Is it normal for the Hopper to make noise?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

memo90061

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 26, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I didn't notice the Hopper making noise until the power went out. The Hopper said the hard drive was damaged or something. I wasn't able to view any of the recordings, and it said to unplug and I did. Everything started to work after resetting the receiver. I've noticed that the fan or hard drive make a lot of noise. It's not that loud, but it bothers me at night when everything is quiet. What can it be?

hoppers do have a cooling/exhaust fan in them but no they are not supposed to be making noise.

if you got a noisy fan or hard drive it means they are about to go kaput.

The Hopper is not a very noisy receiver but since it is a DVR it will make some noise. It has a fan for cooling and it has a hard drive in it, both of which will make noise.

If you think it's louder than normal and it was making clicking noises I would say you have a hard drive going bad. If you have recordings you don't want to lose I would get an EHD to transfer those shows soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)