Is it necessary to use dc blocks when feeding two recievers off of one dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

drhydro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Do i really need to use dc blocks when feeding muliple recievers off of one dish? I have 3 recievers that are going to be hooked to a total of 6 dishs. I know i am going to be running into a problem where sometimes a LNB wont be powered with my current setup because the receiver looking at it has a dc block installed. What is the best way around this?

If there is more than one receiver off of a port of a LNB, then it is suggested to use a DC block. Will it work without one? Yes. Just that one receiver when on will always overpower the others. I’ve run receivers off one port with no DC blocks with no issues.

You really need some multiswitches DrHydro. It allows you to hook more than 2 recievers to a dual output LNB. Then no need for DC blocks or worrying about blowing up something : )

Can I use dp34 switches for this application? If not what do you recommend?

Dish Notwork DP34's won't work because thats stacked frequencies. You need a DirecTv 3x4 multiswitch to split the dual output to up to 4 receivers ;)

AHAA,
I think I found the solution here, can someone confirm this will work?
http://sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/Multi-LNBF/4-receiver-8-lnbfs.htm

The only thing that puzzles me is in the item description for the 4x4 switch it says it will do 2 sats to 4 recievers-
"Channel Master Multi-switch Model SAM4402 is designed to distribute 2 polarizations (usually RHCP and LHCP or V/H) from 2 satellites to up to 4 IRDs. Polarization selection is by 13V/18V LNB voltage switching. Satellite selection is by a 22KHz tone on the LNB voltage which is present when the second satellite is required."

If this will work I am psyched, since I already have the diseqc switches, all I need to pick up is the 4x4 multi switch.

Doc
In a normal world, the 4x4 multiswitch is used to connect 2 dual LNB’s to 4 receivers. One is set to 22k on, one is set to 22k off. I use one of these to put recevers on a Invacom quad (both lnies of the L go to 0k side, the C side goes to 22k)

The item you showed is “big pimpin” in the way as each LNB is split to 2 diseqc switches (one for H one for V) and that is run into a 22k switch. Make sure the LNB’s are hooked up the SAME to the Diseqc ports (as an example, first LNB would be port 1 on both diseqc switches)

So in the picture, setup would be as such
1st LNB is 22k off port 1 on diseqc
2nd LNB is 22k off port 2
Etc

5th LNB is port 1 22k on
6th LNB is port 2 22k on
Etc

Then each receiver, no matter what LNB/channel it picks it will work.

That looks pretty damn cool if you ask me. I might have to try that :D

drhydro said:
Unfortunetely not, the c-band and linear ku bands are all singles :-(

uh oh...then it may work but if you have 2 receivers wanting opposite polarities then there is an issue.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, this could get interesting lol Now that i look closely i see all those lnb's are duals. dangit

Last edited:
DrHydro

I have a couple zinwell 4x4's and they work great! They're pretty tiny and are approved for DirecTV use (which FTA works the same)

The only thing with the 4x4 is the inputs are 13v, 18v, 13+22k, 18+22k. If you plug a switch into say 13v, you’ll ONLY get V polarity

As an example, I have a 4x4 switch

G10 single output run to 13v side
G4 C-Band run to 18v side
Both lines from 18” dish at Nimiq1 to the 13+22k & 18+22K

This runs 4 receivers…I can only see the H transponders on G4 and the vertical on G10. I can see both on Nimiq1.

When a receiver selects H polarity, the signal shoots up the 18v side to the C-Band dish. If I say V, it shoots up to the G10 dish.

Its kinda nice as I have 3 dishes to 4 receivers and only one switch :D

doc
what kind of LNB's are on each of the dishes?

I assume the 2 pizza dishes have duals and the c-band is single...what abouot the others?

the p* is the 1 output v, 1 output h. The 30" wingard is single output for g10, only using v right now. Both c bands are single output, with polarotors. I THINK i can still get away with using the 4x4 if I limit each single lnb to 1 polarity, set up as the following:

p* at amc3 - h polarity
30" at g10 - v polarity
6' fixed at amc4 - v polarity
2 18" dishs both polarities (dual outputs)
10' BUD c and ku -both polaritys switched/ and dish moved via my drake 1724

OK...here is how I would set it up (just my opinion)

4x4 multiswitch gets all 4 lines from the 2 18" dishes and run each output to a 4 way diseqc
if you have a 3x4 switch ( ;) ), hook G10 to 13v and amc3 to 18v. Run each output to port 2 of 4 way diseqc

the other 2 ports can be the 6 footer (since the polorotor will be stuck at V it will only work on that and port 4 can be a feed from the big C-bander

that won't work right...forgot to take into consideration the KU port on your C-Band setup

4x4 multiswitch gets all 4 lines from the 2 18" dishes and run each output to a 4 way diseqc
on another 4x4 switch, hook G10 to 13v and amc3 to 18v. Hook up the 6 foot C-Band to the 13v+22k side. The 18+22k can be used for something later on...Run each output to port 2 of 4 way diseqc

the other 2 ports can be for the C & Ku ouputs on your big C-Band setup

Tony,
That looks pretty interesting and might just be the ticket. If i eliminate one of my 18" dishes then that would allow me to go ahead and put a second feedhorn on the 6' dish and try to get two sats with one c band dish

Last edited:
Doc
Here is a really bad drawing...I only posted one DVB reciever...for the other 2, just repeat

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    27 KB · Views: 156
Tony,
I cant open the attachment on this computer, but I think I can visualize the layout, and it should work.

Once again, thanks for all the help,
Doc

here is a pic

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 189
That looks perfect Iceberg, "you da man". Once again, thanks for taking all this time to help me work this out. So if i am looking at this right, all I need is 4 disecq switchs and 2 4X4 switches. Awesome :-D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts