Is It Best To Blindscan C and K/U Band Satellites Together Or Separate

Status
Please reply by conversation.

avenger

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Slidell, Louisiana
What is most common way of scanning C and K/U band satellite, scanned together on a single scan, is there a different in quantity of channels scanned if done one way or the other.

What would be the best way of doing this. All together or one band at a time.

Thank You.

I've always scanned them separately, and for the sats that have both c and ku sides, I just create new satellite entries in the receiver's list and name them as ???-Ku or ???-C. Since mine are coming off separate dishes that makes the most sense to me.

Since the L.O. frequency for C-Band is different from Ku-Band, I don't think there's any other way to do it besides creating separate satellites and scanning separately.

Since the L.O. frequency for C-Band is different from Ku-Band, I don't think there's any other way to do it besides creating separate satellites and scanning separately.

That's what I was thinking also as I have mine setup listed as either C or Ku because of the LO settings. My receivers don't allow me to have dual LO settings for the same satellite so C and Ku have to be separate. On the AZBox I have the locations with slightly different numbers too, ie, 101 for C band and 101.1 for Ku as I'm not sure but I don't think the AZ will let you name two with the same location number since you can sort them by frequency.

The AZBoxes that I have will only scan one satellite at a time then you have to manually move it to the next one you want to scan but the Openbox S9 that I have will scan the entire arc, which I've only done once since I got it since it takes a while for that process. I'll probably do it again some time in the future to clean out the old feeds info that's not being used any more.

I don't think there is an advantage one way or the other. I can do both at the same time on my computer setup and do it that way, but the AZBox can't so it is a seperate list for each band.

The Manhattan RS-1933 receiver allows dual LO settings (5150 \ 10750 ) I have been running it this way for a few months doing testing. I actually prefer to have separate C and Ku satellite locations set up and stored. It takes up more stored locations but you get a more precise aim if you store each one separate.

Don't think it would matter if your receiver will allow it, but I prefer separate.

The receiver that I am using is a Viewsat Ultra, well yesterday after the thread conserning the three new channels found at 103W, I decided to blindscan it using both bands at one time. I do not know what new satellites were added, but was able to obtain about five new ion channels, plus MEtv1, Metv2, and THIStv (the last three mentioned are all pixelated), but all of the ION are prety clear. Might have to do some more tweeking on the dish.

Somehow this was not possible when doing the C and K/U blindscan separately on this particular satellite. That was part of the reason why I started this thread. Go figure.

Thank You for all the replies. I am still learning this FTA hobby by leaps and bound.

Thanks again.

PS I did scanned as: AMC1/C 102.9W
LNB type Standard
LNB Freq. 5150
22KHz Off
TP Freq 3740
DiSEqC None
Motor Off (Using G-Box as standalone positioner)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts