Is it just me or has DirecTv SD picture quality imporoved?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kbohip

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
Colorado Springs
When I first got Directv a couple months ago I thought the picture was a little grainy, more so than when I had Dish. I have a 57" TV so I can really notice the compression and artifacts. After about a month the PQ seemed to improve quite a bit, especially on certain channels. Does anyone know if anything was changed by DirecTv to affect PQ? The PQ is so good now I'm not as anxious to get HD anymore.

This happened because they lowered the compression on the channels you watch most.

NFL Network used to be MAJORLY compressed when it was first added... they have lowered the compression on it and upped it on alot of the Fox Sports channels etc..

Using no real scientific method I just scanned all my cable channels then sat channels from 200 - 325. Many channels looked as bad as cable but many were improved dramatically.

This is must related to as alverx was posting the alleged new harmonic decoders (don't ask me, I don't know) and there MUST be signals coming from DirecTV 8. My TV upconverts all content to 1080i, but there were some eye-popping SD channels as well.

The is improvement in the making for sure ... perhaps I am closer to TC Premiere than I though.

So from me, you get a yes. Yes, the SD quality is improving on some channels. I also did a transponder scan but it has been sooooo long, I do not remember even about where the old values were other than all above 86

I've noticed that fx channel looks a lot better that it had before, almost as clear for me as some dvds

Locals are never a good test of PQ because the DBS company doesn't have 100% control over the method or the quality of the signals the affiliates send them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)