Is it OK to LIE?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

billhdtv

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 8, 2004
Where I live I can not receive any local channels OTA, analog or digital that is watchable. Both E* and D* will not allow me NBC or FOX. I have a small cottage about 35 miles away and that address qualifies for all distant nets. I am thinking about telling a satellite provider that is where I have the service. I hate to lie but doggone it if I tell the truth I can't get HD nets via D*. Any advice will be kept secret. :cool:

Thanks

Bill G

billhdtv said:
Where I live I can not receive any local channels OTA, analog or digital that is watchable. Both E* and D* will not allow me NBC or FOX. I have a small cottage about 35 miles away and that address qualifies for all distant nets. I am thinking about telling a satellite provider that is where I have the service. I hate to lie but doggone it if I tell the truth I can't get HD nets via D*. Any advice will be kept secret. :cool:

Thanks

Bill G

I'd say: GO FOR IT!!! After all, you owe both places anyway, it's not that you are using somebody else's address without their permission. If you don't, may I please use your cottage address??? :D

billhdtv said:
Both E* and D* will not allow me NBC or FOX.
Bill G

Just to interject, its not the DBS providers that allows or disallows any network signals, it is the local affiliate via the NAB via the FCC that forces the DBS provider to uphold or enforce the affiliate market rules. AND yes, it is total BS.

I have always felt that if I'm willing to pay for out of market locals then I should get them.

Neutron said:
I have always felt that if I'm willing to pay for out of market locals then I should get them.

Yea I would def. second this motion...especially since some people are paying for service and their cards vanish out of unamed dbs providers systems :)

but really I would def. use your cottage addy, as you own both places what are they going to say, you are using someone elses addy or they are going to prove you never took your recievers to your cottage (you do have a spare dish up on that roof dont you so you can take your recievers with you while you are there, or leave a spare reciever down there to watch when your on vacation)

I do it right now :)

I use to live in Duluth, MN but moved back to Minneapolis. I wanted to keep the Duluth stations (for UMD hockey..see signature) :)

I told Dish I needed to change my billing address but keep my physical the same...done in 5 minutes

Heck, I use to have the physical at my lake house (135 miles away but same DMA). I was able to get Fox and CBS distants :D

I'm still considering "moving" to one of my wife's friends apartments.. (in manhattan....) One of these days one of my local stations is going to irk me enough to do it.

My E* account is in the outskirts of the Denver market, which (still) gets me NY & LA distants, Supers, plus the Denver locals pkg. (unfortunately, I only get the big 4+WB, since they moved UPN & PBS to spot beam)

My D* account is in downtown Chicago, which gets me ALL Chicago locals, PLUS the 4 HD network feeds, since all 4 local Chicago networks are O&O. I'm hoping that I will be in the Chicago spotbeam for the Chicago HD locals off the Spaceway bird. (but not counting on it)

I have absolutely NO problems sleeping at night, nor does E* or D* have problems with me paying for these - just go for it.

The only problem for me is the local's on the stations in the bedroom. The WAF (wife approval factor) that she would have to switch things to get the antenna properly doesn't do well

Neutron said:

Wunnerfull. Any other laws you are above? :no

I have to admit I'm surprised by seeing so many "YES" responses so far.
That's a sad reflection on this board.
Put me down as a "NO".

Will the next thread be "Is it okay to hack? After all, those signals are invading my home w/o my permission"

Let's face it, no one here is suggesting any type of theft of service or anything like that. There should be no reason in the world that a customer is not allowed to view any channel that they are willing to pay for. The local affiliates along with the FCC have structured their own monopolies, and other than the fact that the locals are afraid that someone might miss their commercials, there is really no good reason for it. If I could get the distant HD feeds I'd be all over it. My local affiliates don't do a very good job with SD, let alone HD broadcasting.
Just my two cents, but if you can get the distants....GO FOR IT!

voomster2 said:
Put me down as a "NO".

