Status
Please reply by conversation.

acuevas

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Orange County
Hey All,

I picked up a Coolsat 6000 today at the Goodwill store. It says 6000 on the front cover and does not seem to have ever been open. Works fine and all but when I went into the "system screen" it says that it is a Coolsat 5000. Like I said works fien and all, but just wondering why? :confused:

Maybe somebody put the wrong firmware on it?
I -think- the only real difference was more memory on the 6000 (and cosmetic)
If you want to load the proper firmware for it, try this third party (non-hack) firmware, which has some of the original bugs repaired:
FTAFirmware for Coolsat
Congratulations on your find (how much was it?)

Maybe somebody put the wrong firmware on it?
I -think- the only real difference was more memory on the 6000 (and cosmetic)
If you want to load the proper firmware for it, try this third party (non-hack) firmware, which has some of the original bugs repaired:
FTAFirmware for Coolsat
Congratulations on your find (how much was it?)

Anole,

I am quite certain that this would not be possible (loading the 5000 firmware into a 6000 receiver or vice versa). It will give you an error and will not proceed to download to the STB. I cannot recall what the error message is, but it is something along the lines of "incompatible model detected".

My guess would be that someone has swapped the guts from a 5K into the chassis of a 6K. This I believe can be done for the main board and the power supply. I don't think the FPD can be swapped because of the layout design, but I am not certain of that.

Acuevas,

You will know what is really in there if you try to load the firmware for both models. One will load and the other will not. No damage will be done, since it won't allow you to execute the download of the incorrect firmware. You can identify the chassis of the 6K by the round "submarine porthole" surrounding the front panel display, whereas the FPD on the 5K is rectangular. The 6K looks just like the 4K model.

RADAR

It is just a naming error on the last hack f/w for CS 6000, don't worry about it, should work fine.

AcWxRadar is correct, you cannot load a CS 5000 f/w on to a CS 6000, it won't allow you to! It is pretty idiot proof that way, LOL.

Thanks All,

I downloaded the factory firmware for the 6K and it downloaded just fine. Now the "system screen" says 'Model: Coolsat 6000 Premium'. The unit cost me $4.99 but did not come with remote so I'm using an extra Coolsat 4000 remote that I had handy. ( They have a CaptiveWorks 6000 available too, a bit more expensive and no remote, I bought the 6K since I had a remote I could use. )

I thought to use it as my primary unit and use the 4K as the testing unit. Interesting though the 4K seems to give a better image than does the 6K. The image on the tv screen with the 4K seems more 'rich and livelier' in color. If all the 6K has is more memory and the 4K works just fine I think I'll keep the 4K as the primary unit - pending a few issues that need working out. Too bad the 6K does not do digital OTA.

Attachments

• DSC03996.JPG
    DSC03996.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Thanks All,

I downloaded the factory firmware for the 6K and it downloaded just fine. Now the "system screen" says 'Model: Coolsat 6000 Premium'. The unit cost me $4.99 but did not come with remote so I'm using an extra Coolsat 4000 remote that I had handy. ( They have a CaptiveWorks 6000 available too, a bit more expensive and no remote, I bought the 6K since I had a remote I could use. )

I thought to use it as my primary unit and use the 4K as the testing unit. Interesting though the 4K seems to give a better image than does the 6K. The image on the tv screen with the 4K seems more 'rich and livelier' in color. If all the 6K has is more memory and the 4K works just fine I think I'll keep the 4K as the primary unit - pending a few issues that need working out. Too bad the 6K does not do digital OTA.

That's cool Acuevas!

You will like the CS 6K very much. Don't forget the FTA software site that Anole posted/linked in his reply. I am using the version 006 for my CS 5K and am very happy with it (more advanced than the straight factory firmware).

Interesting that you mention the CW 6000. I have CW 800S, but it is in the closet right now. I bought it because it was supposed to link up with World Of Sats software (via my PC) and load or update the satellite and TP lists (and channels), but it never seemed to work very well for me.

Currently, my most used receivers are the Coolsat 5K, the AZBox Premium and the Fortec Star Dynamic.

The Coolsat 5K is my most reliable and friendly STB. It doesn't do everything, but it is dependable and loyal to me.

If they (Coolsat) would come out with a version that is identical in operation as the 5K and 6K and yet perform PVR functions and process all the HD and 4.2.2 stuff, I would be in 7th Heaven! I wouldn't even look at another STB!

RADAR

It is just a naming error on the last hack f/w for CS 6000, don't worry about it, should work fine.

AcWxRadar is correct, you cannot load a CS 5000 f/w on to a CS 6000, it won't allow you to! It is pretty idiot proof that way, LOL.

That explains the incorrect display of the model in the system info menu. I hadn't thought of that as a possibility. Good call!

RADAR

That's cool Acuevas!

The Coolsat 5K is my most reliable and friendly STB. It doesn't do everything, but it is dependable and loyal to me.

RADAR

Yeah, I agree. Coolsat is all I know and has been a good receiver for me. Thanks to all of you for your good info and feedback.

Here's a thread that discusses these "2007 version" units. Judge for yourself.

I purchased two new "2007 version" receivers from the eBay seller. They look perfect. The box, packaging, accessories, internal baggies and everything else looked great. My opinion is these receivers are not as good as my used eBay Coolsat 5000s.

One of the "2007" 6000s is not as sensitive as my 5000s, but the channel display on the front flakes out. Some of the LED segments don't work. It worked OK for about an hour. Then no soap.

The other "2007" version 6000 has a good LED display, but it doesn't perform as well as the other 6000, or my other 5000s.

I got two bad ones... I would rather have paid the same price for two used Coolsat 5000s.

My experience has no bearing on yours. If it works OK and you are happy with it, that's the bottom line.

Last edited:
Here's a thread that discusses these "2007 version" units. Judge for yourself.

The other "2007" version 6000 has a good LED display, but it doesn't perform as well as the other 6000, or my other 5000s.

My experience has no bearing on yours. If it works OK and you are happy with it, that's the bottom line.

Thanks guapoharry,

I appreciate your experience actually. I am somewhat new to all this and the more I know the better.

I also mentioned a few posts back that I had noticed that this 'new' 6000 does not display as good an image as my 4000 connected to the same TV. Maybe a little adjustment on the tv is all that it would take, so I don't know I got a inferior receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts