst a sea of disappointment, just like TV has always been.

Andy, you are looking at HD in the opposite way from me.

I want to see Lost and the NBA and House and 24 and True Blood and movies in HD.

The rest of the time, when it is HD, it's great, otherwise no big deal.

So, for me, the point is seeing my favorite shows and sports and movies in HD, not to see HD when I randomly turn on the TV...

Finally, HD is only as good as your TV. My Sharp Aquos and Sony Z series show great detail and greatly enhance the HD watching experience with , yes, a "WOW" factor. Meanwhile my aunt's Sony S series (entry level), also using Dish Network, just doesn't do the job. Her HD is quite flat, lacking in detail, and just a let down, no "WOW" factor, and I have tried, but the old S series just doesn't have the electronics to really do some justice to the HD. I can see every crinkle and wrinkle of a face on my Sharp Aquos tuned to a Dish HD channel to the point that it is scary, but not on my aunt's Sony S series.
My experiance is the opposite when it comes to the TV quality. My new Samsung show how bad the HD is being compressed from Dish Network. Whereas my 5 year old EDTV shows the HD channels really crisp. OTA or when I use to have cable HD this was not the case. I wonder what someone with a new OLED TV on this forum thinks about satellite HD.

To the OP, look at it this way. You already made the jump to HD equipment so your set. Unless you have to have the newest stuff every year, then I could see why you (anyone) would be upset to have spent the money to convert early.

It took me a few months to get use to satellite HD and from what I see Dish Network SD is really bad. So I'm sold on HD.

I have Dish, a Tivo THX certified Series 3 and a direct connection OTA connections to the same TV, and there is almost no difference between the Los Angeles LIL's via satellite and OTA via Dish OTA, Tivo OTA, and the direct OTA connection to the TV. Yes, the direct connection does seem the most bright and crisp at times, but also has the most artifacts visible than the Dish sat feed or Tivo. And History (depending on the show--Monster Quest and UFO Hunters are VERY crisp and show a lot of detail, they are well shot) can be extremely good.

The Dish OTA and LIL sat for LA is just a the most minute softer, but is superior over all as it does not suffer from the artifacts in fast motion as the direct OTA does, but yet is still quite crisp. The Tivo Series 3 THX has the most aesthetic PQ of all, better than the direct OTA, again. The compromise of the Tivo and Dish boxes compared to the direct OTA is extremely small, in fact, the bottom lineis that I find it no compromise worth any concern, it is that good. Sorry, but Tivo and Dish, especially the 722K, do an excellent job with PQ even when compared to the direct OTA. Remember, we are not comparing any of this to Blu-ray, which will make the viewer aware of the compression used by both cable and sat HD, and also makes OTA look inadequate.

I know that many others in other DMA's have complained about the huge difference in PQ between Dish sat LIL and direct connections OTA. However, Los Angeles HD LIL sat is impressive, and I suspect we are getting better PQ for our HD LIL's than many other DMA's only because the metro area so huge and LA metro area is the market that has the among the highest penetrations of satellite. In other words, this keeps Dish's phone lines from being clogged with thousands of irate LA DMA subs complaining about the LIL PQ. Even the SD LIL's were better PQ than many other DMA's. The Los Angeles HD LIL's are gorgeous as provided by Dish on satellite. I am impressed, so far, that they are providing it at such high quality, for now:)?

What series Samsung do you have? Are you sitting only a few feet away from the TV? In my rooms, I am sitting at the recommended distance (not too far) from the TV and get excellent PQ. The Dish SD's look terrible, but not the HD's. Some TV's are going to do a better job of taking the HD they are given and displaying better than another HDTV. Hence, the flat, lacking detail, but bright and pleasant PQ of the old Sony "S" series, and the superior high detail of the Sharp Aquos (really looks good when shot well and not zoomed out to provide for 4X3 screens) and the blow-away "WOW" factor of the Sony "Z" series. HD, to a high degree, is really only as good as the electronics in your HDTV.

Last edited:
If sports is only where you see it I have to question that. Something is wrong somewhere. I am not sure why you only see it with sports, but something is not set up right if you can not see the difference in HD and SD in movies, and news, ect.

The difference should be obvious, not trying to get on your case, I just have not heard that before.
Hi msmith, and jerry. no your not on my case i actaly aprciate the replys here, thank you all. Anyways i did have in pic mode agian only sports for us is big defrence wife said same thing , but thanks anyways

I am OK with the HD we get but it's been a bit over a year since those fantastic looking Voom channels went away and I still very much miss them.

I hope some of them like MonstersHD and RaveHD get resurrected some day. Watching Flipper on FamilyRoomHD was very cool as well.

Were are we with the whole Rainbow Media suff these days anyway? It won't be until this is all settled in court that we see IFC, AMC, and We in HD. Or maybe we won't see these channels anymore in SD when contracts run out.

You people that did not get to see Voom really missed out. Now that was great!!

HD has spoiled me rotten!!! I very rarely watch anything that is not in hd. It has gotten so bad that I will watch a program JUST because it is in hd. So yes I am happy with hd except that it has turned me into a hd snob!!

It's good, but I was less than impressed that it was only slightly better than Cable HD. 9 times out of 10 the HD content looks like a well mastered DVD being upscaled. The other 10% of the content looks better, but it is still well behind true HD content, which is very disappointing.

My own 2¢ on the topic: I'm very spoiled to HD quality and will never go back to a SD-only programming subscription. That's not to say all the HD programming is "perfect." Some channels and/or TV shows can be badly compressed and overall the quality is inferior to Blu-ray. But it sure beats the crud out of SD.

SD was tolerable when my main TV was a 32" RCA CRT. The limited pixel count of SD and the compression artifacts weren't all that noticeable since the CRT would sort of blur out most those problems (except for really bad macro-blocking and stuff like that).

When I bought a 52" Sony Bravia XBR4 HDTV monitor all the limits and problems with SD were suddenly brought into very sharp focus. Lots of pixel jaggies, mosquito noise were much more noticeable than they were on the old CRT. Native HD programming received via my rooftop antenna looked a lot better. The quality difference in Blu-ray (on my 80GB SACD capable PS3) was even more extreme. I put up with my old AT200 subscription from Dish Network for about 3 months. Then I signed up for HD Absolute.

I can watch certain SD produced shows (like The Daily Show on Comedy Central) where the video is sort of upconverted yet maintaining its 4:3 aspect ratio. I absolutely cannot tolerate watching any SD material shown in "stretch-o-vision." Most of the time I'm watching shows produced in HD or movies mastered down to HD.

Regarding complaints about not enough HD content on certain channels, it's obvious more than a few HD customers are too young to remember the transition from black and white to color TV programming. I think a lot of people need to be a little more patient. The native HD content will come.

During the mid 1960s most TV shows were produced in black and white with only a few being presented "in living color." By the mid 1970s most new shows were being broadcast in color, but there was still a lot of black and white programming on TV. By the early 1980s only old TV shows in syndication and classic movies were being shown in their original black and white.

At least another couple or so years will have to pass before 100% of new network programs are produced in HD. Older TV shows shot on film can be remastered in HD if they didn't have to use a bunch of SD quality visual effects.

It may take even longer, perhaps another 5 years or more, before most local TV stations produce local news, local commercials and other local programs in HD. Right now only local TV stations in the largest markets are embracing HD production.

Finally, for those who are unimpressed with HD quality: check your equipment setup. A couple of my friends had the same problem, but it turned out their receivers were only outputting 480p. I saw this same issue when 5.1 surround sound was growing more popular with DVD. Some people had their DVD players merely outputting 2 channel Dolby Surround. Lots of home theater equipment rarely ever comes out of the box set up to work like it should. You have to get in there and fiddle with certain settings to get the most out of a new HDTV, Blu-ray player or HD-capable Dish Network receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)