Will the next thread be "Is it okay to hack? After all, those signals are invading my home w/o my permission"

um, I dont think the next thread would be "can I hack".....don't even make the big guy (me) go there.

THAT ISNT CONDONED because you are not paying for service!!! Threads would be locked, nuked, or edited by mods for their personal amusement :)

I pay Dish 5.99 for Duluth locals + 1.50 for WPIX (+$5 BS fee). That's all I have subscribed to them
If I had Minneapolis locals I'd be paying $5.99 + 1.50 for WPIX + $5 BS fee

same price! Dish gets their money from me and I can enjoy Duluth locals (and UMD Hockey...GO DOGS!!)

Since the new distant rules are in place, I can't get those...no biggie
I just prefer to have locals from a different area (150 miles away)

cr0mag said:
Let's face it, no one here is suggesting any type of theft of service or anything like that. There should be no reason in the world that a customer is not allowed to view any channel that they are willing to pay for. The local affiliates along with the FCC have structured their own monopolies, and other than the fact that the locals are afraid that someone might miss their commercials, there is really no good reason for it. If I could get the distant HD feeds I'd be all over it. My local affiliates don't do a very good job with SD, let alone HD broadcasting.
Just my two cents, but if you can get the distants....GO FOR IT!

very true....and throw in the fact cable companies in some areas can offer more than one set of locals

Dish & Direct are going to be able to do that in the near future :)

voomster2 said:
Put me down as a "NO".

I'll offer my opinion here...

1) Hacking is stealing signal that everyone else pays for. End of story. No-no.

2) "moving" is only questionable because of questionable law. It's not legal to get out of market locals because the NAB has lined the pockets of lawmakers to make it so. Questioning / challenging this rule is patriotic and proper. USA! :usa USA! :)

I "moved" forty miles west to be able to get NY/LA locals in addition to my regular Atlanta locals.

I don't know if, once the new rules kick in, I'll be able to get Birmingham (or Columbus or Chattanooga for that matter) locals, as there are locals from those other markets on the local cable there, so I'd like to think so.

I have to echo the others on this board: I'm paying for them legally. Money exchanges hands from me to D*. Now are you telling me that the restraint of trade that is engaged in vis-a-vis the feds and their guidelines regarding distants is justified on those grounds? I think not.

The CSR does not care
=========================
When you call to "Move" even if you do not own or live at the place, the CSRs do not care.

Why?

Because they are part timers and get paid the same no matter what, they just want to get the call over with.

Direct TV does not Care
==============================
Why?

Becuase they get paid for the locals, more profit

The FCC does not care
======================
Why?

Because according to Direct TVs database they did it correctly. The database does not show that you "lied"

The Local Station Staff does not care
============================
Why?

Becasue they are tired of getting all the waivers that they have to do paper work on.

Who Cares?
===================

Only the Owner or Stock holders of the local station care because you are no longer watching there station for advertisements.

But wait, they must not care either, because you can not watch there station in the first place.

So I say go ahead and do it. Search on the threads for the key word "move" to find the best way to do this.

My two cents here agrees with the "Go for it" crowd. It particularly irks me that this form of protectionism is actually a law. My main beef is with the sports leagues that idiotically feel that they need to "protect" the local team. They feel that if a long time fan of one team moves to another city they will drop their long time love of their team to become a fan of the team located closest to where they live.

Technology has evolved to where you can watch each and every one of your team's games no matter where you are on the planet. Why in god's name do the owners not embrace the technology and build the Sport's franchise? After all, they compete for the fans $$$ with other sports much more that with other teams.

A perfect case in point is the enormous number of RedSox "fans" that cropped up around the country. Even removing the 67% of them who jumped on the bandwagon this year and have never heard of Yaz, you see that it would be in MLB's best interest to get all 162 BoSox games beamed into their house. Instead, they watch just about anything else besides the Pittsburgh Pirates game that is on.

So, as long as you pay for it, you should be able to get it. JMHO

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts