Is it possible to connect 2 TV's to the Genie DVR?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gary riess

Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
illinois
I would like to connect my main TV to the HDMI output and then connect my basement TV to the component output with the analog audio.This way if I'm not watching TV upstairs i can watch it, if I'm downstairs.I do understand i have to watch the same thing on both TV's. Has anyone connected their TV like this?

Good question. Not sure if the Genie allows both outputs simultaneously; I don't see why not, unless there's a hardware switch restriction.

While the point of a wireless Genie mini is for just this type of setup, an extra receiver always costs more lease fees.

Good question. Not sure if the Genie allows both outputs simultaneously; I don't see why not, unless there's a hardware switch restriction.

While the point of a wireless Genie mini is for just this type of setup, an extra receiver always costs more lease fees.
The only problem i might have is a resolution problem.

D* has started enabling HDCP on *all* channels now, so if you have the TV connected via HDMI turned off and the component one turned on, it'll pop up with a message saying "your TV isnt HDCP compliant, fix it". you use the splitter instead. you may need to use a powered HDMI splitter if its not already as well, essentially for the same reason.

Reactions: raoul5788
All the outputs are active simultaneously. However, as Zashel says, there will be HDCP copy protection on all channels, so if you are using an HDMI-connected TV and a component-connected TV, when you turn the HDMI-connected TV "off" that connection will fail the HDCP compliance test and all the outputs will be switched off.
To avoid this, you need to connect the HDMI connection through one output of a powered HDMI splitter, one that maintains HDCP compliance even when the TV is off. People have had success with splitters from monoprice and other online retailers, but you will need to do some research to make sure the one you buy works in this situation.

All powered HDMI splitters are not equal........

D* has started enabling HDCP on *all* channels now, so if you have the TV connected via HDMI turned off and the component one turned on, it'll pop up with a message saying "your TV isnt HDCP compliant, fix it". you use the splitter instead. you may need to use a powered HDMI splitter if its not already as well, essentially for the same reason.

Yup.

It will work fine on all the channels except for HBO And ESPN.

POWERED HDMI is the way to go

Not quite.
On the DVRS, for the moment only HBO and ESPN have HDCP. But on the HR44, all channels have HDCP.

I bought a Tech Choice 1 x 2 HDMI Powered Splitter from Solid Signal and it works great.
The DirecTv remote works from a distance as well.

Cheers
nigel

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts