Is it possible to view any program on a Direct TV DVR for the past week?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bigdaddy10

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 3, 2005
Florissant, MO.
The reason I ask this question.

I was in Sams Club in Chesterfield, MO. yesterday and I was told by the Direct TV rep that they now have the capabilities to go to anywhere on your guide up to a week in the past and you can play anything. He said that everything in the guide is stored in the cloud and you can access any of this data as long as your dvr (genie) has been on for a week.

I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything because I am a Dish subscriber but if this technology is possible, This is a major jump in technology over the hopper. If it is possible, I will be switching to Direct as soon as my contract is up with Dish. He made a lot of promises and if he can deliver on them I have no choice but to change providers and gladly so with no reservations.

The reason I ask this question. I was in Sams Club in Chesterfield, MO. yesterday and I was told by the Direct TV rep that they now have the capabilities to go to anywhere on your guide up to a week in the past and you can play anything. He said that everything in the guide is stored in the cloud and you can access any of this data as long as your dvr (genie) has been on for a week. I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything because I am a Dish subscriber but if this technology is possible, This is a major jump in technology over the hopper. If it is possible, I will be switching to Direct as soon as my contract is up with Dish. He made a lot of promises and if he can deliver on them I have no choice but to change providers and gladly so with no reservations.

You my friend have been had. This has no merit at all, just a salesman, well, selling.

Actually the sales person was talking with a glass half empty. You can go here for listings up to 1 year in the past or future. http://tvtango.com/listings

No the sales person was straight wrong, you're the one with a glass half full. There is no way to do what the OP was told with a directv receiver. You're posting a link for anybody with any carrier can use with use of a smart tv (I assume), tablet, laptop, or desktop computer.

No the sales person was straight wrong, you're the one with a glass half full. There is no way to do what the OP was told with a directv receiver. You're posting a link for anybody with any carrier can use with use of a smart tv (I assume), tablet, laptop, or desktop computer.
We all know that. Do you want to retract the statement you just made regarding me. Again, the salesperson at Sam's Club is the one with the Glass half full.

If you also took the time to look at the link I posted, it has nothing to do with Smart Tv's, Smartphones, tablets, desktop computers. It is what the OP was asking about, if there is a way to look at past TV channel info. I gave the link, so if you want to start calling people names or degrading them, then go somewhere else.

I didn't think it was possible but I really wanted to post it here so that everyone could get a chuckle. I really wanted to believe it but when I did 30 seconds worth of research and could not find anything about this, I knew right away he was talking out of his a**.

I sure hope no one bought this system expecting this to happen. I specifically asked how is this possible. He just told me, "Its the Genie, It can do anything". He then went on to quote me a price of $89.99 for the Premiere package forever on 6 HD televisions. I asked if I could get 2 genies and he said it was possible. After researching the multi genies possibility I found that to be untrue as well as the price being incorrect. In his defense, he did say I would have some up front cost and that only one of the genies would be free.

I have a lot of respect for Direct and know for a fact that they do things differently and in some cases better than Dish. I'm a guy set in my ways and know the Dish system inside and out so it is hard for me to do the switcheroo thing every 2 yrs like some do so they can always keep a lower price. In cases like this, how can this person be helping them. They don't deserve to have their product lied about like this. They are in a no win situation when out right lies are spouted.

Last edited:
We all know that. Do you want to retract the statement you just made regarding me. Again, the salesperson at Sam's Club is the one with the Glass half full. If you also took the time to look at the link I posted, it has nothing to do with Smart Tv's, Smartphones, tablets, desktop computers. It is what the OP was asking about, if there is a way to look at past TV channel info. I gave the link, so if you want to start calling people names or degrading them, then go somewhere else.
I think you missed the part about going back in the guide for 10 days and PLAYING any show you select.

Despite his DirecTV shirt, the rep at Sams does NOT work for DirecTV, he works for a local dealer. You should not believe anything those reps tell you.

I didn't think it was possible but I really wanted to post it here so that everyone could get a chuckle. I really wanted to believe it but when I did 30 seconds worth of research and could not find anything about this, I knew right away he was talking out of his a**.

I sure hope no one bought this system expecting this to happen. I specifically asked how is this possible. He just told me, "Its the Genie, It can do anything". He then went on to quote me a price of $89.99 for the Premiere package forever on 6 HD televisions. I asked if I could get 2 genies and he said it was possible. After researching the multi genies possibility I found that to be untrue as well as the price being incorrect. In his defense, he did say I would have some up front cost and that only one of the genies would be free.

I have a lot of respect for Direct and know for a fact that they do things differently and in some cases better than Dish. I'm a guy set in my ways and know the Dish system inside and out so it is hard for me to do the switcheroo thing every 2 yrs like some do so they can always keep a lower price. In cases like this, how can this person be helping them. They don't deserve to have their product lied about like this. They are in a no win situation when out right lies are spouted.

Despite his DirecTV shirt, the rep at Sams does NOT work for DirecTV, he works for a local dealer. You should not believe anything those reps tell you.

That goes for the others you find as well, ones at Best Buy , Costco, Menards as well as any others ...

Fwiw, they don't always Lie, but they more than likely get paid by the sale they make.

I think you missed the part about going back in the guide for 10 days and PLAYING any show you select.
That is where the OnDemand comes in handy. If a program played on tv, guaranteed, there is going to be a copy of all or some of it online. If I miss something, I want to watch it due to we forgot to DVR it, I try to find it on OnDemand, or search online for it. Either at Youtube, Netflix, Amazon, the news website if it was a news broadcast.

so if you want to start calling people names or degrading them, then go somewhere else.

Did not notice that poster calling you any names, or degrading you. this is a FORUM, and people may say things you don't like.

Saying you are a glass half full kinda guy does not seem insulting at all to me.

If you don't like what people say maybe YOU could go somewhere else. not trying to be a TOTAL d**k, and sorry if my post offends you.

I'm Guessing he was confused about on DEMAND as well as the new GENIE feature, when connected to the internet store some content from SOME channels in a Hidden storage area on the Hard Drive of the receiver for later instant playback.

I'm Guessing he was confused about on DEMAND as well as the new GENIE feature, when connected to the internet store some content from SOME channels in a Hidden storage area on the Hard Drive of the receiver for later instant playback.

I know for a fact he was talking about data from the guide. He specifically said that anything on the guide from up to a week back can be played. Another question, cn you actually go back to a previous date in Direct Tv receivers?

And for your information, ALL local retailers are NOT crooks.. Many of us know more than most DISH installers will ever learn in their life and we take pride in our work and what we say. Be very careful with your generalizations. We are not all bad. Around here, the guys that hang around Sam's club Actually are working for the DirecTV local office.

And for your information, ALL local retailers are NOT crooks.. Many of us know more than most DISH installers will ever learn in their life and we take pride in our work and what we say. Be very careful with your generalizations. We are not all bad. Around here, the guys that hang around Sam's club Actually are working for the DirecTV local office.

I'm not bashing those guys HOWEVER I can't even start on how many jobs have been canceled cause everything the customer was told during the sale was complete BS and we techs have to tell them the reality of the systems we're installing. As for SAMs club doing the actual install, I'd prolly lose my job beating the morons that call themselves installers. Just today alone I had a service call, typical searching for signal, I get there to find a slimline mounted to an old dish network mast with no supports. They used a piece of PVC over the mount to make it fit and then put the dish on the mast, let's not talk about the dish LAYING on the roof cause the mast couldn't support the weight. Now cabling, dual wire coming down with 2 barrels in it going in to a splitter laying in the snow with all 4 lines being RG59.
Yes, this is the outcome on every single SAMs club, best buy, and to your door seller/installer installation. People can tell me otherwise but I see this on a daily basis and know differently.

I'm not bashing those guys HOWEVER I can't even start on how many jobs have been canceled cause everything the customer was told during the sale was complete BS and we techs have to tell them the reality of the systems we're installing. As for SAMs club doing the actual install, I'd prolly lose my job beating the morons that call themselves installers. Just today alone I had a service call, typical searching for signal, I get there to find a slimline mounted to an old dish network mast with no supports. They used a piece of PVC over the mount to make it fit and then put the dish on the mast, let's not talk about the dish LAYING on the roof cause the mast couldn't support the weight. Now cabling, dual wire coming down with 2 barrels in it going in to a splitter laying in the snow with all 4 lines being RG59.
Yes, this is the outcome on every single SAMs club, best buy, and to your door seller/installer installation. People can tell me otherwise but I see this on a daily basis and know differently.

Come on Hutch,

Not EVERY Sams or where ever sale turns out that way ... :)

I swing by Costco often and talk with a few of the D* Sales people ....
They are very understanding when they figure out that you know what your talking about and they can't fluff you.

I actually help them to learn things that they don't know about ...and listen to what they are told to see how accurate thier info is.

They are not all bad, but you have to figure out if they KNOW what they are talking about first. Those are the ones I help.

Picture a salesperson selling you TV's, they might or might not tell you reality of that product, just what you want to hear, But all depends on the experience of that seller, For that reason it's better to research yourself, or call Dish or Directv directly
Better commission for better sales, Not everybody is doing it just for better pay though, some take their time explaining it to you, though not everything that could be researched online.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I know for a fact he was talking about data from the guide. He specifically said that anything on the guide from up to a week back can be played. Another question, cn you actually go back to a previous date in Direct Tv receivers?
Remember that types like this salesperson, were making statements that Plasma HDTV's could not be laid down, due to the plasma would leak out. Even better was that they would tell consumers that they would have to have their Plasma TV recharged after a few years.

The first clue that the sales person was not walking around with a full picnic basket, was when they started to make claims that you could do stuff on the DVr's, that is impossible. I would contact Direct and give them the company and store location & store name, that this sales person was making false claims, so that Direct's people can take care of fixing the problem.

But really if you want to know what was on in the past week, use the site I posted. Any shows listed, you can find them either on the broadcaster's website, the sports network site which you may have to pay to watch, or on OnDemand on any provider that has that channel in their OnDemand service.

Status
Please reply by conversation.