Is it possible to use 2 OTA antenas and hook them up to one receiver?

scott78945

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
I have the Dish Network 942 and I have a Channel Master OTA antenna. I can get Fox and ABC around 74% but if I move it more to the right I can get Fox in better but then I lose ABC. Is it possible to hook up 2 OTA antennas onto one mast and then splice them together to get one cable to the receiver?

I have a channel master model 4228. Its mounted out back off of my shed. I was going to get an extension pole to try and get it over the roof of my house in hopes for a better reception. I have no way of powering a rotator in my backyard.

scott78945 said:
I have the Dish Network 942 and I have a Channel Master OTA antenna. I can get Fox and ABC around 74% but if I move it more to the right I can get Fox in better but then I lose ABC. Is it possible to hook up 2 OTA antennas onto one mast and then splice them together to get one cable to the receiver?
I have done that, and it did work for me. There was probably some signal loss, but I was able to bring in the desired station.

No effect on picture quality

scott78945 said:

If you consistently receive both stations around 74% then don't worry about it. The picture quality will not improve with a stronger signal. If however, the signal occasionally fades to where the picture pixilates or drops out, then you could use two antennas through a 1-to-2 splitter backwards as it's only a passive impedance matching device. However, the loss through the splitter may be worse than your current situation.

There two possibilities for combining TV antennas. Channel Master makes a "Join-Tenna" that's sold by Warren Electonics ( http://www.warrenelectronics.com ). It adds a single channel from a separate antenna to your main feed. However, there are channel separation rules. For VHF, it cannot be used with adjacent channels except for 4 & 5, plus 6 & 7. For UHF, 5 channels of separation are required (example, if the separate antenna for FOX is for channel 40, your other DTV stations cannot be on channels 34-39 or 41-46).

Tinlee ( http://www.tinlee.com ) is a Canadian company that makes a higher quality (and higher cost) version called a TV Channel Injector (look in "MATV Filter" section). It only requires 3 UHF channels of separation. If the separate antenna for FOX is for channel 40, your other DTV stations cannot be on channels 36-39 or 41-44.

If your UHF channel separation is less than 3 channels, Tinlee can build you a custom device (at much higher cost).

Thanks guys. I guess I will have to look into the rotator then. I always thought they were controlled by power. Quite interesting.

Yea, you can't simply combine because the milti-patch interference will kill you (slightly off reflections of the same channel coming in from both antennas).

The devices mserrano are talking about are blockers which only allow each channel to come from 1 antenna, but you must choose what channels to pass. It can get pricey.

A rotor is a pain with timer recordings or when you expand to multiple tuners (or a dual tuner recorder).

Isn't the channel master really directional? How bad is the separation of the channels your trying to pickup (antennaweb.org)? How far are you from the source?

Perhaps something like the Radio Shack UHF yagi will do you better (assuming all you Digital is UHF).

My channels are really all over the place. In one area I can get ABC and CBS, but then I lose my FOX. But then if I move it a smidge to the right again I can sort of get ABC and FOX. I guess I just have to decide what channels I want the most. You are correct as a rotator will be a pain when I try to DVR stuff. By the way, my zip is 13219 in case you want to check antennaweb.org with any suggestions.

Yes, you can add two antennas. I had the same issue with my OTA channels. All my channels are within 10 degrees of each other; however when I would aim the antenna I would get all but one. Would reposition the antenna to pick the one up and loose another!

So, I added another antenna and solved all my problems!! One antenna was in the attic, the other I placed outdoors approximately 50ft away from the attic antenna. Positioned the antennas at opposite ends of the broadcast range (i.e., one 60 and the other at 80), ran separate cables to each antenna from my receiver and combined them at the receiver end. Now I get all OTA's at 98 - 100% where as before I only got 85 - 90% and only 4 of 6 channels.

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)